Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-12, 11:02 PM  
TerryMia

Ugi Ball workouts

Hi everyone, just wanting to know if anyone has used the Ugi ball exclusively as their form of workout for any length of time, and if so what kind of results you've gotten...I have soooo many workouts, and pretty much equipment accumulated, including my 10-lb Ugi ball. I've been mainly doing TA Hipcentric (meta and now Continuity) for quite a while now and have gotten great results...just want to start incorporating some of my other workouts/equipment...I'm thinking of doing something with my TRX (one of them too!) and my Ugi...thanks in advance for any and all responses!
TerryMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 12:36 PM  
slysam

I just received a 10 pound Ugi ball myself from the OpenSky sale. I've always been interested but was put off by the price. Yesterday I tried workout 1 which is said to be bicep, tricep, and shoulder focused. I like it though need to get use to the large size of the ball. The workout was full body and had a decent cardio effect (probably more in the future after I know the exercises). And my biceps are sore even though at the time I didn't think they were used very much. I don't really do many isolated bicep exercises so they do always get me as I tend to favor compound exercises. Some of the exercises remind me a little of those in Horizontal Conditioning. And also Bodyrock. tv (well some of the old Zuzana workouts use one, so I suppose that is why). I was surprised how heavy 10 pounds seemed on some of the exercises though since I use to use heavier dumb bells and kettlebells.

Have you tried any of the workouts yet? I haven't figures out how to work them in yet either. I figured I would try all the workouts first to get a sense of it. It seems like a variation on metabolic conditioning workouts to me, if I understand the concept.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 01:00 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMia View Post
Hi everyone, just wanting to know if anyone has used the Ugi ball exclusively as their form of workout for any length of time, and if so what kind of results you've gotten...I have soooo many workouts, and pretty much equipment accumulated, including my 10-lb Ugi ball. I've been mainly doing TA Hipcentric (meta and now Continuity) for quite a while now and have gotten great results...just want to start incorporating some of my other workouts/equipment...I'm thinking of doing something with my TRX (one of them too!) and my Ugi...thanks in advance for any and all responses!
I've never used it exclusively, but I use mine all the time. I think that the DVD that came with the kit has 5 workouts on it, so you can give it a whirl and see how it goes for you.

Bodyrock has a lot of workouts that utilize the Ugi, and this gal just started doing real time workouts with a Ugi:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Chelc21806

This clips is a Bodyrock "lite" workout. I tagged this on after my kettlebell circuit this morning. It's a good little workout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_84...layer_embedded
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 01:11 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Try Debbie's links!
Terry,
Look at those TA arms in your avatar. You are so pretty
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 07:34 PM  
afirmrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
I've never used it exclusively, but I use mine all the time. I think that the DVD that came with the kit has 5 workouts on it, so you can give it a whirl and see how it goes for you.

Bodyrock has a lot of workouts that utilize the Ugi, and this gal just started doing real time workouts with a Ugi:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Chelc21806
I was just going to mention Chelc21806. I love her workouts and can't wait till my Ugi ball comes so I can start using that with her workouts.

-----------------------------------------------
"Oxygen is free. Breath it in!" Jennifer Galardi DOTI Hip Hop Party

"A 30-minute workout is just 2% of your day. No excuses." Clubz

Lisa Shaffer 2013 10,000 Kettlebell Swing challenge completed.
afirmrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 08:52 PM  
slysam

I did the second ugi workout today. I really like the workouts as I think this one had an even better cardio effect. I slightly altered it and used the phone timer app for 45 seconds work and 15 rest so I had time to see what the next exercise is. I wish the dvd did this as yesterday I was a little lost, there are not verbal cues. I actually had a better "burn" according to my heart rate monitor and I did feel it in my chest and back as it said.

I also used my ugi today in place of a bosu on Mindy Mylera's "Tabata with Toys" (The BOSU circuits). It worked for most of the exercises, and may be better when my balance improves. The ball looks like a smaller surface than a bosu (Mindy could almost lay on hers), but it looks like you can use it for many exercises where a small bosu is used.

Some of the exercises are awkward for my height though. Like yesterday, there were bicep curls and the ball is longer than my forearms. I get the large size adds to the functional value, but I suspect I would be skipping some of the exercises or using different equipment like a kettlebell or something. But I plan to try all five workouts to get a sense of what can be done.

Thanks for the workout links! I like the look of the: http://www.youtube.com/user/Chelc21806 workouts as she uses some of the equipment I caved on in the past. (Like that dip bar!)
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 10:03 PM  
TerryMia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizach View Post
Try Debbie's links!
Terry,
Look at those TA arms in your avatar. You are so pretty
Thanks so much, mizach! You're sweet and made my day!
Old 07-18-12, 10:06 PM  
TerryMia

Thanks for all the great info and for the links, you guys...that site looks great! I do have all 5 of the Ugi workouts, as well as the one that came with it and they're good...just trying to figure out how to incorporate them into some kind of rotation.
Old 07-18-12, 11:06 PM  
afirmrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMia View Post
Thanks for all the great info and for the links, you guys...that site looks great! I do have all 5 of the Ugi workouts, as well as the one that came with it and they're good...just trying to figure out how to incorporate them into some kind of rotation.
Do you have the Total Body - DVD Set? Are they different workouts than the ones that come with the ball?

-----------------------------------------------
"Oxygen is free. Breath it in!" Jennifer Galardi DOTI Hip Hop Party

"A 30-minute workout is just 2% of your day. No excuses." Clubz

Lisa Shaffer 2013 10,000 Kettlebell Swing challenge completed.
afirmrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 11:16 PM  
TerryMia

Quote:
Originally Posted by afirmrose View Post
Do you have the Total Body - DVD Set? Are they different workouts than the ones that come with the ball?
Hi, yes they are different than the one that comes with the ball...6 separate disks...one for total body, lower body, upper body, extreme core, seriously advanced (!), and a Stretch one (LOVE this one)...of these I've only done the stretch and upper body...both were really good. I just need to dig in and start doing these...I've been seriously neglecting all my workouts since I've been doing Continuity (though love it a lot too), and with all the $$ spent on Ugi I want to make good use of it!

Tags
missbefit.tv, ugi, ugi ball, ugi fitness, vivace