Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-13, 10:29 AM  
toomuchjoy

What is your current weekly workout "structure"?

I'm just curious as to how people are structuring their week. I'm looking to mix things up for myself.

How do you plan your week?

Do you plan for a certain number of cardio/strength/etc per week?

Workout time per day and/or week?

Do you follow a set rotation or do you wait to see how you feel that day?
toomuchjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 10:36 AM  
mabyrd1

I workout everyday but some lighter days unless I feel bad. Monday-Friday (workdays) I workout at 5 am, Saturday and Sunday when I get up usually 7 or 7:30.

Monday,Wednesday and Friday-cardio/weights (cathe,firm, jari & etc)

Tuesday and thursday-cardio (Turbo Fire, cathe/christi step & etc)

Sunday-either cardio or stretch (turbo fire, cathe/christi step, Ellen B, Classical stretch)

I am do not like to do one person I get SO bored, I like to mix it up but this is mu USUAL structure.

Jeannie
mabyrd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 11:21 AM  
Elzabee5

I recently switched up the structure of my workouts-- I WAS doing just "whatever I felt that day." This resulted in my working out only about half the days of the month, because sometimes I couldn't decide what I felt.

I am currently doing Classical Stretch/Essentrics. I used to be a die-hard Firmie. When I did the Firm, this workout structure worked out best for me:

Day1: Full body Firm workout of my choosing (45-60 minute workout)

Day 2: 20 min run + 5 Day Abs or More 5 Day abs + stretch (might sub a Firm Cardio for this combination if it was raining)

Day 3: Full body Firm workout of my choosing (45-60 minute workout)

Day 4: 20 min run + 5 Day Abs or More 5 Day abs + stretch

Day 5: Full body Firm workout of my choosing (45-60 minute workout)

Day 6: 20 min run + 5 Day Abs or More 5 Day abs + stretch

Day 7: rest

I think this combination was very successful for me because it gave me a set structure with A LOT of flexibility to choose what to do on any particular day. Keeping this in mind, I recently designed a rotation with my current favorites (CS and Essentrics) that would provide a similar structure with lots of choice. What I have been following recently that has been working GREAT for me is the following:

Day 1: One hour CS or Essentrics workout (could be 2 30 min workouts or 3 23 min workouts tacked together or a workout that is made to be 55-60 min-- whatever I feel like)

Day 2: 20 min rebounding on the bellicon, 23 min CS workout

Day 3: One hour CS or Essentrics workout

Day 4: 20 min rebounding on the bellicon, 23 min CS workout

Day 5: One hour CS or Essentrics workout (+ optional 20 min rebounding)

Day 6: 20 min rebounding on the bellicon, 23 min CS workout

Day 7: Rest or yoga

This way, I get everything in and I am not so overwhelmed with choices. This has kept me focused and given me good results I had not been getting when I just did a complete free-for-all "whatever workout I feel like" that day workout, as I had been doing before. Plus, I like how I have a combination of a longer workout and a slightly shorter workout, so I don't feel committed to an entire hour every single day.
Elzabee5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 11:35 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Mon-Fri
Morning - a Classical Stretch episode, followed by ~20mins of Gilad sculpting (i.e. TBS, Quick Fit, Express).
Afternoon/Evening - The Scientific 7-Minute workout (2x through) followed by walking, either outdoor or indoor. At least once a week I make sure to sub different cardio (step, dance, hi/lo).

Weekend
1 day total body strength or AWT, and some yoga. Sometimes just yoga or stretching.
1 day rest (but maybe rebounding or light hiking).
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 11:58 AM  
Eilene

I like to get in weights every other day & bodyweights/HIIT (Zuzka, Horizontal Conditioning, etc...) the other day. I'm trying to mix up heavy weights/lower reps (Kettlebells, Chalean, Athetica, etc...) with lighter weights/high reps (Jari, KCM, metabolic workouts). I just pick the one I feel like doing that day. I also like to mix up the trainer.
Here is an example of this weeks workout...

