Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-12, 07:37 AM  
sherry7899

crockpots...

If you have a crockpot, do you use it often? I'm debating buying one. This will sound odd, but I will only use it while I'm home. I'm neurotic about leaving things plugged in while we're out. Do your recipes turn out well? There are a bunch of crockpot recipes on "Gina's Skinny Recipes" site that I'd like to try.

I'm thinking about it because Kohl's has a 6QT size Hamilton Beach on sale for 1/2 off , so it would only be $19.99, plus they have coupons to use at checkout. I don't think I'd find one cheaper than that.

Thanks !
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 07:40 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I have three crockpots and I use them a lot. However, I don't know how much use I'd get out of them if I had to be in the house while the food cooked. You can make some pretty good stuff in one. The thing I use it for the most is soups, but I also roast chicken and cook other dishes.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 07:46 AM  
PhyllisG

I have one and never use it. Mainly because I will leave nothing plugged in while I am not at home. Not ever the toaster oven or the microwave.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 07:47 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Laura! I know not wanting to leave them on when I leave the house kind of defeats the purpose of them That is why I'm not sure about buying one or not. There are a few weekend days here and there where we don't go anywhere, but I don't know if the limited amount of time I"d use them would justify the space it would take up.

Sherry

Phyllis, I am with you!!!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 10:11 AM  
Christine S.
VF Supporter

I got a crock pot at my bridal shower in 1996; I still have it and use it at least once a week. I mainly use it to make soups, stews and chili, although I also make meatloaf in it and it comes out great.
I often say that if I didn't have a crockpot, my family might starve!
Old 05-11-12, 10:30 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

I use my crockpot often to cook while I'm home. Sometimes I'm just too tired at the end of the day to put together a whole meal. So starting early with the crockpot really helps. (It also makes the house smell good.)

I should add that I don't leave the crockpot on when I leave the house either.
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 09:27 PM  
Saffie J

I love my crockpots (I have 2 different sizes) and get good use out of them (especially in winter), however I do leave them on when I'm at work. The things that I make in them (soups, casseroles, legs of lamb etc) all reheat well, so the other option you could consider is turning it on before you go to bed and transfer to the fridge when you wake up and then dinner is made and ready to be reheated that night (some of the crockpot bowls can be used to reheat on the stove).
Saffie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 10:54 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

I've had good luck with salsa chicken, chili with meat and beans, taco soup, and 'rotisserie' chicken, roast, pepperonici roast (YUM!) - not so good luck with stuff that has pasta cooked in it - mine came out mushy. also did a good meatloaf in mine a couple of times. some things I've fixed don't look good but they taste good.
Old 05-13-12, 06:09 PM  
DonnaMarie

crockpot cooking

I have three crockpots. I have done alot of experimenting to translate family recipes to the crockpot; minestrone, spaghetti meat sauce, split pea soup and my "world famous" chile (she said modestly). I couldn't live without my pots......
Old 05-13-12, 06:31 PM  
smith938
VF Supporter

DonnaMarie would you share those recipe? well maybe not split pea LOL though I've never had split pea so maybe it's good...

Tags
crockpot