Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-16, 03:07 PM  
LizEMA

Barbell Question for Cathe workouts

I've been debating for awhile about whether or not I need a barbell for Cathe's workouts, and, I think I've finally decided that, yes, yes I DO need a barbell.

I'm just wondering, for those that long since came to that same conclusion for themselves , what brand barbell do you use? I've been eyeing the Troy barbell offerings, but I'm not sure if it will be sufficient. I'm not super advanced, so, I feel like, though the maximum weight for those bars is on the low end, it will be enough for me. (I only have DBs up to 30lbs, as it is.) I'd like to know everyone's thoughts, though, obviously.

Any input, of any kind -- feedback, experiences, advice, recommendations --would be appreciated!

(PS I debated about where to post this; since it was specific to one particular instructor and her workouts, I felt it was appropriate in GD. . .)
Old 08-16-16, 03:29 PM  
wendy2

I used to use a barbell for Cathe workouts, and stopped probably 5-10 years ago. I don't like the way the barbell doesn't let me place my arms/forearms/wrists in a comfortable position for my body. It's not a huge position difference, but enough that I think using it contributed to some aches and pains here and there. I also think I get better range of motion using dumbells, and have never experienced any problems modifying to dumbells when she uses a barbell... I also don't like the time it takes to unload/reload the bar... The weight on my spine for squats and lunges always felt...not good. Not painful, but just wrong somehow. Dumb bells held at my sides suits my body much better. I used it for probably 6+ years, but it's sitting in my basement ready for Goodwill any day now. (My husband won't let me get rid of it because evidently he's going to start using it. Some day soon, I guess!)

I know that's probably not what you were wanting to hear! The barbell just didn't work for me, and I do NOT miss it!

Hope you get some answers that help you out a little more
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-16, 03:44 PM  
Robin C

Smile

I use the one that Cathe currently uses. If you want to check it out go to shop.lesmills.com. I bought extra 11 lb. plates for my set.
Robin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-16, 05:51 PM  
muggle

I used hand weights for years and finally bought a barbell from Walmart. (Free shipping!!) I got another set of plates too. I think it's over 100 lbs of plates and the barbell might be 5 lbs by itself. I usually only have it loaded at 30-40 lbs. that's plenty for me and matched most of what I need. I think it's Golds gym brand. Every once in a while when Cathe uses a barbell I simply feel more comfortable with hand weights. Just a personal preference. I also have insulation tubing on the bar to make it more comfy on my neck. Works beautifully!! I've never regretted getting yet another fitness toy.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-16, 06:17 PM  
Loriann

I have the Troy Lite barbell and it is perfect for me. I bought extra weights and have gone up to 50 lbs on the bar with no problem. I usually use about 35 lbs for a total bar weight of 40 for most of Cathe's higher rep stuff.

I like the shorter length of the bar too. I bought an Olympic bar that I could use my weights on, but almost knocked over a lamp because of the size.

I also find this one easier to get over my head when putting it on your back for squats and lunges. When I did Meso 3 of STS I subbed Dumbbells when I wanted to go heavier than 55 lbs total.

I have had my Troy Light bar for years and would definitely recommend it.

Lori
Old 08-16-16, 06:55 PM  
margaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy2 View Post
I used to use a barbell for Cathe workouts, and stopped probably 5-10 years ago. I don't like the way the barbell doesn't let me place my arms/forearms/wrists in a comfortable position for my body. It's not a huge position difference, but enough that I think using it contributed to some aches and pains here and there. I also think I get better range of motion using dumbells, and have never experienced any problems modifying to dumbells when she uses a barbell... I also don't like the time it takes to unload/reload the bar... The weight on my spine for squats and lunges always felt...not good. Not painful, but just wrong somehow. Dumb bells held at my sides suits my body much better. I used it for probably 6+ years, but it's sitting in my basement ready for Goodwill any day now. (My husband won't let me get rid of it because evidently he's going to start using it. Some day soon, I guess!)

I know that's probably not what you were wanting to hear! The barbell just didn't work for me, and I do NOT miss it!

I'm with you wendy 2. It just feels better and I have more control with dumbbells. Just my 2 cents )
margaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-16, 08:21 PM  
jenn38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy2 View Post

I also agree with everything said here. I prefer Dumbbells or Kettlebells depending on the exercise. I find the bar cumbersome but will use it on rare occasions.
Old 08-16-16, 08:23 PM  
firmbogie

Me three! Chronic back issues. Had a physical therapist tell me never to put a loaded barbell on my shoulders.
Old 08-17-16, 05:00 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I had a barbell years ago and used it for a while but I find that dumbells work better for me anyway. The heaviest weights I have are 15 pounders. If I were to lift heavier than that at home than perhaps a barbell would be better.

I am happy with my dumbells, my barbell was clunky and took up too much space. I set it out on the curb during the spring clean up days and someone grabbed it.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 05:40 AM  
ncl

I believe I also have the Troy Lite barbell and the old Firm barbell and I never use them, much prefer dumbbells. If you lived close to me, I would tell you to come that Troy Lite!
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbell, cathe, dumbbell size, firm barbell, troy lite bar