Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-23, 10:56 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I had shingles when I was pregnant and 36. My husband has also had shingles, probably 10 years ago. Our family practice dr said it is compromised immune system and stress that triggers shingles. Both dh and I have had chicken pox and mumps and yes those were the days that you just caught those childhood illnesses.
My first case around age 45 was due to stress. I had it again at age 62, and I think it was because I was on steriods for an allergic reaction to a medicine I was prescribed. I guess steroids lower your immune system. Looking back, I would have been better off not taking any of the medications, but hindsight is 20/20.
Old 04-13-23, 11:50 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Yes, you can get it multiple times and you can still get it after receiving the vaccines, albeit a milder form.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-23, 01:39 PM  
Dabbadooey

I have had shingles three times. Each time diagnosed by a doctor. First time in my 20's, second in my late 30's, and third time time in my late 50's. I was not under any particular stress any of those times.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-23, 04:53 PM  
hypnomoon

My husband has had it twice, as well.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-23, 07:45 PM  
Diana3271

I have also had them twice. The first time it was when my Mom was diagnosed with cancer. I had extreme pain for six month but didn't know what it was because the rash had not erupted or came out yet. The rash finally came out and it was diagnosed by a doctor. I took a round of antiviral meds for it but it didn't heal very quickly. I should have went back to the Dr. to get more meds but I didn't. A few years ago I had pain and a rash develop on my neck on a Saturday morning. Funny story, I didn't even change from my pajamas. I went to the Urgent care place in my pajamas to get help. I took two rounds of antiviral meds for it to clear up. Since then I have taken the Shingrix vaccine.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-23, 02:51 PM  
Scorpio6

Yes you can

We have a friend who got shingles 6 times. Destroyed his life and finances.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-23, 01:24 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I had a burning sensation in my upper back a few months ago. It felt like I had a bad sunburn, but there was no blistering rash or any redness to the skin. Later when I went for my pre-op physical I asked the doctor about it and he said it was probably shingles. I didn’t even realize you could get shingles without any outward symptoms - not even a redness to the skin.
When I got it I didn’t have the blistering or redness associated with shingles. Dr. said that was because I had the Shingrix vaccines (many months prior) and the case was milder.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 02:24 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
We have a friend who got shingles 6 times. Destroyed his life and finances.
I’m sorry to hear that. I hope he’s doing better.
Old 04-23-23, 08:59 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

YOu can definitely get shingles multiple times. However, you can ONLY get shingles if you have had chicken pox. Shingles is simply reactivated chicken pox virus. So, for kids these days who are vaccinated and never have chicken pox, they will never have shingles. So hopefully, shingles will slowly, over the years, as those kids grow up, become a non-issue just like smallpox.

They recommend that you get the Shingrix vaccine even if you don't remember having had chicken pox, though, because you may have been exposed to chicken pox and just not remember it (I, for instance, had chicken pox at 6 months of age when my older brothers had it.)

However, as the generations of people who've never had chicken pox ages, shingles will become a thing of the past.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-23, 09:05 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I never had chicken pox. I was even tested and it was confirmed I never had it. So my reasoning is I can't get shingles. However, I can get chicken pox from someone with shingles. If that happens, then I guess I can get shingles eventually. I asked my doctor and she seemed stumped by the whole thing. Not very reassuring.

ETA - Susan, so that means if you have the chicken pox vaccine you don't have the chicken pox virus in you? Hmmm interesting
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
off topic, off-topic, shingles, shingles vaccination, shingrix