Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-05, 02:55 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I'm another who finds IM jargon very hard to decipher--N sted of speeding things up (for example) I have to spend lots of time figuring out what the code is for. What is the point of using this method to communicate via email--it's not like we're charged by the letter, are we? I can see the point of minimizing keystrokes on teeny phone keys, but that's not the situation here.

And, no, I don't text message

ETA: I'm agnostic about oatmeal. It can be yummy, but always deserts me far before lunchtime.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 05:50 AM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

I love oatmeal! Yum! I like it with defrosted frozen fruit (like blueberries), a big spoonful of cottage cheese, and a packet of splenda.

By the way- I use a 'quick cooking' steel cut oats (made by McCann's). Says on the box, "cooks in 5 minutes", but I bring the water/milk to a boil, stir in the oatmeal, cover with a lid, turn off the heat and walk away for about 7 minutes. This gets the texture I like, without the "gumminess" you can get when you over stir oatmeal. Also, I salt my oatmeal after it's cooked. (I think I learned about the stirring and the salt from Alton Brown on Good Eats)

dianairene1973, thanks for the tip on soaking regular steel cut overnight! I'm going to try that.

To those of you having a problem with making it in the crockpot/slow cooker. It may possibly be the size of your crockpot. Especially if it's burning around the edges. I'd love to try it out, but all the recipes seem to call for a small sized crockpot- mine is a big jumbo one (5-6 quarts) and it's just too big to properly cook small meals in.

By the way, I don't get the text-message speak either- drives me nut. What in the world is "pink moon 4 me"? Is this a way of saying you have your period?

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Clare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 05:58 AM  
Kyra

I've been on a pumpkin jag since before (b4) thanksgiving. Anything I can find an excuse to put it in, I put it in. I even have a great pumpkin pudding dessert (basically, pumpkin mixed with spices and sugar free, fat free vanilla pudding mix) that is just - yum. Pumpkin is high in fiber and considered by some to be a power food (lots of nutrients). That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I find looking forward to it after a workout to be motivational

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 07:07 AM  
ooty

jennifer...

Hi Jennifer,

What does not desert you before lunch-time? I have tried all combinations and am usually hungry within a hour or 2 after breakfast (only vegetarian options, sometimes I eat an egg).

And when I am bored at work, my mind is screaming...food, food, food...

Ooty
PS Love oatmeal
ooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 08:41 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O

I've never heard of a 'food lag' either, but if it is an obsession, mine is mixing Cool Whip and International Coffee Sugar Free Swiss Mocha powder into what becomes chocolate cool whip - and we're talking an amount like a bowl of ice cream.
OMG, this sounds incredible....

I go off on buttermilk occasionally. I love the stuff. Its like liquid cheese. And I am a cheesehead of the first degree.
Best buttermilk I ever had was in Florida, surprisingly...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 08:47 AM  
Kimberly33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnee
I find reading the IM texts very frustating as well. Occasionally a student will use it in an email to me and it irks me to no end mostly because students seem to lose all sense of how to be courteous and polite when they interact via email. But that's a different story...
I teach at a university and require my students to send me "formal" email--a salutation, a body, and a name at the end. I tell them that there is no reason to annoy me over something like email, and that it's good practice for them to think of their audience when communicating. I refuse to answer them until they're in that format. Some of my students will end up working in tech firms where I suspect anything goes, but I figure that many of them will be expected to communicate more clearly and it's good for them to get in that habit.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 09:56 AM  
twodiffsocks

Hi Ya'll,

*ducks from everyone throwing food at me* FIRST, let me apologize for the IM talk. i normally talk that way in my emails & forgot to switch over to "normal" on the message boards.

2nd-- lag, log, jag, food obsession--oops, my bad. wrong word again. I'll retype it so everyone can understand & remember to type "normal" again
Hi Ya'll,

i've just notice that i'm having a food obesssion. i've been lookin bach at my workout/heath log and notice this year is Fresh Pineapple. a year ago--mini bagels with peanut butter. year before that-- hard boiled eggs. 3rd year ago--oatmeal with regular milk & brown sugar.

so, does anyone else have food obesssion?

btw, i just realise.....its pink moon for me. so instead of killing someone for chocolate..its pineapple. the horror of it all.....no chocolate!

thanks for everyone who replied NOW, i gotta go eat some pineapple..so, i'm guessing i'm still my wonderful charming not normal self if i get on a food obession??

Faith to All!!

P.S. Call me Socks--easier on the fingers

"There ain't no rest for the wicked,
Money don't grow on trees.
I got bills to pay,
I got mouths to feed,
There ain't nothing in this world for free.
I know I can't slow down,
I can't hold back,
Though you know, I wish I could.
No there ain't no rest for the wicked,
Until we close our eyes for good".
Ain't No Rest For The Wicked -Cage The Elephant

"I dare you to do better." Christopher Pike
Start Trek {2009}

twodiffsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 10:25 AM  
Barb L
VF Supporter

Ah, Socks weighs in at last!

My, how this thread has wandered from food jags to IM to cooking oatmeal to munching Craisins (new to me--sound delicious!)

I'm on a VF Forum jag myself, and this has been most satisfying.
Old 01-25-05, 10:28 AM  
antbuko

Speaking of Craisins

The dried blueberries and cherries are also quite tasty. What are those called - blaisins and chaisins?
Old 01-25-05, 11:06 AM  
Deanna
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko
dried blueberries What are those called? blaisins
LOL, this rolls off the tongue in a humorous way, doesn't it?

I've never tried most of these dried fruits, I'm going to have to sometime soon.

Tags
crockpot