Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-23, 06:05 PM  
loulou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I don't THINK I have thin skin, but I have noticed that my skin has been looking more crepey lately. And my feet are a disaster. Does anyone have any tips for exfoliating the feet? I've used the thing that looks like a cheese grater and all kinds of other tools. Inevitably, they just look bad again within the week. I am barefoot a lot though, so maybe that doesn't help? Neither does the NJ hard water, even though I have a water softener and well water. Or maybe I just need to be more consistent?

As for the skin, dry skin brushing does help (except for my feet). I may need to get back to that. Has anyone tried the Sasquatch exfoliating soaps? Shows up on youtube for me all the time.
This works very well for feet:

https://www.amazon.com/File-Nano-Rem...s%2C184&sr=8-9

Mine took weeks to get here though so I found this one that works almost as well and is easier to handle.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Czech...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Unlike anything else I have found they keep them smoother quite a bit longer and get to the really tough parts. The first one you have to be a bit more cautious with.

Where does everyone get their raw honey? What I’ve found either crystallizes or is very expensive for a small jar.
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 07:28 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou View Post
Where does everyone get their raw honey? What I’ve found either crystallizes or is very expensive for a small jar.
I have a friend whose husband is a beekeeper and buy from them in a pint jar. I have also bought it at local natural food co ops.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 07:42 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks Loulou and Adawn! I will get the tools and the Tree Hut scrub for my feet.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 09:33 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I don't THINK I have thin skin, but I have noticed that my skin has been looking more crepey lately. And my feet are a disaster. Does anyone have any tips for exfoliating the feet? I've used the thing that looks like a cheese grater and all kinds of other tools. Inevitably, they just look bad again within the week. I am barefoot a lot though, so maybe that doesn't help? Neither does the NJ hard water, even though I have a water softener and well water. Or maybe I just need to be more consistent?
For feet, I'm prone to developing thick callouses and dead skin (especially on the heels). I think it's partly genetic as my dad had the same issue. I've tried the ped egg, the cheese grater/microplaner, the motorized sandpaper foam rollers, soaking and using a sandpaper-like foot file, soaking and using a pumice stone, a lava pumice stone, probably more over the years.

IME, I had to eventually ditch most sandpaper and all cheesegrater/microplaners. There are a few things I am doing that work:

1. Consistency in everything below.

3. Apply moisturizer* before putting on socks if you're wearing socks that day, especially right after showering or soaking feet.

3. Wear gel heel socks after moisturizing* every night. I wear the men's size because my feet are currently a bit fatter than usual. I like zentoes but my brother uses another brand on amazon that looks similar:

For larger feet:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZHKGKZ6/

For smaller feet:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075JN1HPQ/

After certain at-home foot regimens like soaks and scrubs, I will moisturize and wear FULLY lined gel socks but they're difficult to walk in and sweaty and hot so I can usually only manage an hour or so while laying on the couch.

*4. Moisturizing:

--If you have open cracks that hurt, before putting on gel heel socks (or at the very least regular socks), begin with applying Aquaphor or Vaseline or this Cetaphil CREAM or this Cerave Cream

Sam's Club and/or Costco usually have the best prices on these items.

--If you don't have open cracks that hurt (or once the cracks have mostly closed, IME the only "exfoliator" that works is to apply a cream with chemicals in it and wear gel heel socks or regular socks overnight. I've only ever used gel heel socks so can't vouch for how effective wearing regular socks would be.

Choices for chemical creams to use at night, in no particular order:

1. O'Keefe's Healthy Feet

2. Flexitol Heel Balm

3. PurOrganica Urea 40% Foot Cream (FWIW, I tested Flexitol Heel Balm on one foot and PurOrganica's product on the other every night for weeks and both worked the same IME)

4. The only one still in my closet, a recent addition that is recommended by my dermatologist: SDIN Foot Care Cream, Uradin Podos Gel Oil

If you use one of these products every night with gel heel socks and also moisturize after showers/soaking, it will eat away at/exfoliate away the dead callous skin and flakes (sorry if TMI). The creams don't hurt or smell weird. (Though don't apply them to cracked heels until they close up a bit or else they might sting.)

5. Okay to soak feet every so often for 20-30 minutes and gently scrub them with a scrub and/or pumice stone (go easy with the pumice stone though--you're not carving out granite faces in Mt. Rushmore here). Always moisturize heavily afterwards.

