Old 09-26-17, 06:01 PM  
lorajc

Thanks for all the responses so far.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 05:41 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
Thanks Jeanne Marie for your personal training info - can i ask what kind of rep range you follow with such poundage?
Jamie
Jamie,

I do 3 sets of 15.

I train my upper body twice a week and my lower body once a week. I do hybrid high intensity interval training every day, sometimes twice a day, in addition to my weight training. I also run twice a week, but only 4 miles each time.
Old 09-27-17, 06:14 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I am lifting heavier than I was a year ago. I've spent the last 5 to 7 years doing barre type workouts, and while I love them, I have lost functional strength the past few years. It's scary to think about, especially when I project that loss of strength through the remainder of my lifetime. So about 5 weeks ago I started lifting weights regularly, and while I'll never be as strong as some here, I will be a stronger 61 year old than I was as a 60 year old.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 07:01 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Jamie,

I do 3 sets of 15.

I train my upper body twice a week and my lower body once a week. I do hybrid high intensity interval training every day, sometimes twice a day, in addition to my weight training. I also run twice a week, but only 4 miles each time.
Wow, I just want to say this is very inspiring! It makes me realize I am not doing nearly enough as far as weight and HIIT go. I just turned 51 and the heaviest weight I lift is 10 lbs, so I need to step things up. I also need to do more cardio.

The only issue I have is time. I don't know how I'd do lifting and HIIT in the same day, unless it's a day when I'm not working. I'll have to think about that more, but thanks for sharing your routine.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 02:46 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
Wow, I just want to say this is very inspiring! It makes me realize I am not doing nearly enough as far as weight and HIIT go. I just turned 51 and the heaviest weight I lift is 10 lbs, so I need to step things up. I also need to do more cardio.

The only issue I have is time. I don't know how I'd do lifting and HIIT in the same day, unless it's a day when I'm not working. I'll have to think about that more, but thanks for sharing your routine.
You are welcome! I should qualify all of the above with the info that I do not work. My child is grown, I'm a widow and fitness is pretty much my life.

My DH has been gone almost 3 years now and I've used my fitness routines to not only get to a new level fitness wise, but to deal with my grief. My bootcamp people are like family to me. It helps to know this info when you hear how much I work out. I don't have other responsibilities like most people.

On a fun side note... I've met someone recently. I always thought I'd never date again because my DH of almost 40 years was my soul mate and the best man I've ever known. I couldn't fathom meeting and dating anyone else. This new guy came into my life about 3 months ago and I'm very happy! It's a new journey for me, and one I'm excited to take on.
Old 09-27-17, 03:04 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Dear Jeanne, I'm so happy for your happiness and can I just say this new man has gained a true gem of a person in his life.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 03:20 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
On a fun side note... I've met someone recently. I always thought I'd never date again because my DH of almost 40 years was my soul mate and the best man I've ever known. I couldn't fathom meeting and dating anyone else. This new guy came into my life about 3 months ago and I'm very happy! It's a new journey for me, and one I'm excited to take on.
I remember when your DH passed. I so happy that you have a new chapter in your life!!

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 03:45 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Dear Jeanne, I'm so happy for your happiness and can I just say this new man has gained a true gem of a person in his life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
I remember when your DH passed. I so happy that you have a new chapter in your life!!
Thank you both! What sweet, thoughtful things to say! Y'all are the best.
Old 09-27-17, 04:04 PM  
donnamp

Jeanne - wishing you much happiness!!
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 04:25 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
I am using lots of machines, so it's kind of hard to put specific weights out there.... but a few examples.... Bicep curls: 25 lbs in each hand. Shoulder presses with dumbbells: 20 lbs in each hand. Deadlifts: 80 lbs (two 40 lb dumbbells), sumo squats with 60 lb kettlebell,, hip thrusters: 90 lb barbell, leg press: 270 lbs. Pull ups, my complete body weight for about 8 to 10, and then I'm done!

I know there are people here who go heavier than that, but for my body frame and size, these weights are about my limits. I've really seen a huge difference in strength and muscle gain.
That's awesome!!!!! Great weights!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, dumbbell size, heavy weight training, over 50, senior strength training