Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-23, 05:47 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Does anyone else count physical therapy as a workout?

Asking for a friend...

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-23, 06:23 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I think it depends on why you're at physical therapy. After my knee and hip replacements I counted therapy as a workout because it was. I went to PT twice for my spine. I counted it as ab work. I recently had bones removed from my wrist and just finished 8 weeks of PT/OT. No way was that a workout.

It also depends on how hard you're working at PT. I've seen people put in very little effort just to get it over with. I always gave it my all so I could get better. The ones not giving it much effort are probably still in pain.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-23, 07:21 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I'm currently in PT for a knee problem and I definitely count it as a workout because all the exercises I do would be part of a 'normal' workout. Plus, it takes me almost 90 minutes to get through all of them! It's all lower body work, so I do upper body and core a few times a week in addition to the PT.

I have been to PT for other issues in the past though that I would not consider a workout. As luvcritters said above, it really depends on the reason you're in PT and what type of exercises you're doing.
Old 02-09-23, 07:49 PM  
sbh

I count it as a workout. Right now I am doing physical therapy for hip bursitis. I do a sitting upper body weight workout right after my floor physical therapy 3 times a week. I've only been able to walk the dog twice this week. My hubby has been doing it solo for a while. Be glad when I can do cardio again.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-23, 09:51 PM  
Vantreesta

I count my PT as a workout. I have been in PT three times, all for lower body issues. The exercises are the same ones found in regular workouts and yoga practices.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-23, 10:33 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I went to PT 6 years ago for my knee. I'm still doing all of the lower body exercises (strength and stretch for all muscles) every night. I don't count it as a workout, but I guess I could.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-23, 08:23 AM  
DBW

Absolutely. My PT included static lunges, bridges, leg press, abductor work.
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-23, 09:09 AM  
fanofladyvols

Mostly, yes. It also depends I think on whatever else is going on.

It didn't look like much to someone else what I was doing as far as my PT for my back. But it was literally all I could do to muster up the energy to complete those exercises at that time.

Once those issues had resolved somewhat and now I do those same exercises for prehab. Now I don't count it as a separate workout because I make it part of my overall mobility routine (which does count as a workout.)

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-23, 12:24 PM  
BunnyHop

Yeah, but mostly because it can sometimes be very focused and intense, and therefore tiring. The fitness class I'm taking now is mostly about rebuilding strength and agility so you can improve your sense of balance, and reduce the danger of falling. The class on Wednesday totally fried my calves, LOL!! Went home and took an actual nap. In my book, that sort of exertion is definitely a workout. It's only part of the whole, but it still counts.
Old 02-10-23, 12:27 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Funny you ask, I do! I'm in the thick of it right now. The routine my prior PT gave me lasted almost an hour of grueling, interminably boring exercises, I sure did count it as a workout.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
physical therapy