Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-17, 07:29 PM  
buffmama

I really like reading yoga philosophy: Judith Lasater, Cyndi Lee - the others I can't remember. I enjoyed Colleen Steedman's autobiography, although not really yoga. When the books get too technical they lose me. I've looked at Shiffman's book, Rodney's and others but they're really more to have around and use.
Old 02-19-17, 07:31 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

The most meaningful book for me on the benefits of yoga and how to practice is Kripalu Yoga - A Guide to Practice On and Off the Mat, by Richard Faulds

I seem to have a lot of yoga books too, but they are mainly on descriptions of the asanas and sequences. Other than the Kripalu Yoga book, my favorites are all of Judith Lasater.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-17, 07:50 PM  
lorajc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
It's expensive because it is a BIG book that also includes a CD of mantras.

It includes kriyas to strengthen the nervous system, endocrine system, the liver, digestive system, lymphatic system, lungs, etc. I think most of these kriyas are available elsewhere--I know I have seen a good many of them in other KY books. If you have a lot of kriya and meditation books, you don't *need* this one. I bought it because it targets my age cohort and is really about using yoga to help cope with aging, illness, or being a caregiver.

Keep in mind that kriyas aren't meant to diagnose a disease or illness. Here's some really good info about that.
Oh...I want it...But I already ordered 4....I may still get it ....I don't want to diagnose....I am diagnosed....Was in the medical field 30 years.....Just want focused kriyays for aging like that... gah ! Why so expensive?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-17, 07:57 PM  
lorajc

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
My husband just bought me a new bookshelf for Christmas b/c I have so many yoga books! I recommend some on my yoga web site:
http://yogibethc.simplesite.com/426654552

That doesn't even cover many of the ones I use to help me plan my classes. My recent favorite has been Guiding Yoga's Light: Lessons for Yoga Teachers by Nancy Gerstein. I also recently read and loved Sharon Salzberg's Lovingkindness. Paul Grilley's Yin Yoga: A Quiet Practice is a great short introduction. You seem to like KY books, so you might enjoy The Body Temple: Kundalini Yoga for Body Acceptance by Ramdesh.
Yes...That's the one I got....As I already have one for all my psychological issues as you saw on my list! How interesting that you are both a psychologist and yoga certified.......I loved my psych classes in college and if I had graduated...I probably would have continued with them....Quite interesting!

I have a VERY addictive personality... Embarrassing to admit .....But between that...My OCD and anxiety...That's why I got my sacred therapies book....And after I got it I realized I have Post traumatic stress syndrome too from stuff that happened to me.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-17, 08:24 AM  
joyfulnana

I have read so many , but the ones I return to time and time again that have most helped integrate yoga into my day to day life and helped connect me to my true best self are:
1) the 8 Human Talents
2) Judith Lasater: Living Your Yoga
and 3) Nischala Joy Devi:The Secret Power of Yoga
joyfulnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-17, 11:43 AM  
Tammie M

I am currently reading The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga: The Philosophy and Practice of Yin Yoga by Bernie Clark. It is a great introduction to Yin Yoga and how it benefits the body.
Tammie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-17, 11:54 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie M View Post
I am currently reading The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga: The Philosophy and Practice of Yin Yoga by Bernie Clark. It is a great introduction to Yin Yoga and how it benefits the body.
That is an excellent book - informative and easy to read. It's not overly cerebral which I find some yoga books to be.

Right now I am enjoying off and on Tias Little's Yoga of the Subtle Body: A Guide to the Physical and Energetic Anatomy of Yoga. It is a nice guide to the anatomy of the body, individual asana and the various energies within and without the body. Tias' writing is beautiful and easy to absorb; I'm finding the book to be packed with accessible information.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-17, 04:40 PM  
Titus2woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
My husband just bought me a new bookshelf for Christmas b/c I have so many yoga books! I recommend some on my yoga web site:
http://yogibethc.simplesite.com/426654552
Thank you for sharing this list! I was able to order several titles from our library.

More people fail from a lack of encouragement than anything else!
Titus2woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-17, 05:21 PM  
amg

Thanks for this thread! I have added quite a few to my wish list.

I am currently reading Meditations from the Mat. I'm really enjoying it and know I will read it many times in the future.
Old 02-20-17, 08:29 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Glad it was helpful, Sandi! I was thinking that I should take a photo of my shelves with all my books.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yoga books