Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-30-13, 10:46 AM  
slysam

I have both. My Ugi is a 10 pound turquoise ball. I have the deluxe Zip so it can be weighted 5, 8 and 12 pounds. I haven't used the 12 pound option yet, but I used my 10 pound Ugi a lot and the zip at the lighter weights.

I don't know, I don't think anyone needs both but they are different. I think the Ugi is a little better made and possibly softer. The Zip so far is more round and holds its shape more. This factors in because some Ugi workouts do use the Ugi like a smaller Bosu where you do pushups off it or step on it. You would really need to unzip the Zip to use it this way. I am a little concerned with all the zipping and unzipping involved though I have had no trouble yet. I do like the zip for knee cushioning for some other workouts as it is lower to the ground unzipped than the Ugi.

The workouts... I didn't get the Ugi DVD set, I just have the book and dvd it came with that includes 5 workouts. The workouts are As many as you can reps in the minute. It is basically 30 exercises rotated through for a minute each. I always get a good workout when I follow one and the time goes fast. I quite like the simplicity of it, but the video I have has no verbal cues so I really only use it to see the exercises in motion. The Zip workouts are shorter like 15 minutes or so. I like them for add ons though I haven't used all of them yet so should suspend judgement. I think the intensity is similar though if using a comparable weight ball for each. I felt one of the Firm Zip Cardio workouts seemed to have to complicated of choreography for my taste so it seemed frenetic. The strength workouts were better paced. I am sure I would adjust though after a few follows as I do like some workouts that some feel are frenetic. I am not sure why but I get really stressed out by step aerobics workouts with fast choreography and I got the same feeling from this. I actually like fairly complicated dance workouts that use choreography but adding equipment I step on and off just stresses me a little. I guess that is my quirk though!

I need to look into Art method as it sounds like something I would like.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-13, 03:33 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
I am not sure why but I get really stressed out by step aerobics workouts with fast choreography and I got the same feeling from this. I actually like fairly complicated dance workouts that use choreography but adding equipment I step on and off just stresses me a little. I guess that is my quirk though!

I need to look into Art method as it sounds like something I would like.
Same here! And I never heard of Art method before, I'll have to check it out!

Thanks alot for your input! It's very helpful. I'm wondering also for the zipping-unzipping issue, I know that is the magic of being able to change the weights, but I wonder if it will last for a veeeery long time.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-13, 06:25 PM  
deineira

Hello,

ART workouts are the ones done by Terri Walsh, who created the Active Resistance Training method. I have been using these workouts for about 6 months and I really, really love them. I have been alternating them in and out of other rotations, but I keep coming back to me. You can see a commercial with workout snippets and find info about the method here, http://online-personaltraining-nyc.c...rri-walsh.html. You can also find some snippets of workouts on her YouTube page, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE-bj...AE1B528DB11CEB.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-13, 08:08 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deineira View Post
Hello,

ART workouts are the ones done by Terri Walsh, who created the Active Resistance Training method. I have been using these workouts for about 6 months and I really, really love them. I have been alternating them in and out of other rotations, but I keep coming back to me. You can see a commercial with workout snippets and find info about the method here, http://online-personaltraining-nyc.c...rri-walsh.html. You can also find some snippets of workouts on her YouTube page, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE-bj...AE1B528DB11CEB.
Thank you Deneira, I didn't know about this method, and to be honest it looks pretty good! Her method is interesting and if you keep coming back to it... It means it is effective! I like how she was using the yoga blocks! I see she also uses the equalizer, a chair, dumbbells and resistance tubing. I'm just wondering how you would use the ball? To replace the yoga blocks in some exercises? Or there are segments on her dvd where she uses a medicine ball? I'm curious! Those exercises looks like something I'd enjoy.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Old 11-03-13, 12:48 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

As I've been thinking about the Ugi/Zip ball last days, and as today in my rotation was a free day workout (meaning a workout of my choice), I decided to give my Ugi another try... Since I haven't used it in a long time. I did the 30 mins. total body workout sample and... I've it very much! And I didn't feel the 10 pounds that heavy as I used to, it still was a challenge though... Now, I wish I had the other Ugi workouts

ETA: My lower body is totally sore from yesterday workout.

Old 11-03-13, 12:35 PM  
rheash92

Can you buy the Ugi workouts by themselves? Thanks!
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 01:38 PM  
tifftaffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
Yeah, the UGI 6 dvd set is here:
http://ugifit.com/en/webshop/product/4022/

I'd suggest "liking" their facebook page so you can get a heads up if they offer free shipping... I think it was under 6.00 for me to ship since i live in southern California.

I like it much more than the DVD set that came in the home package, as it has verbal cues, and not just music and a visual example of what the workouts are supposed to look like.

Last edited by tifftaffy; 11-03-13 at 01:39 PM. Reason: because there are 6 dvds in the set i linked, not 5 :-P
tifftaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 03:29 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
As the other lady wrote you can! I wish all their workouts were about 30 mins. though. I'm just saying because I've enjoyed the 30 mins. workout I did yesterday! Their total body system comes with 8 wos: 3 total body wos of 30 mins. and then core, upper and lower body of 15 mins. and a stretch wo of about 13 mins. If I remember well.

I guess the sample I did yesterday is like the format they use in the home kit as there was not verbal cues at all, but I still enjoyed it, they were doing one exercise for one minute (30 exercises = 30 mins) without break, I did take 5-10 secs break, to take a breath and check what was next, and kept going, and I enjoyed the music At the end was a big celebration with fireworks and all... It was not necessary though... I just found it funny

I wish they sell their dvd from the home kit and the booklet separately as well, as it comes with 5 wos of 30 mins, plus the booklet looks pretty good, is you have a gymboss it'd be very handy.

I hope you don't live in Canada though. Shipping those dvds here is about $45 Which is pretty crazy! No one charge that money for dvds... Plus I have contact them a while ago, with no succes It seems like my only option would be to get a free shipping promo or something.

Old 11-03-13, 04:25 PM  
rheash92

Ah...thank u ladies! I don't mind the 15 min workouts since I'm just looking for some finishers to my main workouts. I don't have a Facebook page but now I'm thinking to just get one for fitness stuff like this. But I live in the US so hopefully shipping is not too much. Thanks again!
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-13, 05:21 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
I don't have a Facebook page but now I'm thinking to just get one for fitness stuff like this. But I live in the US so hopefully shipping is not too much. Thanks again!
You're welcome!

That'd be a good idea! I've one, but I rarely use it, so I might be missing some good deals

If you ever get the dvds please let me know how you like them! And if you hear of any good deal to get them, please let me know as well!

Tags
firm zip trainer, firm ziptrainer, terri walsh, the firm zip trainer, ugi at home system, ugi ball, zip trainer