Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-23, 04:14 PM  
prettyinpink

I forgot to add that the Stronger than Your Boyfriend podcast did an episode on this Feb 14. Heavy Weight, Light Weight, and Everything in Between.
That’s where I heard the example of different exercises with different rep ranges.

There are lots of good podcasts and web sites, but what I like about this one is that they are short and get right to the point. No ads except they mention their own training services.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-23, 04:42 PM  
alisoncooks

I suppose it all depends on your end goal. Correct or not, I知 of the mindset that as long as I am using my muscles and fairly regularly challenging myself, then I知 doing my body good. I only have dumbbells up to 20 pounds at my house but I can work within that. I know I will not achieve body builder level muscles with my limitations. I知 cool with that.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-23, 07:28 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I suppose it all depends on your end goal. Correct or not, I知 of the mindset that as long as I am using my muscles and fairly regularly challenging myself, then I知 doing my body good. I only have dumbbells up to 20 pounds at my house but I can work within that. I know I will not achieve body builder level muscles with my limitations. I知 cool with that.
Me too!
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-23, 08:56 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Same!

I try to do a lot of bodyweight exercises in addition to weights, too.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-23, 10:52 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I was thinking about this thread as I was doing a Caroline Iron workout this morning. That Iron rotation seemed to be great for many of us. I'm a huge Cathe fan, but there seemed to be something that was more effective with Iron. I think I hit on it this morning... the tempo. I think I do less overall work with that rotation than I do with a Cathe rotation, but see more improvement, and I think it comes down to the slower lifting tempo allows me to lift just a bit heavier and really focus on the muscle(s) I'm working. Sometimes when I'm doing Cathe workouts (maybe more than sometimes), I tend to not push myself so hard on each move because I know there's so much coming, and I'm trying to sort of save myself. With the Iron workouts, I know they are short and I can get through them, so I push myself to lift a bit heavier (but not crazy so), and I think that's where the "magic" comes in. Can anyone else relate to this or am I off my rocker?
Old 03-08-23, 10:56 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh and p.s., I meant to add that part of the reason I am so excited about STS 2.0 is that it seems like Cathe is going at a slower tempo in most of the clips, and I'm hoping the overall work (or maybe shortened premixes) will be more in line with what seems to work for me. Sometimes less is more, I guess.
Old 03-08-23, 11:31 PM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I'm a huge Cathe fan, but there seemed to be something that was more effective with Iron. I think I hit on it this morning... the tempo. I think I do less overall work with that rotation than I do with a Cathe rotation, but see more improvement, and I think it comes down to the slower lifting tempo allows me to lift just a bit heavier and really focus on the muscle(s) I'm working. Sometimes when I'm doing Cathe workouts (maybe more than sometimes), I tend to not push myself so hard on each move because I know there's so much coming, and I'm trying to sort of save myself. With the Iron workouts, I know they are short and I can get through them, so I push myself to lift a bit heavier (but not crazy so), and I think that's where the "magic" comes in.
Thanks for sharing this! I don't do tons of Youtube workouts, but your description makes me interested in Caroline, who I've only read a bit about. I have great respect for Cathe, and currently doing STS, but the holding back issue makes perfect sense! Would Caroline be a good after-STS option?
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-23, 12:13 AM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

I forgot to add reply for Nelly I agree with others that results depends on your personal goal. Over the years I have built muscle and had nice results from my old FIRM videos, Cathe, P90X, Chalean Extreme, KCM, and kettlebells (mostly Lauren Brooks and the old Skogg set). I've also enjoyed mixing in Barre, Margaret Richard, and some Tracy Anderson although I've done them less often. It all has it's place. I don't have much experience with the streaming/YouTube instructors.

I'm post-menopausal now Just got a pair of 35 lb dumbbells. I still like the workouts I've always liked, and fortunately can still do them. Overall, I love the feeling of lifting heavier (heavy for me, and what I can safely manage at home.) It makes me feel strong and powerful. At this time of life I exercise to stay strong and age as well as possible. Frankly any visible results are down to what I eat.

Since menopause I add in more stretching/flexibility work, and more work for my core than I used to. Sometimes I'll take an extra rest day if needed. I have old injuries and am very careful not to aggravate them. Shoulders especially--I always err on the side of caution with shoulders.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-23, 02:14 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I was thinking about this thread as I was doing a Caroline Iron workout this morning. That Iron rotation seemed to be great for many of us. I'm a huge Cathe fan, but there seemed to be something that was more effective with Iron. I think I hit on it this morning... the tempo. I think I do less overall work with that rotation than I do with a Cathe rotation, but see more improvement, and I think it comes down to the slower lifting tempo allows me to lift just a bit heavier and really focus on the muscle(s) I'm working. Sometimes when I'm doing Cathe workouts (maybe more than sometimes), I tend to not push myself so hard on each move because I know there's so much coming, and I'm trying to sort of save myself. With the Iron workouts, I know they are short and I can get through them, so I push myself to lift a bit heavier (but not crazy so), and I think that's where the "magic" comes in. Can anyone else relate to this or am I off my rocker?
I totally agree! I find myself working harder during Carolines workouts because they are shorter. I can match her weights now but it took the Iron, Tempo and Fuel series to get me there. When I first started with her I was amazed at her strength, but consistently using her workouts has definitely increased my strength.

I am grateful to have found her content!
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-23, 06:17 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

The other thing I've read is the women are capable of lifting almost as heavy as men in the lower body. The problem is that they can't get those heavy weights over their heads so that requires going to a gym with racks and a spotter.

I remember reading about an Olympic female lifter who could lift so heavy she embarrassed the men at the gym so they all left.

Tags
caroline girvan, dumbbell size, egg weights, kaleigh cohen, miriam nelson, results, strength training, weight lifting, weights