Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-13, 11:16 AM  
vm_mom

Any relaxation/meditation DVDs

any DVDs that help you relax before bedtime? DH has a really stressful job and is working all the time and I am looking for something that he or both of us can do before bedtime to help him relax a bit to help him sleep better

thanks
vm_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 11:51 AM  
michl43

I like element yoga for energy and relaxation (tamal dodge). The relaxation part is especially soothing.
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 12:20 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I tried a few meditation DVDs, but like to close my eyes. I usually do meditation in bed before going to sleep.

I started a list of FREE downloadable meditation and guided relaxation MP3s:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=193291

As for CDs, I really like Diana Lang, Belleruth Naperstak and Roberta Shapiro.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 12:25 PM  
Diana3271

This month I have been using:
http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=3214
and the PM premixes from: http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=2732

My Dr. recommended that I try yoga to help with my stress levels. I have tried a variety of DVD's in the past month but I keep going back to these two. Some of the other DVD's have "stress" and "PM" in their title but they seem too "active" for me. The other night I was doing one of Barbara's practices. I got a few minutes into it and woke as she was ending the practice. That was a first for me. After that I was doing good to get into bed. I'm still not sure about the overall stress reduction. I can attest to some practices being better for me before bed than others are, though.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 12:31 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Diana, how could I forget about Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief? It is a good one!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 12:52 PM  
BunnyHop

I've really liked Lee Holden's 7 Minutes of Magic dvd. It's Qi Gong, and there's more to it than just an am and pm routine. There are seven minute routines for AM and PM, slightly longer versions (with, I think more detailed instructions, about 13-14 min), plus an additional whole body 7 minute routine.

I'm seriously thinking about getting his Qi Gong for Deep Sleep, just because I like that kind of work at bedtime. So soothing.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-13, 10:25 AM  
Diana3271

One thing I like about the 2 DVD's from Barbara Benagh is that the practices vary in their length. I rarely have 30 minutes before bed that I can commit to yoga, sleep is important, too. If I only have 10 minutes, there is something on there that will fit into that time. If I have 15 or 20 minutes, there are options for that, too. I find these two DVD's very versatile for me.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-13, 10:34 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I've really liked Lee Holden's 7 Minutes of Magic dvd. It's Qi Gong, and there's more to it than just an am and pm routine. There are seven minute routines for AM and PM, slightly longer versions (with, I think more detailed instructions, about 13-14 min), plus an additional whole body 7 minute routine.

I'm seriously thinking about getting his Qi Gong for Deep Sleep, just because I like that kind of work at bedtime. So soothing.
I love both of those - and I also love Lee Holden's Meditation for Health & Healing. It is a very nice guided meditation, relaxing through the body and visualizing golden light filling the body, and the music is heavenly. It is on a CD and easily burned to an MP3 player.

I also like Shiva Rea's Drops of Nectar CD set. The second disk has a Yoga Nidra and long Savasana that is worth it even if you don't do the yoga. There's also a segment to work out kinks in the back with a softened up tennis ball. (You can use a kid's Spalding pinkie ball.)
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-13, 12:10 PM  
vm_mom

thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them. 30mts is definitely doable and he can modify anything longer
vm_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-13, 02:08 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

David Swenson's Just Relax is a gem. It's very gentle stretching, and there is a wonderful long deep relaxation/guided meditation at the end.

It's David and a few other people, on a beach in Hawaii. David's cuing is really good (voice-over).

David is one of the premier Ashtanga yoga teachers anywhere, but this DVD is NOT Ashtanga yoga! It isn't yoga at all, but a lovely stretching routine that would be really good before bed.

I use it when I am frazzled or just want something really gentle. I think it's great.

You can also get the DVD from David's site.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guided imagery, meditation, relaxation, yoga nidra