Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-05, 11:00 AM  
Janine

Body Weight Scales

I know this has been dicussed before but does anyone have one of the scales that measures your body fat. I was wondering how accurate they really are. Are they worthwhile buying or just a waste of money?
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 03:36 PM  
willwolf

I have a scale/body fat monitor. I've never been sure that the body fat is accurate. The other day I was at a sports store, and tried a Tanita model there (mine is not Tanita, but I don't remember the brand). My body fat was 3% less with the Tanita than my version. I'm believing the Tanita . I tend to think that the scales w/body fat monitors are not extremely accurate. They are good for tracking progress, though. Even if the exact % mine gives me is not totally accurate, I at least know if I'm moving in the right direction. If anyone has a brand that is more accurate, I'd love to hear about it.
willwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 03:53 PM  
Gymmie

I've known folks who have had Tanita's and have had their BF measured proffessionaly and they say it's off by about 7%. And if I remember right, Tanita's literature says the scales are off by 7-8%.
“Think about Corey. Right at the finish line and his body gave up after one mile. You’re looking at yourself and if you have 100 plus pounds to lose, your body wants to be healthy.”--Bob Harper on Contestant Corey Pinkerton TBL10

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.

Beachbody Coach
Gymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 04:55 PM  
willwolf

% High or Low?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymmie
I've known folks who have had Tanita's and have had their BF measured proffessionaly and they say it's off by about 7%. And if I remember right, Tanita's literature says the scales are off by 7-8%.
Does it give you a reading that is 7-8% too high or too low? I'd love to hear that the reading was too high!
willwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 07:20 PM  
mimikz

Last month's Prevention magazine had ratings for scales.

Prevention Scale Ratings

Within the brief article, there's a link (.pdf) to the actual page from the magazine. They rated accuracy compared to, among other things, hydrostatic weighing. I ordered a Homedics one based on this.

Mimi
mimikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 12:09 AM  
Gymmie

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwolf
Does it give you a reading that is 7-8% too high or too low? I'd love to hear that the reading was too high!
Sorry 'bout that...on the high side
“Think about Corey. Right at the finish line and his body gave up after one mile. You’re looking at yourself and if you have 100 plus pounds to lose, your body wants to be healthy.”--Bob Harper on Contestant Corey Pinkerton TBL10

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.

Beachbody Coach
Gymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 12:26 PM  
rubyspirit
VF Supporter

Lightbulb How about hand held...

I have a Omron Body Fat Analyzer HBF-306. It is very accurate and has a lot of options. I bought mine off eBay cheap! I believe Amazon carries them (not sure about this particular model).

I never liked the calipers.
Old 02-19-05, 12:42 PM  
hannahsmom

I have a Tanita scale. I just bought it several weeks ago and I think it is a little off too. It has water % and body fat. It was funny because I went to doctor last week and was sick and I weighed 3 pounds more at doctor's office than at home. I know one day I hardly ate any fat at all and the scale said otherwise. So I don't think it is all that accurate. If I had a choice to buy another scale I would still probably buy Tanita brand (heard it was good) but not with extra stuff on it.
hannahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scale, tanita body fat scale