Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-23, 02:14 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlchello View Post
I am so fickle about programs and then I read about one and BAM...that's what I want to do.
You've just described me perfectly. Oftentimes, I'm quite embarrassed at how fickle I am. I haven't tried CG yet, but now I'd like to give her a try. I wonder if she has a playlist for beginners or something. When a workout has too many challenging moves and push-ups, I move on.
Old 03-05-23, 07:04 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
You've just described me perfectly. Oftentimes, I'm quite embarrassed at how fickle I am. I haven't tried CG yet, but now I'd like to give her a try. I wonder if she has a playlist for beginners or something. When a workout has too many challenging moves and push-ups, I move on.
Have you tried Kaleigh Cohen? I always recommend her channel, so I’m sure she’s popped up in similar threads. She lifts heavy and has a variety of formats (whole body, splits, etc). Every Saturday, she posts a live, full body workout.

For a long time, I was just using her two 10-minute arm workouts + whatever lower body I felt like doing, and I was seeing some definition/growth in my biceps. Like every other instructor, she’ll occasionally do a move I have to substitute, but that’s no big deal.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-23, 02:18 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I think it’s key to not be intimidated by the weight Caroline uses and go with what is challenging for you! I often used weights that were her number of kilograms which of course is roughly half what it is in US pounds. I’ve only done one rotation with her as I get tired of doing one instructor for any length of time and I’m aware her programs are designed to be done as a rotation. That said, I occasionally pick and choose a strength workout of hers now and again.

I also agree with cjayd. It’s fine to use Miriam Nelson’s weight chart as a guideline, but as a guideline only. I assume the chart lists only a few exercises, as if I was to use only 18 pounds for squats I might as well not bother as that is way too light for me to have any positive impact.

Interestingly enough, I do generally tend to use weights that fall within the chart for the few upper body weights listed, albeit on the high end. I also have a wonky shoulder that I’ve had for years. Does her book give her recommended weight ranges for lower body work and triceps/chest/back exercises? Just curious.

“Heavier" weights tend to work better for me, but in general whatever weight challenges me is what gives me the results that I am looking for. If I can do more than 12-16 reps at the very very most, it’s way too light for me and will only stress my joints.

allisoncooks, I have not heard of Kaleigh Cohen…may have to check her out!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-23, 03:08 PM  
warriorprincess

I've been alternating between a month of Lazy Bear (Huberman’s term) workouts and Aerobic Weight Training workouts. In Lazy Bear months, I do mostly heavy weights with low reps and high rest periods, based on paper workouts or Cathe’s STS Mesocyle 3. In AWT months, I do mostly Cathe workouts, which tend to be medium weights with little to no rest periods. I usually have two days of recovery in between weight workouts, where I do a variety of easy peasy stuff.

How much weight really depends on the exercise. For AWT workouts, the weights are far below what they are on LB workouts. And vary according to how rested I am and how long the workout is. But here's what's typical for me.

LB. AWT
Bench Press: 85 25's
Chest Flys: 30's 15's
Squat: 105 65
Deadlift: 105 65
Static Lunge: 75 20's
Ov Press: 45 12's
Curl: 17.5's 12's
One Arm Row: 35. 25

I love the way heavy weights make me feel. I can see and feel the muscle definition. But the aerobic weight training keeps my energy level up.

I’m 63. As long as my joints allow it, I will accept no limits.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-23, 03:28 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

warriorprincess, awesome weights and great attitude! I so agree with your comment that you won’t accept limits as long as your joints allow!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-23, 05:43 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Have you tried Kaleigh Cohen? I always recommend her channel, so I’m sure she’s popped up in similar threads. She lifts heavy and has a variety of formats (whole body, splits, etc). Every Saturday, she posts a live, full body workout.

For a long time, I was just using her two 10-minute arm workouts + whatever lower body I felt like doing, and I was seeing some definition/growth in my biceps. Like every other instructor, she’ll occasionally do a move I have to substitute, but that’s no big deal.
Thank you for mentioning her, Alison - I see she has 15 min playlist. Strength training is a bit of a struggle for me, but 15 min....I may be able to do!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-23, 05:50 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Thank you for mentioning her, Alison - I see she has 15 min playlist. Strength training is a bit of a struggle for me, but 15 min....I may be able to do!

Donna
Same!
I particularly like the two 10-min arm workouts, plus the lower body workouts called “15 min Thighs and Calves” and “Knee Friendly Leg Day/Happy Knees”. I use those most often.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-23, 05:56 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

As far as results, it's in the diet. Workout -- Do what makes you happy; hence, consistency. As long as what you lift is heavy to you.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-23, 02:42 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Have you tried Kaleigh Cohen?
I'm going to look into her channel. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
As far as results, it's in the diet. Workout -- Do what makes you happy; hence, consistency. As long as what you lift is heavy to you.
So true. Great reminder.
Old 03-06-23, 05:22 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post

How much weight really depends on the exercise. For AWT workouts, the weights are far below what they are on LB workouts. And vary according to how rested I am and how long the workout is. But here's what's typical for me.

LB. AWT
Bench Press: 85 25's
Chest Flys: 30's 15's
Squat: 105 65
Deadlift: 105 65
Static Lunge: 75 20's
Ov Press: 45 12's
Curl: 17.5's 12's
One Arm Row: 35. 25
Hi Nancy - very inspirational. for heavy workouts, how many reps and how many sets? i don't have meso 3, so I was curious.

in your chart for AWT, you're saying you bench press 25#. Is that 25 per dumbbell or 12.5/dumbbell?

for myself, if I'm in a gym, i can bench the 45# bar without plates and i can do up to 4-5 reps, and just 1 set. at home, i can bench a total of 25# (10# dumbbells in each hand, and up to 3 sets of 10 reps.

my muscles respond very well to high reps /low weight. i rarely go to the gym.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caroline girvan, dumbbell size, egg weights, kaleigh cohen, miriam nelson, results, strength training, weight lifting, weights