Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-17, 02:30 PM  
flamingoo

Bed time yoga???

Can anyone recommend a 15-30 minute yoga routine/meditation I can try to help me sleep? I'm so sick of taking sleep aids. Thanks!
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 03:21 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Please see the original post in this thread: Stretches with forward bends! They solved my insomnia problems! But, WHY?. Also, please disregard my skepticism. Years ago, after I actually bothered to try it, I laid back down, annoyed that it didn't seem to do anything. Then the next thing I remembered, it was 6 hours later, and time to get up.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 04:51 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

You can try this download:
http://www.natasharizopoulos.com/201...f-day-stretch/
It is $5.99 but Natasha is a very good teacher. I haven't done the practice though.

ETA: I opened the thread that Omega posted above and Sharon mentioned Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief. I was thinking that DVD might have a practice for insomnia and Sharon confirmed it.
You probably can find something on YouTube as well.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 04:52 PM  
flamingoo

Awesome! Thanks ladies, hope this helps!
Old 01-02-17, 04:59 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I think both Sarah Beth Yoga and Yoga by Adriene have bedtime practices free on YouTube.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 05:04 PM  
sherry7899

Yoga TX on you tube also has bedtime practices.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 12:15 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

For me, the best 20 minute yoga to help with sleep is AM Yoga with Rodney Yee. It is relaxing and his voice is soothing. It is gentle stretching and ends with savasana. That DVD comes with PM Yoga, too, which is with Patricia Walden. That's also a good one, but AM Yoga is more relaxing, imo.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 11:37 AM  
flamingoo

Boy there are quite a few on youtube! What are your thoughts on stretching? I'm trying to increase flexibility as well and remembered I have Essentrics Flexibility for athletes. Wonder if that would help also???
Old 01-03-17, 11:43 AM  
violingal3

I have it planned for this week, but I'm hoping Tara Lee's new Lunar workouts will be a good nighttime option for me. I've been doing random yoga at night the last few weeks and as long as I go straight to bed with that zen feeling, I've been falling asleep a lot easier.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 12:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
For me, the best 20 minute yoga to help with sleep is AM Yoga with Rodney Yee. It is relaxing and his voice is soothing. It is gentle stretching and ends with savasana. That DVD comes with PM Yoga, too, which is with Patricia Walden. That's also a good one, but AM Yoga is more relaxing, imo.
i 2nd this. i used many of Rodney's shorter workouts for bedtime yoga initially. then i migrated to Barbara Benagh. nowadays, i do yin yoga before bed.

In Gaiam's AM PM Meditation workout, it features Rodney Yee for AM and Maritza for PM. This is great for beginners! This is not really a meditation DVD where you sit there in silence, but rather it's more of a yoga DVD that is more calming and peaceful. you are not required to sit in lotus position, which is great because that would turn beginners off!

today, i keep a small inventory of DVDs and my portable DVD player under my bed. i have several Yin Yoga workouts, Barbara Benagh, a few Yoga Zone DVDs, and a small yoga book (Yoga Directory) that has pictures of yoga postures and a several yoga sequences.

my bedroom has carpet, so i don't really need a mat. i also keep my yoga blocks and strap under the bed too. if you're doing calming yoga, a sticky mat is not really needed since you're mostly doing seated or supine postures.

i've gotten to the point now if i'm too lazy to bring out a DVD, i'll just do several "on the fly/freelance" calming postures (forward bends, both standing and seated, supine twists, etc).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mark laham, natasha rizopoulos, yoga audios, yoga books