Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-23, 09:16 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I just finished The Strangler by William Landay. I don't mind a dark thriller, but IMO, this was dark and muddled with unlikeable characters. Apparently reviewers say that his Defending Jacob, which was written later, is much better.

I started reading The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett. l'm only about 30 pages in but am enjoying so far.
I read Defending Jacob and highly recommend it. I haven't read anything else by him. I think he has a new book coming out this year but I can't recall the title.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-23, 09:36 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I read Defending Jacob and highly recommend it. I haven't read anything else by him. I think he has a new book coming out this year but I can't recall the title.
Thank you for this! It's my turn to pick at book club and my struggle is over!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-23, 10:02 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Thank you for this! It's my turn to pick at book club and my struggle is over!
Ohh you're welcome! I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-23, 07:57 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Just finished

The Girls in the Stilt House. I did like it. It takes place in the early 1920s.

I have The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (audio book) ~ The prequel to the Hunger Games and I am going to return it to the library and put a hold on either the ebook or paper copy. Only because I fall asleep during audio books unless I'm driving or doing something. Since I still haven't figured out how to get the audio books on anything other than my Ipad, I am restricted in what/where I go when listening to them.

I also discovered that in order to read the library books .... I have to be connected to the internet. Hmmm. Still need to conquer getting them on my kindle. Maybe I wouldn't have that problem. Perhaps a project for this holiday weekend? We'll see.

Meanwhile, downloaded another library book to read and am about 2 chapters in: Home Sweet Home by April Smith ~ Description looked interesting, so we'll see.

That's it for now!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-23, 10:10 AM  
difit

Cleda Are you getting digital books/audiobooks from your Library? Do you have the Libby app on your Ipad? If you do you do should be able to download the Libby app on your phone and able to listen your audiobooks. If you are still having problems, go to your library and they will be happy to help you. Same with your kindle.

I'm always listening to my audiobooks on my phone when I go out walking with my dog or cleaning house or doing yard work.
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-23, 10:32 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Cleda, Stilt House looks interesting, added to my list. Thanks!

Speaking of lists I'm clearing a lot of books off my Goodreads want-to-read. I was at the library choosing one and wondering why on earth I put some of those books on there.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-23, 10:08 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I just finished an interesting book for a book club: Outlive by Dr. Peter Atilla and Bill Gifford. It's an examination of what one would need to do in terms of exercise, nutrition, etc. in order to live to age 100 and beyond with health and vigor. Kind of dense reading in the first half with a lot of science, and I don't necessarily agree with everything he says, but some of the points he makes about things like grip strength being incredibly important were interesting.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-23, 02:09 PM  
warriorprincess

I'm in the middle of listening to Outlive! I'm enjoying it very much.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-23, 05:20 AM  
mimikz

I'm on book 9 of the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny. Really enjoying the series and so happy to know there're 18 books in the series. Money in the bank.

I'll take a break to read The Golden Doves by Martha Hall Kelly when I'm done with this one though.

Mimi
mimikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-23, 09:15 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I LOVED The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett! Probably my favorite read of the year so far. It seems I have a "type," as I love quirky, loner main characters who are drawn out of their shell; other books of this type that I have loved include The Maid, Elinor Oliphant is Completely Fine, and The Rosie Project. Does anyone have recommendations similar to these?

I have a hold to pick up from the library today - a classic favorite, Phyllis A. Whitney. I read so many of her books as a teen, along with Victoria Holt. I reserved Dream of Orchids, one I don't think I've ever read, because it's set in Key West and DH & I are visiting there for the first time this summer.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading, spring reading