Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-11, 01:11 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

It sounds versatile but I thought the clip on Collage looked deadly dull.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 09:01 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
Alison Why didn't you take it with you so you could try it out!
Yeah, I'd already picked 2 others to bring....and let me be honest...I pack the dvds, but I rarely do them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
It sounds versatile but I thought the clip on Collage looked deadly dull.
Lucky~ I'll be honest, when I was previewing it, I don't remember any individual segment standing out as different from all the rest. Maybe b/c I did a "play all" and they all just ran into each other. Hopefully when I view the segments individually, they'll be more interesting.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 09:12 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Yeah, I'd already picked 2 others to bring....and let me be honest...I pack the dvds, but I rarely do them!
Alison Been there, done that! I hope you enjoy your time away. Merry Christmas!

We will be leaving to go out of town tomorrow after lunch with my Mom. I am taking my jump rope, weighted gloves, TurboFire, Leslie's 1 mile Jog, maybe a longer Leslie, and another kickboxing workout. This will give me a variety to choose from. Now let's see what kind of excuses I can make up for not working out. Believe me, I can talk myself in or out of anything! I've got a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 10:39 AM  
hollymarie

On their website, they show a 7 day plan for daily short strength training, videos included. They recommend adding 5 days of 30 minute cardio.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...es.asp?id=1075

“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” Albus Dumbledore

hollymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 01:25 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Smile

I think I want this. I am comming off a Leslie only rotation so this would be a nice segway to more indermediate workouts.
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 02:18 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPLYN61 View Post
I think I want this. I am comming off a Leslie only rotation so this would be a nice segway to more indermediate workouts.
I just got through previewing/writing the breakdowns for this dvd. I think it would be GREAT to follow Leslie.

There were several points in which I thought that the moves reminded me of Erin O'Brien's workouts....and at other times, I felt the style of instruction (adding on) reminded me of Stephanie Huckabee. I think it would be a suitable dvd to add to a Powerfit rotation (nice short workouts, easy to learn, lots of modification/levels shown).

Anyway, I'll follow up with some breakdown posts for those that are interested...
Old 12-28-11, 02:23 PM  
alisoncooks

Typical Acacia dvd...lots of main menu choices.

MENU
  • Introduction
  • Workout options
    1. Follow Coach Nicole's 28 Day plan (this is the interactive calendar with preset premixes, ranging from 22-60 minutes...though most are under 40 minutes)
    2. Or Choose Your Own Workout (Play All, Warm up, Cardio Burst, Short Cardio Sculpt, Tone & Burn, Total Body Challenge, Cool Down)
  • Bonus Features
    1. Seated Ab Exercises (to do at work, etc)
    2. 3 Tricks to Burn more Fat
    3. About SparkPeople
    4. About Coach Nicole
    5. Excerpt from Exhale CF Thighs & Glutes ("Turned Out Thigh")
    6. Excerpt from Erin O'Brien "Strong Body, Ageless Body"
  • Also from Acacia (trailers for 4 releases)
  • Credits

About the set:
Large, bright loft-type room. Wooden floor.
Coach Nicole is front & center w/ 2 backgrounders that show different levels of difficulty.
There is a count-down clock on the bottom of the screen.
Old 12-28-11, 02:30 PM  
alisoncooks

Warm Up (6 min)
Well-cued, begins with a basic move and then becomes progressively more intense/complex, taught add-on style.
So a march becomes a traveling march --> add on a knee hop --> add on arm movement. Or a plie squat --> add on prisoner arms --> add on a torso twist --> arm swings.
Very non-intimidating, even when it becomes higher impact. Coach Nicole always gives "permission" to remain at a lower level or without specific add-ons.

Cardio Burst (12 min)
Some of this reminded me of Gay Gasper's Fat Burning for Dummies (who remembers that?). Basic, old-school moves to start (march, grapevines, mamba, mamba with a push-turn). Then it progresses to some more intense moves (jacks, cardio paced lunges, jump lunges, squats, boxer shuffle w/ punching variations); low-impact mods always shown.
Again, all taught in add-on manner, often goes back to march between moves.
Old 12-28-11, 02:36 PM  
alisoncooks

Short Cardio Sculpt (12 min)
This segment alternates cardio with strength moves. The moves start simple/small and then build up. Some cardio moves: side taps with arms, lunges with kicks, burpee (with mods shown), high knees/skips. Some strength moves: squat w/ clean & press, biceps curls/kickbacks, bridge, pushups, planks.

Tone & Burn (20 min)
This one has more strength work with some cardio bursts thrown in. Most of the moves start off basic and then add more body parts or planes or levels (again, taught add-on style and with mods offered). Some examples:
  • curtsey lunges --> add a side kick at top of move -->add a press overhead
  • seated bicep curls --> add a lean back to engage abs --> add alternating leg lifts
Old 12-28-11, 02:39 PM  
DachsieDogMom

Target also has a coupon for $3.00 off
http://coupons.target.com/sparkdvd-coupons
DachsieDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coach nicole, nicole nichols, sparkpeople