Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-16, 05:42 AM  
nckfitheart

Thumbs up Barbell

I use both. There are certain purpose which the barbell can not serve. When I want to improve weaker side I need dumbbells.

Barbells comes in various shape. curls one are friendlier to writs compared to straight. To avoid taking longer loading the weight and/or changing weight selection, spring collar clips or lock jaws are better than spin collar. This is a detail you may consider before making your purchase. I have never used troy barbell .

I have used barbell for Cathe's pyramid upper and lower. I never had any issue inter-changing my weight cause I have few barbell. Yes I love barbell and I have clips to lock my plate. I HATE pausing a dvd. So I prepare my plates to avoid thinking in the middle of workout what I am going to lift at the next set! Everyone is different I know.

Seems like you have already made up your mind so I would say go for it.
All the best
nckfitheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 06:53 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I have an old Firm barbell that gets regular use when I do heavier weights. I don't think a barbell is 100% necessary but I'm glad I have it, especially for chest and back work. My hands fatigue before my legs do if I'm holding heavy DB, so for some exercises the barbell works better for me.

As far as the weight limits of the Troy Lite, the website says 65# maximum weight. I've loaded my Firm BB that heavy and I start running into trouble getting it safely over my head and onto my shoulders. If you're not superadvanced, that weight limit should be fine. Above that weight, you probably want to be in a gym with a spotter, or at least use a squat rack at home to handle the barbell safely.
Old 08-17-16, 08:19 AM  
noodles

I bought a barbell from Target years ago although don't remember the brand. My preference is to use dumb bells but there are times when my forearms cannot hold the dumb bells long enough to complete the set of leg reps - I was reminded of this when I did Cathe's Pyramid lower body workout the other day forearms were on fire lol!
Jamie
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 09:13 AM  
nckfitheart

Adding to what I have previously posted, I like being able to use both equipment depending on what I am looking to achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
My preference is to use dumb bells but there are times when my forearms cannot hold the dumb bells long enough to complete the set of leg reps - I was reminded of this when I did Cathe's Pyramid lower body workout the other day forearms were on fire lol!
Jamie
I have done Lower pyramid using a weighted vest + Dumbbell. It was fine and I had a good workout. Then, Because I wanted something different, I did the program as it was designed by Cathe. It was totally different, I felt my legs more. My glutes were burning at each step while lifting the barbell.

Now next time I will lift a barbell. The purpose of Lower body pyramid being to work legs, I do not see any point challenging my forearms. That is just my perspective
nckfitheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 09:14 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy2 View Post
I used to use a barbell for Cathe workouts, and stopped probably 5-10 years ago. I don't like the way the barbell doesn't let me place my arms/forearms/wrists in a comfortable position for my body. It's not a huge position difference, but enough that I think using it contributed to some aches .......
A T-Grip bar allows for more hand positions to reduce those type of problems.

The lite version has about a 100lb wt limit. Here's an action clip
Old 08-17-16, 09:36 AM  
SueT

Wow, Taiga, thanks for posting this! I remember this was mentioned on VF quite a while ago and I forgot all about it. I would love one of these in pink. Maybe I'll ask my husband for one for Christmas!

Thanks,
Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 01:00 PM  
LizEMA

Thank you!

Thanks, everyone, for your replies! They've all been helpful and have given me a lot to think about and mull over. (I have to say, though, that T-grip bar looks great! Thanks for the link, Taiga! Do you actually have this bar? What are your thoughts about it compared to a regular straight barbell? I would probably mostly be using a barbell for deadlifts and chest and back work. If you have it, how does it fair for those uses? Have you used plates for it besides the ones they sell?)
Old 08-17-16, 01:16 PM  
Daphne M

I have two standard barbells - a 5-foot long 15 pound straight bar manufactured by CAP, and a shorter 11 pound EZ-curl bar. I got them probably 16 or 17 years ago (separately) at a sporting goods store along with the plates. Love them both. I also have every dumbbell option from 2 pound DBs to 52-pound DBs. I love my dumbbells, but I do occasionally prefer a barbell for some moves: bentover rows, t-bar rows, sometimes bicep curls, sometimes chest press. It's nice to have choices.

Make sure you get a "standard" size barbell, meaning that it is about 1" in diameter, rather than an Olympic size barbell. Those are much heavier and not as practical for our home workouts.

These are the lockjaw clips (collars) I like for my barbell: http://lockjawcollar.com/collections...s/lock-jaw-one

Good luck! You will not regret buying a barbell.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 10:08 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i use The Firm barbell - it's a bit shorter in length and is covered with a cushion.

i really like The Firm barbell and it's the only one i'll use.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 11:52 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizEMA View Post
Thanks, everyone, for your replies! They've all been helpful and have given me a lot to think about and mull over. (I have to say, though, that T-grip bar looks great! Thanks for the link, Taiga! Do you actually have this bar? What are your thoughts about it compared to a regular straight barbell? I would probably mostly be using a barbell for deadlifts and chest and back work. If you have it, how veticalgrip. does it fair for those uses? Have you used plates for it besides the ones they sell?)
Just back from work and saw your question. I actually prefer the T- Grip (have it in pepto pink) because I can position my hands in a way that is more anatomically suitable for me. My bicep/brachioradialis muscles are especially grateful for the angled hand position. Works great for chest/back/deadlifts if you can get used to various hand grips (which actually increases variety of muscles worked and gives some nice cuts). It takes standard plates and I didn't buy their brand though I was tempted! Here's another clip so you can see more exercises.HTH.

PS--it is beautiful and cheerful----nice to be greeted so happily in my weight room

ETA: I found coupon codes for free shipping (tgripship) or 10% off (jenna10). So anywhere from $11-$30 off.

Tags
barbell, cathe, dumbbell size, firm barbell, troy lite bar