6. The "Baby Feet/Foot" product.

I've done it twice now. Talked over tips and tricks with the girl from the dermatologist office so 2nd time went better/more effective.

All I'll say is it's not an easy magical cure/quick fix if you have tough feet. It requires a lot of time over weeks where you're soaking your feet every day. Not everyone has the luxury of this kind of time to dedicate to soaking feet. This post would turn into a dissertation if I explained more about effective baby feet protocol so I'll leave it at that.

Baby feet, if you chose to go that route, does however give you a good jumpstart though and is FAR preferable IME to the endless cycle of filing/grating your feet only to have the callouses come back and sometimes you file off too much skin in certain areas leading eventually to cracked feet for that reason.

But if you ever get your feet in good shape by any method, the key is to use one of those chemical creams daily to keep the dead skin buildup at bay. And for me, gel heel socks at night are a must.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 11:19 PM  
Leonana

I’ve heard that some people use the Ordinary 30% AHA Peeling Solution on their feet. It’s very strong, so you have to be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I also fear them discontinuing the Olay gentle cleanser!!! My local Target stopped carrying it in store about a year ago even though they still carry the slightly more expensive Olay foaming cleanser formulations. I can get it online from Target if I order enough for free shipping and Woodmans (grocery store chain) still carries it and sometimes has a $1 off digital coupon I can use.

It's the only cleanser I've found where my skin doesn't feel "stripped"/dry afterwards and it never burns around my eyes or any blemishes.
I’m still finding it at my Target, also Walmart and Walgreens. I was buying it every time I was in the store to stock up, but I have enough for awhile.
Old 04-23-23, 12:15 PM  
furmomof6

You're welcome, Daffie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou View Post

You can use the crystalized part! That acts as a good scrub, too. I get a 16oz jar from a local farmer's market/grocery type store for $10. It's pricey, but it lasts a long time for me.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-23, 02:29 PM  
donnamp

Bubbles -

For Feet I will sometimes use an exfoliating mask that I find a CVS. It has AHA and little plastic booties you wear with the solution on your feet for 30 min. I have found these at CVS.

Here are some samples of what I found/have used:

https://www.cvs.com/search?searchTerm=foot%20mask

I usually use one of these to start the summer/sandal season off and then if I need to use it again at some point during the summer I will.

It isn't dramatic amounts of peeling or anything - but it does work for me.

For "maintenance" I like:

Kerasil Intensive Foot Repair - this is like vaseline - I will put it on and then put socks on over top.

Other foot creams I have liked are the ones by Gold Bond.

I think it is more consistency than anything else - if I'm good with moisturizing my feet regularly - a few times a week - (daily to start if I have been neglectful!) this seems to keep them looking decent!

For body lotions - I have heard good things about some of the new Gold Bond lotions - there is a body & face retinol lotion and a body & face vitamin C lotion.

I haven't used these yet - but next time I need a body lotion I'm going to try them out.

I tend to slack off on moisturizing my body - b/c I hate getting dressed if I feel greasy. So I need to find a lotion that absorbs quickly.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-23, 09:59 AM  
Leonana

Donna, Dr. Dray recommends Kerasil. I need to get better about taking care of my feet!
Old 04-24-23, 11:14 AM  
bubbles76

Thank you everyone so, so much! ADawn, like you I tried all those tools (pumices, lava rocks, etc.). I have not tried gel socks, so will also order a pair. I have the O'Keefe's so that makes me happy. Thankfully, I don't have cracks.

Donnamp I have tried a foot peel mask once, the one with the booties, so may have to try it again. Kind of creeped me out honestly lol but maybe if I'm consistent with it then my feet will get better.

Maybe the key is consistency and using all the tools together - foot peel, gel socks with a regular moisturizer, then the O'Keefe's (or Kerasils) and glass exfoliator once I'm over the peel? I tend to only try one or two things at a time. Summer is almost here and I'll be spending time at a pool. I need cute feet lol!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-23, 02:59 PM  
MoFirmer

I had horrible feet. Until I started using a glass file on them and then "slugging" them. I put on my normal foot cream (I have one now that has olive oil in it) and then I put on Aquaphor on top of that and socks to seal it in overnight. One week of this and my feet changed!!

Tags
beauty, beauty products, beauty thread, exfoliation, feet, gloves, off topic, off-topic, skin, sunscreen