Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-23, 10:38 PM  
bfit

Completely OT: Can you get shingles more than once?

I have an inquiry in to my doctor about this too, but I thought I would ask here. I had shingles about 9 months ago for the first time (I'm 66). Unfortunately, I didn't know what it was at first, and by the time I went to the doctor the antiviral drugs didn't do a lot of good, and I was left with some residual pain that lasted for months. Then a couple of weeks ago my husband brought COVID home from work, and I was exposed before we knew what he had. I never got COVID, but I got shingles again. This time I knew what it was and got to urgent care right away and got the right medication. I didn't know someone could get shingles more than once. Does anyone know anything about this? For what it's worth I am vaccinated for shingles (with the new Shingrix shots) (and vaccinated for COVID too) so this is all kind of concerning to me. I haven't been sick otherwise except for the shingles.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-23, 11:56 PM  
Leonana

Yes, I’ve had it twice. Once 20 years ago and then again last summer.
Old 04-13-23, 12:35 AM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

So sorry you are dealing with shingles. My Mother has had shingles twice. Once in the 1970s (she was in her mid 20s) and again about 10 years ago (it almost got into her eye). I think she has had the Shingrix vaccines since. I am in my 50s now, have had the vaccines and hope they are effective.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-23, 05:18 AM  
Carol K

My mother-in-law got shingles several times. She never got the old shingles vaccine, because she decided without asking a doctor that it wouldn't be effective on someone who had already had shingles. She died in 2013, so that was before Shingrix was released.
Old 04-13-23, 07:49 AM  
buffmama

The virus typically lays dormant in your body but an immunocompromised state (infect, stress etc) can reactivate it. When kids used to get chickenpox older people's immune systems were 'boosted' by that exposure and there was less shingles activation.
Old 04-13-23, 08:16 AM  
donnamp

Buffmama - that is interesting about the connection between kids not getting chickenpox anymore and an increase in shingles.

Bfit, you can definitely get it more than once. Maybe the COVID exposure taxed your immune system which caused the Shingles to reappear.

I had Shingles in 2019 after a period of stress. I am on the fence about Shingrix though - I am 55 and haven't gotten the shot yet. My DH who also had Shingles recently got the first dose of the Shringrix vaccine and got sick from it and he never reacts to vaccines. I react badly to all vaccines, so I am concerned about getting the Shringix vaccine. I know I'm playing with fire a bit and I can't rely on having had Shingles as protection against getting it in the future. But vaccines really do take a toll on me. the COVID ones did a number on me, too. When I had Shingles I did get the anti-virals right away and my case was pretty mild all things considered. I also know that getting Shringix doesn't mean you can't get Shingles either....so I just have to decide at some point about the vaccine and if it is worth it for me or not.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-23, 08:18 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
The virus typically lays dormant in your body but an immunocompromised state (infect, stress etc) can reactivate it. When kids used to get chickenpox older people's immune systems were 'boosted' by that exposure and there was less shingles activation.
This is interesting and makes perfect sense. I got chickenpox in 5th grade and was home sick for a week. My brothers fell to the chickenpox virus soon after. When my mother died, I found the journal of those weeks in the fall of 1966. She was caring for sick kids for over 2 months (3 brothers who fell, one by one, like dominoes). Mom died young, from an aneurism in her heart, but she was never really sick with anything more than on occasional head cold. Those were the days when we just got sick. Mom would phone the town pharmacist for advice, which usually was rest and liquids. I had measles in 1st grade, and infected my brothers, too.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-23, 08:34 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
This is interesting and makes perfect sense. I got chickenpox in 5th grade and was home sick for a week. My brothers fell to the chickenpox virus soon after. When my mother died, I found the journal of those weeks in the fall of 1966. She was caring for sick kids for over 2 months (3 brothers who fell, one by one, like dominoes). Mom died young, from an aneurism in her heart, but she was never really sick with anything more than on occasional head cold. Those were the days when we just got sick. Mom would phone the town pharmacist for advice, which usually was rest and liquids. I had measles in 1st grade, and infected my brothers, too.
I had shingles when I was pregnant and 36. My husband has also had shingles, probably 10 years ago. Our family practice dr said it is compromised immune system and stress that triggers shingles. Both dh and I have had chicken pox and mumps and yes those were the days that you just caught those childhood illnesses.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-23, 08:40 AM  
Carol K

My husband got the second Shingrix vaccine and the measles vaccine at the same time and had no reaction at all. So there's no telling how it will affect an individual.
Old 04-13-23, 09:15 AM  
Gams

I had a burning sensation in my upper back a few months ago. It felt like I had a bad sunburn, but there was no blistering rash or any redness to the skin. Later when I went for my pre-op physical I asked the doctor about it and he said it was probably shingles. I didn’t even realize you could get shingles without any outward symptoms - not even a redness to the skin.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
off topic, off-topic, shingles, shingles vaccination, shingrix