Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-17, 09:42 AM  
Sollamyn

Instant Pot Advice Needed!

Hi! I've got some Christmas money burning a hole in my wallet, so I've been thinking about buying an Instant Pot. Here are some questions I have (and I might add more!):
1. Is it good for your healthy lifestyle? (no diet advice is being asked for--thanks)
2. I'm single, I hate to cook, and I don't entertain at all! Would this be a good, useful gadget for me to have?

Thanks in advance!

Donna
Old 12-28-17, 10:36 AM  
sherry7899

I make batches of steel cut oats, soups and vegetable stews that are breakfast/lunches for days so I do find it helpful for healthy meals.

I posted a ton of recipe links in the Instant Pot thread on page 16. Some recipes are healthy and some are not.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-17, 10:38 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I find it to be a very good support for a healthy lifestyle!

I would still use mine if I were single. I make a lot of one-pot dishes (including soups) and freeze the leftovers for lunches or after work, anyway. I also make steel cut oats in it for breakfasts all week.

I don't like eggs, but a lot of IP users make hard boiled eggs in batch for the week in it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-17, 11:30 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I use mine a lot, I love it. I agree that you can cook very healthy food in it. I also make a lot of soups, stews, spaghetti sauce, & curries. I use it for rice, squash, & sweet potatoes. I cook a lot of beans & chic peas from dry to add to soups & salads and to make hummus. I have also made yogurt & scalded milk to make kefir. If you are mainly cooking for one, IP does have a smaller 3 quart size.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-17, 02:51 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Warning: This is probably only my opinion, but I returned mine. Everyone else I know loves theirs.

I read through a bunch of recipes (including the long VF thread) and joined a couple of Facebook groups. I read the manual and decided that using my crockpot for the handful of recipes that I’d actually make (No advice being given, but I eat low carb) wouldn’t be worth using what appeared to be a more complicated device. I don’t really need my roasts to be done in an hour, I don’t steam rice and I’m not sure I want to be responsible for setting the pot correctly so it won’t blow up in my face when I open it.

Here’s the other thread. http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=218618
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-17, 06:53 PM  
sherry7899

What is your reason for thinking of buying one? Do you enjoy the types of food that can be cooked in it? If you hate cooking, it won't help with that, but it can help with making cooking easier for you.

Another thing I make is shredded chicken, which is easy to add to salads and wraps, or you can make it with spices for taco filling.

If you are looking strictly to save actual time, it might not save much actual time between waiting for it to come to pressure and release. However, what I like the most about it is that I can set up a recipe, go do something else and leave it alone. I don't have to stand at the stove stirring and babysitting whatever I'm making. I hated making steel cut oats on the stove. They always stuck to the pot. Hard boiled eggs made in the IP are really easy to peel.

I was scared of it for weeks after I bought it, but once I made some very simple things, like the steel cut oats and hard boiled eggs I moved to a little more involved recipes and had no problems at all.

I love making batches of foods that I can use for several meals at one time.

I even make turkey meatloaf and mashed potatoes in it at the same time.

You can also cook chicken breasts from frozen. I like that since sometimes I've forgotten to defrost them ahead of time. If you buy chicken breasts in bulk packages, it is a good idea to separate them before freezing so they don't all clump together when cooking them from frozen. They end up with uncooked spots if you do that.

I hope that helps!
Sherry

Old 12-28-17, 07:25 PM  
Sollamyn

Thanks for all the replies.

Sherry, actually, anything to make cooking easier, less fussy, etc., is helpful. I need to cook more because I want to eat healthier, fresher, less processed foods. Plus, I'm retired now (as of 6 days ago! ) and I'm looking for some other ways to change my life for the better. I'm wanting to eat more vegetarian, for example, and it sounds like the IP would be great for beans, oatmeal, etc.

I actually just placed an order on Amazon a little while ago. It will arrive on January 3! I'll probably join in on the IP thread after I get it.

Thanks again!
Donna
Old 12-28-17, 07:37 PM  
Sissy B

Which one did you get?
Sissy B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-17, 07:53 PM  
sherry7899

Donna, congratulations on your retirement!

I posted links to cooking beans and quinoa and brown rice in the recipe thread.

Old 12-29-17, 09:13 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Oh - thought of a factor to keep in mind.

When a recipe says "cook for 10 minutes on manual" - that does not mean put it together and ten minutes later you are done. There is a heat up / coming to pressure period, then after your cooking finished timer beeps, there is a cool down / pressure release period.

There are two types of pressure release - quick and natural. Quick means you push the valve open (away from you) and steam comes out quickly until the mechanism releases. With natural release (most things) you leave it sealed as it comes down to pressure on its own. You don't have to contend with steam and it continues the last phase of the cooking process. A good thing about this is that you can be going about other things during this period - with natural release, after the pressure comes down the pot keeps it warm at a safe temperature until you are ready.

The warm up and cool down periods vary depending on how much is in the pot.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crockpot, instant pot