Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-11, 02:41 PM  
alisoncooks

Total Body Challenge (30 min)
Coach Nicole refers to this as a "kettlebell inspired routine" using dumbbells. Again, variations are shown for different levels, the advanced modifier often showing higher impact or more balance challenge.

Some moves shown: squats (pick up/put down dbs, 1 legged), swings (2 handed and 1 handed, stationary and traveling), windmill, woodchops, lunges, rows. The dumbbell swings (with all the variations done) are sprinkled in between more strength-focused moves as the "cardio burst".

Cool Down (4 min)
Marching --> forward and back
Side steps --> add on arm movements
Stretching in lunge position, quad stretch, hamstring & side stretch
Basic and pretty succinct.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 02:22 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Reviving this thread - i found a used copy of this at a Saver's thrift store.

Here's a link to what the 28-day calendar looks like on the DVD. It essentially takes the workouts that alisoncooks so nicely detailed and spaces them out over the 28 day period, and the premixes automatically add the same warm up (6 min) and cool down (4 min). you essentially work out for 5 days/wk, and the 2 days are for resting or cross training.

the color codes on the calendar have the legend on the bottom, and the legend titles are the same ones that alisoncooks wrote out.

since i only had 30 min to work out this morning, i selected Day 9 (week 2) of the calendar - which corresponds to the Tone & Burn workout.

in the same link, further down, Nicole does an explanation of Week 2.

in Nicole's weekly explanations, she has the phrase "rest of cross train" i think she means "rest OR cross train," unless that's some special language she uses in her blog referring to "continue working out if you so choose." maybe someone here knows if this is a typo or not?

the Tone & Burn workout is not bad. the "advanced" modifier is positioned on the LEFT, and the beginner is on the RIGHT of our screen. i'm accustomed to having the advanced modifier on our right.

Nicole mirror cues except when she's positioned in a side profile stance.

the music is barely audible.

when she's about to do a cardio move, she says "3-2-1" or "4-3-2-1" and they're standing absolutely still, and it causes a "dead space" - after about the first 3 instances of this, i began marching in place with big-limb movements. i can't tell whether her "3-2-1" in time w/the music since the music was really quiet.

Nicole is pleasant and friendly and works out in the video (vs. coaching the other 2 women). the 2 cast members are good. when she does a new move, all 3 of them do the beginner version, then she adds on intermediate and then advanced modifications. if you followed the advanced modifier, the intensity is between "beginner - intermediate," but more toward beginner. or what someone said - Stephanie Huckabee's powerfit.

i used 5# DBs, and this is appropriate since most of the moves are AWT and not like traditional gym-style weight lifting.

since Acacia produced this, it has good production values. i don't have Nicole's other 2 DVDs nor have i followed her on sparkpeople or YouTube.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coach nicole, nicole nichols, sparkpeople