Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-11, 12:18 AM  
Eibhinn

Questions about K Voight's new releases: Cost and Packaging

I've kept track of comments and reviews about Karen Voight's newest releases (the stretch and ballet workouts) since they were announced. I find her instruction and the setting to be very intriguing. There are two reasons I haven't yet bit on either of them
1. The packaging: I rarely use DVDs which are packaged in sleeves, cd cases, or which are in normal cases without artwork. They just get crowded out by everything else in my collection and become invisible to me.
2. The cost: I had a hard time convincing myself to dish out $20 for a workout which I expect will eventually be re-released at retail at half the price, especially when it's currently packaged in a cheap cardboard sleeve.

My question to you all, although I realize most answers will be purely speculation.

1. The listings on Collagevideo and Karen Voight's own website do not mention that the DVD comes in a sleeve, and the artwork makes it look like it comes in a standard case, while totalfitnessdvds is explicit that their copies do come in a sleeve. Are there newer copies which do not come packaged like the originals, or are collage and Voight just not bothering to advertise the cheaper/eco-friendly packaging choice?

2. Do you think this will be re-released at retail in a standard case and at a lower cost? This seems to be the pattern with K Voight's older releases (higher-priced original release of self-produced workout followed by wider release through distribution company at much lower price). Are there any cases of this NOT happening, or any reason to expect it won't happen in the case of these two newer workouts?

I'm planning on waiting on buying either of these not only because I'm trying to do no, or at least slow, buying this year, but also because it's worthwhile to wait to buy, or even trade, if i can get my preferred packaging and a lower price. I'm just curious if anyone thinks I'll wait a year or more for nothing.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 08:00 AM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

No answers to your speculations, but I *lost* these once already. Turned a couple of rooms upside down...then remembered they were in the cardboard sleeve and...there they were!

To me, it would seem odd that they would change the packaging later on.

Pam
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 08:10 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

I don't have any of them but I would imagine they stay being sold in the sleeve. As far as I heard, Karen is trying to support Eco packaging.

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 08:46 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

I'm not crazy about the cardboard sleeve either. I'm wondering if they do this because some folks eventually wind up putting the dvds in one of those things where you can put hundreds of dvds???? I have to keep reminding me I have them when sorting through my stuff...

As for them going retail, do you mean in a B&M store, like say Walmart or Target? I haven't seen enough KVs in any store to make it worthwhile to wait for I probably shop the wrong stores

It may take awhile to find one you can trade for, but I'm sure you'll be able to...someone just might find they aren't happy with Karen or the lovely scenery or...
Old 01-17-11, 09:27 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I put all my discs in Discgears so packaging is a moot point for me.
And I these workouts and Karen... she's a total inspiration to me!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:29 AM  
debbied
VF Supporter

I have the Ballet Sculpt workout and I put it in a DVD case. The cover slides in the front. Since I organize my workouts by genre, it's the only one without artwork.

If you LOVE Karen, you probably will like this workout. I was looking to add to my barre collection. Even for me , it is easier than the rest (P57, Pure Barre, Squeeze, etc.), so given what I know, I probably would hold off. And it is short, too. JMHO

Constantly in a state of gratitude.

Dream big because the only thing that can hold you back is a life without dreams. Sean O'Malley

If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. Jean Kerr
debbied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:56 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm not sure these will go to retail since she used a production company in Montana. I think the eco packaging is the wave of the future because it's cheaper. I got some nonfitness dvds for Christmas and the cases were full of holes even in cases that held more than one dvd. I think they're trying to phase them out.

You might compromise and order one of the titles (the one you want the most) and wait and see on the other one.
Old 01-17-11, 10:04 AM  
Eibhinn

Thanks for the replies!

I mean "retail" like the DVDs tend to be available only through Karen Voight and people like Collage etc., but then eventually you can get it from Amazon.com etc. at a reduced price. Seems to be the case for most/all of her previous releases. And it means they're probably available in some brick and mortar stores, although I've never seen them either.

My curiosity about the packaging is that I can't imagine any distributor would be willing or able to sell a mass-market DVD in a cardboard sleeve unless it is sold attached to a book or kit (like Gaiam kits). Eco-friendly or not, the current packaging would be too hard/annoying to handle and merchandise and too prone to damage or theft for most retail environments. There is precedent for packaging and formats to change, for example Yoga on the Edge by Sara Ivanhoe was originally DVD-R in a cd-case, and later was released in a standard case as a pressed DVD.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 01:36 PM  
F1mom

People seem to be moving to cardboard sleeves more and more, unfortunately. While some of them like Sylwia at Tonique charge less because postage and packaging cost less, others still charge the same or more. Paying $19.99 for Karen Voight isn't so hard, paying $120 for a BB series that comes in cardboard is my issue. Or heck, even Zumba, which I paid $65 from Amazon.com.

So I bought a pack of 20 DVD cases at Staples on sale for $9.99. Those cardboard sleeves fit nicely in the front of the case and I put the DVD in. I guess I'll have to invest in labels for the side spine.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 01:43 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I had my MIL get me these for Christmas and they slipped behind a bookcase because of the slim packaging and shrink wrap. Took me a couple days to find them. Irritating.

I do love the workouts and think they are worth purchasing. I put them in dvd cases.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballet body sculpt, ballet bodysculpt, full body stretch, karen voight