Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-12, 04:08 PM  
TinaT

I was so discouraged yesterday that I threw my hands up and didn't even think of working out. I even cried a bit.. I know it's a journey and always will be. I guess I'm having unrealistic goals.

I appreciate all the input and it makes 100% sense.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 04:16 PM  
flowerpotcat

Why don't you try progress pictures? I'm sure visuals is more powerful than scale numbers. Or you can measure your inch loss in areas you're concerned about.
flowerpotcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 04:16 PM  
sunday

Weight loss is extremely difficult, but don't give up!! The best thing I did while losing weight was literally throwing all of our scales out. I went probably, oh, a year before I weighed. It was nice to just see how baggy my clothes got and how much smaller I had to buy them. By the time I weighed (at the doctor's) I was 20 pounds down. Not weighing also took away ALL the pressure to see minute losses. It just felt very freeing.

Remember, it's the progress you make over a long period of time, not over a few days here and there. It took my three years to lose 48 pounds, and I'm still working on a couple more!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 04:31 PM  
txfitmom

I lose weight really slowly as well and I agree to just keep at it and don't worry about what the scale says. Love that cartoon Lucky Star!

I have finally realized that I have two choices:
1. Give up and eat everything in my kitchen every time the scale does not say what I want it to

OR

2. Keep on truckin and doing my workouts, eating well, because at the end of the road there may just be a reward.

Sometimes it is hard to see progress day by day, but a year from now who knows where you will be.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 07:20 PM  
Poogle

I have the same problem- I found that restricting myself to only weighing in once per week, and also doing measurements once per week was much more encouraging.

There is so much that can affect your weight day to day, that it is not the best indicator of how well you are doing. Just keep on doing your thing, and you will get there!
Poogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 08:24 PM  
dnna

I was at the Dr.office yesterday and asked the nurse not to tell me my weight-I told her I had been trying so hard with my workouts and water/food etc. that I just could not keep going if I didn't see a significant loss. she got it completely- no problem.
a day at a time, put the scale away. like for good. I have pants I wore in my glory days that I pull out and see how I am doing, but I actually don't do that very often.
good luck,

donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 08:59 PM  
TinaT

Thank you everyone for such sound advice. I was just about to lose it!!
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 09:57 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
I was so discouraged yesterday that I threw my hands up and didn't even think of working out. I even cried a bit.. I know it's a journey and always will be. I guess I'm having unrealistic goals.

I appreciate all the input and it makes 100% sense.
Ah no, don't cry!
I've said it before, I'm a slow loser. However, I've lost about 40 pounds in the past 4 years. Now 10 pounds a year may be slow weight loss, but here I am 40 pounds lighter so it still happened.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 04:19 AM  
lrb04

Tina, From reading your post from time to time, I know you have tried different types of workouts. Do workouts that motivate you and you enjoy. It is frustrating when one thinks about weight loss not being what we wanted it to be after trying so hard. Don't be hard on yourself, a lot of us have the same trouble. I would just keep plugging away and try not to focus on what you have not done yet but what you will achieve in the future if you keep up your fitness lifestyle. When feeling depressed about this and not wanting to do anything, pull out a workout you enjoy and just do it. It will come in time. Also find out what combination of cardio / weights works for you. You might find that more weighted work wil be better for you.
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 09:15 AM  
buttons11

I've been here before

ms Tina I sooo get where you are

I arrived where you are a few months ago...really down on my lack of progress on the scale then came multiple dereailments by illness & injuries my mindset was in the Cr@@per and the scales just made it so much worse

but I did a little self assessment a few weeks ago...Back in 2006 I was in a car accident w/significant back/neck strain & air bag inuries to my chest so after rehab I spent a year working with a trainer and managed to loose 15lbs...but was still 20lb short of my goal...I worked HARD but the weight wasn't just falling off and I just felt a bit beat up after all my efforts...but I couldn't afford to continue...so when I left the trainer I had an overwhelming feeling of defeat & failure that I hadn't reached my weight goal...and no confidence that I could do it on my own...so as a self-fulfilling prophecy I gained the weight back & then some extra.

My biggest regret now is NOT the extra poundage...but looking back even at 20lb away from my 'goal' I had neglected to appreciate the dramatic improvements in my health...I was FIT & STRONG!
I could sprint w/o having to stop from asthma
resting HR was 52
I could do 25 full pushups straight [couldn't do ANY full & could only do a few on my knees when I started]
but all that & more just slipped away because I didn't value it...
CURSE THAT SCALE and MY unreasonable expectations

Now I'm resetting my goals...this time I am focusing on my overall fitness and strength...
no matter how long it takes
the scale is nothing but shackles
I refuse to let it hold me back any more
its just emotional self torture

of course I'm not saying weight doesn't matter
but I would take that 20lb 'overweight' FIT body I had back in a split second

every stride makes a difference in our quality of life...

please be kind to yourself ms Tina
don't give up
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motivation, scale