Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-11, 02:16 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

suzanne deason - dislike her yoga, but like her earlier ball series

i'm thinking of getting her compilation disc that has the balance ball workouts (abs, UB, LB). i remember taping these workouts from The Health Channel before it became exercisetv. i liked them back then.

i don't like her as a yoga or pilates instructor, though.

any thoughts?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 02:19 PM  
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i'm thinking of getting her compilation disc that has the balance ball workouts (abs, UB, LB). i remember taping these workouts from The Health Channel before it became exercisetv. i liked them back then.

i don't like her as a yoga or pilates instructor, though.

any thoughts?
While I've read that many think her balance ball workouts are "too easy" I enjoy them! She gives her good instructions and the scenery is beautiful.
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 02:30 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I like Suzanne, but we all have different tastes. If you remembered liking the ball series you might still enjoy them.

I got the three discs on a special from Mary's after not having done them in quite a few years. I was surprised at how easy they seemed now. I didn't even think of it as exercise - more like stretching with a couple of "zowies" thrown in. But I felt wonderful afterward - stretched and calm.

For a slightly stronger workout I prefer her Balance Ball Fitness for Weight Loss, which is more Pilates-inspired. She uses the stability ball as a reformer replacement. To be honest, I don't get any of the four videos out all that often but they have a special place on my "just what I need tonight" shelf nevertheless.

I have rediscovered a fondness for those old Gaiam vids and am trying to collect more Walden and Yee and probably any Deasons missing, too.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 02:51 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I like Suzanne, but we all have different tastes. If you remembered liking the ball series you might still enjoy them.
pat - i agree with everything you wrote. i can't get rid of my rodney's from of yore, even though i don't use them!!! i've been using his more recent workouts (AM yoga for your week, for example).

i have many balance ball workouts that are more intense. at the time, suzanne's was one of the only series that were available.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 05:13 PM  
DejaDeb

I'm not a huge fan of yoga, but I do have Suzanne's yoga and Pilates DVD's. I really like her very gentle, very calm, very relaxing personality -- and I LOVE the outdoor settings!! I like that I can really "sink deep" into the workout if/when I want to without having to be "mindful" of my practice.

I say get the compiliation for the ball workouts that you already know you like ... perhaps you'll discover some day that either the yoga workout or the Pilates workout (or both!) have grown on you!
Old 08-02-11, 06:03 PM  
donnamp

I recently pulled out Suzanne's Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss and really loved it - the slower pace really enabled me to use good form in the postures and the Sedona setting - ahh --- at the time when it first came out I didn't use it that often b/c I was more into Bryan Kest/Baron Baptiste - but now I really am enjoying this and Suzanne's Pilates and AM/PM Yoga for Weight Loss.

I have one of her old balance ball workouts from the series bzar mentioned, I wish I had kept them all. I should see about re-acquiring on dvd.

take care -

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 11:39 AM  
aunatural

My intro to Suzanne was when I bought Gaiam's Body Target Hips and Thighs at a yard sale. I loved Jillian's Pilates workout and absolutely HATED Suzanne's yoga workout. I wrote a review on Amazon. The workout was just too fast paced for me and she used unfamiliar terms like calling warrior "wide stride". I didn't know what the heck she was talking about and kept having to look at the TV to see what she was doing. There is just no excuse for bad cueing when the instruction is voiceover. I haven't purchased another workout of hers since.

2014 Goal- Be consistent! Embrace yoga!
aunatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 01:22 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Tracey - I used to have that video and it was the only Deason that I disliked. It moved too fast and I also ended up facing away from the screen and getting totally lost. And I agree about the "wide stride." Her other programs are not like that at all!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suzanne deason