Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-16, 02:48 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Anything that keeps your mind on your workout will be calming unless you hate what you're doing. CS, Pilates, yoga, strength training, etc. Could be almost anything where you can get of your head.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 03:07 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

You might enjoy Yoga with Adriene, free on Youtube. Here is a link to her 30 Days of Yoga program starting with Ease Into It.

If you don't enjoy it, no money wasted.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 04:17 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Sue, I know how busy you are, so this may be impossible, but what about a live yoga class? I suppose you'd have to luck into finding the right teacher right off the bat though. I have recently been doing one evening a week in a live class and it's been wonderful -- so much better than dvds.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 04:43 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
-snip-
I also want to give a shout out to keeping a regular journal. It's cheap therapy--the cost of pen and paper (or opening a word document). Even doing just the 3 morning pages suggested by Julia Cameron can help clear and calm the mind. If you want to do something online, 750words.com offers great encouragement.
I cannot thank you enough for letting me know about this website! I just wrote my first entry, and I really like the stats page that it gives when you are completed. I will be making this part of my daily routine
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 05:19 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
I cannot thank you enough for letting me know about this website! I just wrote my first entry, and I really like the stats page that it gives when you are completed. I will be making this part of my daily routine
I kept it up for 4 months. I had to stop because I was traveling and had only intermittent internet.

The stats are amazing, and all of your entries are searchable.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 07:40 AM  
donnamp

Hi,
I agree with what others have said - it is really all individual and then even varies w/in the individual. For instance, sometimes i feel a great sense of relaxation from yoga but other times I find the stillness makes me anxious. And in those times I move over to CE/Essentrics or even Pilates. Sometimes just walking is relaxing for me.

I also feel relaxed from knitting, cooking and doing those adult coloring books.

I think you just need to experiment and find what works for you and it may vary from time to time depending on what is going on in your life.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 09:18 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I love my CS/Ess. Workouts in general take my mind off of things and keep me occupied.

Getting out and walking is my big stress reducer. If it's cold I just put on my ski pants, bundle myself up and bring my dog. The sunshine and fresh air does me a world of good along with the repetitive steps and familiar route.

I think you just have to figure out what calms you down. It can be anything.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 09:21 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post

Getting out and walking is my big stress reducer. If it's cold I just put on my ski pants, bundle myself up and bring my dog. The sunshine and fresh air does me a world of good along with the repetitive steps and familiar route.
Same here. Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB
I think you just have to figure out what calms you down. It can be anything.
Absolutely true. Hope you find what helps. Pilates helps me, yoga doesn't. Go figure.
Old 02-13-16, 09:26 AM  
donnamp

Interruption to regular thread - Jackie - congrats on reach level 1! I have been on hiatus from Essentrics/CS but I plan to start again soon.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 05:12 PM  
TinierTina

I really hate it when, deep down, I am trying to "advance" in the 3rd Limb of Yoga ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcritters View Post
Anything that keeps your mind on your workout will be calming unless you hate what you're doing. CS, Pilates, yoga, strength training, etc. Could be almost anything where you can get of your head.
a.k.a., modern postural yoga ...

I am reading a life-changing book right now, which brings home something that did not really occur to me before. Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. ... The System 2 approach he talks about, may have taken years to come to fruition ... in choosing pre-recorded instructional practices.

Now, I have extremely good agility (for the first few years in a lifetime!!) and can move fast and well. But I get eye flashes again, for the first time in years; and never before had floaters the real-size of a gnat flying right in front of my eyes [what was it that I was swatting at?]

For starters, I have to take it easy with getting head below heart, for real this time—and not just as a relief from the constant striving [of the popularized yoga realm(s)] ... I will swap more pilates as I get around to it, for some of the yoga I'd thought about getting back into. And other things, such as arm balances, where you don't (get your head below heart) provide much stress ... even if I were not allergic to sw**t half the time ...

No shame in calling yourself a for-years'-standing, perennial beginner. And rocking it!

Then, anything becomes mentally calming from even ... only ... gentle-is-the-new-advanced (as purloined from www.jbrownyoga.com ...) ... yoga to extreme mat pilates or the dreaded anything-else.

If you can't downmodify while practicing to some video, then just ditch it!

[Well, I certainly can downmodify, but I feel "cheated" and frustrated and resentful at these mere moving images if they are many levels above mine; so in my particular case, ditto ... ]

Anyway, I'd done the mellow stuff in a class at the Y, back in the '90s before it was kewl to be caught doing vrshikasana while over 55 ... hey it's easy for some https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC2eaIvkL2Q

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, meditation, stress relief, therapeutic yoga, yoga, yoga nidra