Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-22, 01:28 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Does anyone here also belong to a gym?

Hello -

2022 has been a rough year for me fitness wise, as I have battled hip and later knee pain. One round of PT helped but did not solve the problem.

I scheduled myself for an MRI, only to have my insurance deny it until I completed 6 weeks of more PT.

So I called up the PT, as there is one just down the road from me that I can walk to, and decided to give that a go. One definite perk with this round of PT is that I have free access to the gym while I am a Viverant patient.

I have been utilizing the gym for several weeks and am surprised at how much I like going there. I am using the elliptical machine for cardio mostly, sometimes I will use the bike, don't really care for the treadmill. The thing I enjoy most is the weight machines, I am really trying to strengthen my lower half using the machine, I use them all but the leg press and hip adductor/abductor machine are my favorites. I am also hitting all the machine for upper body and enjoying that as well. This gym is an Anytime Fitness, it's fairly small but nice and clean, the patrons seem nice for the most part and the staff is very nice and supportive.

I also really like my PT too, and I feel that he is helping me. But for me the magic pill has just been getting moving again, I have a ways to go but I am doing better and have more hope where a few months ago I just figured this was just the way life is going to be for me.

I haven't touched my DVDs in months. I am not going to do something dumb and just get rid of them all, that would be rather foolish. But I think I am ready to go through them, pick out my favorites and finally let the rest go.

Who would have thought? I have belonged to gyms before never went, and it was money down the drain. No more is more surprised by this than me.

Anyone else belong to a gym? Do you like it, do you use both the gym and videos for variety? I would be curious to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks for listening.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-22, 01:43 PM  
bfit

My rule of thumb is if I can do something at home I don't pay to do it someplace else. I pay to use my local swimming pools, and I used to pay for barre classes because I can't duplicate those things at home. If you like using the machines and you can't have those at home it sounds like the gym might be a good investment for you.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-22, 02:14 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
My rule of thumb is if I can do something at home I don't pay to do it someplace else. I pay to use my local swimming pools, and I used to pay for barre classes because I can't duplicate those things at home. If you like using the machines and you can't have those at home it sounds like the gym might be a good investment for you.
I totally agree with this.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-22, 02:19 PM  
moonbeam31

My daughter and I go to Planet Fitness and use the treadmills, rowing machines and bikes. Its only $10/month. They let high schoolers have a free 3 month membership during the summer too. When we had the blackcard upgrade, we'd lay on the hydro massage beds at the end of our workout. It's great during the summer for us because it is so hot in Phoenix. Now the weather is perfect and my husband and I like to hike on Monday mornings. I still do my Ellen Barrett streaming and Jessica Smith dvds in the early evenings to relax and unwind. I like the balance of both options because I don't want to own a treadmill, bike or rowing machine because I will not use them at home! I like my workout space open and room to do my pilates and yoga and other workouts.
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-22, 02:38 PM  
fanofladyvols

No gym membership here but was glad to read you've found a good PT to help you!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-22, 03:01 PM  
warriorprincess

I always enjoyed going to the gym. I haven't lived close to one in a while. I loved the weight machines, and group classes are really great.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-22, 03:22 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Yes, I belong to a gym--my city has "recreation centers" that have all the gym equipment, pool, walking track, and classes periodically. It's more than reasonably priced ($10/month) and while I don't go a ton my DH goes 3-4 times a week and I go primarily for the cardio machines as a change of pace. So I agree that if the gym offers something you can't do at home and you benefit from it, go for it.

Glad you found a PT that works for you. That can be a challenge!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-22, 04:18 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I've always had a gym membership. I was a gym rat before videos and kept up the habit. I don't have room at the house for a full setup with weights, benches, etc. and I enjoy using weight machines for my back.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-22, 05:34 PM  
muddjeansgal

I've always enjoyed doing both dvds and gym/studio workouts. After 2020 with everything being shut down I can't seem to stick to at home workouts at all. I'm sure the tide will turn eventually.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-22, 06:44 PM  
bubbles76

I used to use the base gym three days a week and work out at home three days a week. Since moving so far away from a base gym and increasing my dvd collection, I work out exclusively at home now. I liked the gym for the group classes and some of the machines. In fact, Big Bubble and I were talking about starting up his gym membership again. I might join him if we get a good deal.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gym, gym membership, gyms, home vs gym