Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-22, 09:17 PM  
bfit

Getting Rid of Fitness Stuff You Don't Use

Two years ago I broke my foot, and I haven't been the same since. I've worked back to most activities, but there's a lot of things I still can't do. I'm 65. I have quite a few advanced DVDs (like Cathe's Drill Max) that I haven't done for two years. I also have a Step 360, a Bosu, the Leslie Sansone ramp, and a small rebounder that I haven't used for two years either. When is it time to get rid of stuff like that? Right now it's just taking up space and gathering dust. I would feel sad to see it go, but I'm also sad to see it sitting there not used.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 09:39 AM  
bfit

Bumping . . .
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 10:47 AM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

Same

Same situation. I have lots for give-away which I prefer to o block rather than piecemeal.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 11:07 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I took mine to Goodwill. It hurt a little but now I don't even miss it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 11:52 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I had several pieces of fitness equipment I wasn’t using. I sold a few, gave some away on neighbourhood free site, & donated the rest. I also did a big dvd purge a few months ago. No regrets at all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 12:05 PM  
carly

It doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" decision. Pick one or two that you are least likely to miss and get rid of them. See how you feel in a couple of months and then revisit the rest of your collection.

Isn't the step 360 similar to a Bosu? If you don't have room for both then get rid of the less usable item. Keep the one that you could use for exercise and rehab therapy. I'm older too and find that balance exercises are essential.

I had a problem parting with some old dvds that I most likely would have donated to Goodwill (so they have no $ value). Instead, I threw away the cases and condensed them down into 30/50 dvd books - 2 inches wide X 11 inches tall and keep them on a book shelf....saves a lot of space.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 01:18 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
It doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" decision. Pick one or two that you are least likely to miss and get rid of them. See how you feel in a couple of months and then revisit the rest of your collection.
I think this is a good strategy. I like to take things in small steps. I have a few more DVDs I want to get rid of, not for space issues, but because I don't use them. I got rid of my HRM not because I didn't use it, but b/c I thought it wasn't worth having and was just a source of stress - I don't miss it! I've thought about getting rid of some other random things - e.g., yoga wheel, Balance Trainer - but haven't been motivate to dot hat yet because I like having them and then don't take up much space, even if I don't use them very often.

Slow and steady is a good way to go!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 01:25 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Slow and steady is a good way to go!
Yes, slow and steady. I've held on to things I didn't think I would use again, and then a few years later I did find I want to use them again. However, if you have equipment you don't use do to an injury that prevents you from using them, you might want to declutter. You could try to sell first and then donate.
As someone who appreciates all the wonderful fitness finds I've found through the years while thrifting, I'll thank you in advance.
Old 07-12-22, 01:40 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
As someone who appreciates all the wonderful fitness finds I've found through the years while thrifting, I'll thank you in advance.
Ah, yes, that's another approach - sometimes when donating, I think that I will be making some other fitness person happy!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 01:41 PM  
kat999

Here's a strategy I use with my closet: I hang all clothing with the opening of the hanger facing out, and then when I wear something, wash it, and rehang it, I put it back with the opening of the hanger facing in. At the end of the year, I get rid of all the clothes I haven't worn all year, and I can tell which they are by the direction the hanger is facing.

I've also heard the strategy that when you move, if at the end of a year you have anything left in boxes, just get rid of the whole thing, because clearly you weren't in any hurry to unpack it.

Try something similar with stuff you're having trouble letting go of. Make a list of it all, and if you use it, cross it off the list. At the end of a set amount of time, anything still on the list gets either donated or sold.

Tags
decluttering, equipment gathering dust