Monday...Horizontal Conditioning October 101 year 2 Bootcamp (51 min with warm up & cool down) Mat & Gliders...3 min alternating intervals (Pushups, planks with gliders/plyo leg work) Hard...but awesome!
Walked the dogs 3 miles total
Tuesday...Chalean Extreme Burn Circuit 1 & 2 (1 hr 20 min with warm up & cool down) 10-20lb DB's...This workout was very different for me. Not used to lifting slower & heavier. My forearms gave out early, but kept pushing. Tough!!!
Walked the dogs 1 mile
Wednesday...Rest Day (Mom's 83rd Birthday)
Thursday...Virtual SKOGG Level 4:02 Strength (46 min with warm up & cool down) Single & Double Bells (22-35lb KB's)...AWESOME Workout!!! My fave so far!
ZCUT Power Strength #5 (34 min with warm up & cool down) 12lb (Renegade Rows) & 15lb (Step ups & lunges) Dumbells, 26lb Kettlebell (1 arm Swings), Step with 5 risers. Loved this workout!
Walked the dogs 1 mile
Friday...ZCUT Power Cardio #9 Time Challenge 2 Rounds 5 exercises (30 min with warm up & cool down...13.52 workout alone) HARD!!
Walked the dogs 1 mile
Saturday...Rest Day
Walked the dogs 1 mile
Sunday...Chalean Extreme Burn Circuit 3 (37 min with warm up & cool down) 10-20lb DB's
Walked the dogs 1.8 miles
Will be playing golf today also.

I do not need to lose weight...but my goal is to build a little more muscle.
PSW...I have gotten a lot leaner & a lot stronger from what I am doing...but I do not do typical cardio at all. We walk our dogs 2 times a day but it is not cardio as we go pretty slow.
Eilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 12:06 PM  
mle777

What a great thread! Thank you for starting it I've been floundering and I'm hoping this will inspire me. I did Body Beast for several months earlier this year and gained so much weight/size that none of my clothes would fit. I've tried sticking to just barre/TA, but I can't do it for more than a week or two bc I miss my weights. I've been trying to find a way to combine heavy weights, body weight, and dancing or kickboxing.

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 12:38 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I work out 6 days a week and take one rest day. My rest day is usually a total rest unless I stretch a little. I am finishing up a rotation based on Look Great in 8. With that, I've done two strength workouts a week (with a different strength focus each week) and three cardio workouts, one of which is an interval workout, and one day that I give myself to do whatever I want.

Historically, I usually have just alternated cardio and strength workouts through my six days, but I'm trying some new things this year.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 01:24 PM  
kmissa

Mon/wed/thur spinning
Tues/thurs trx
Alternating tam mat and pp every other day or at least 4xs a week

Just added Hamelin d'abell 3 week arm challenge
kmissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 01:47 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Walking--5 days a week, from my house to a Metro station and from the Metro station to my office; repeat at the end of the workday. This adds up to a bit more than 2 miles per day. Plus I walk for about 20 minutes during my lunch hour. Sometimes during the weekend my husband and I will go for a long walk.

Yoga--6 days a week. During the workweek I do yoga when I get home from work. My practices are about 30-45 minutes. It is rare that I choose a yoga practice that is longer than 45 minutes during the workweek. On the weekend, I choose a yoga practice that is longer--an hour or more.

I always take off one day per week.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 01:49 PM  
Kathleen Ann

I have been inspired by my doing 10 days to a better body. I stayed focused knew what i was going to workout with each day and got better as I went along.

My workout ADD can handle 10 days so my future workouts will be picking two DVD's and alternating them for 10 days.

I just got my Barre3 and may do that for the full 28 days followed by another 10 days of strength and cardio either mixed or alternating.

Examples of rotations off the top of my head:
FIRM tortois/hare
FIRM JF arms/buns
FIRM bodysculpt/Cardio Sculpt etc. with other FIRMS

Chalean burn Intevals/Turbo Jam or Stretch

Jari full body weight/Taebo or Leslie.

I am still toying with the idea of 10 days strength/cardio followed by 28 days Barre/Ellen

Tags
cardio, rotations, strength