Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-11, 01:17 AM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Jennifer Kries also does The 5 Tibetans in her Hot Body, Cool Mind series.
I became intrigued by the Five Tibetans a few years ago and was excited to receive Jennifer Kries' DVD in a trade. But I quickly Joni O'd it after Jennifer actually interrupted the flow of the Tibetans to rabbit on about how beneficial they are (the same blurb she had already presented in the introduction). Urgh!

But I found Simply Spoga which has a simplified version of the Five Tibetans, called the "Five Spogans". The Five Spogans are presented in a different order to the Five Tibetans, and would be good for someone with limited flexibility or other issues.

Simply Spoga certainly wouldn't appeal to everyone, but I enjoy it - the DVD also includes a guided meditation in which you tense then relax your muscles working through your body from your feet to your face. (I can't remember the name of this technique but it's very effective.)

There are also some reviews of Simply Spoga, and the more advanced practice, Spoga, at VF.
Old 05-01-11, 04:36 AM  
in paris

LOL! Sometimes I think this place is just psychic...

I decided last night that I was going to start doing this every morning... Never clicked with Ravi and Ana and so I bought the one by Stacey Lei Krauss (I her!) for starting out.

I've dabbled with these already, by reading up and such, to learn breathing techniques, etc... All the moves now, after a month of intense yoga are accessible to me, except for Rite 4. I still do not have the strength in one arm for that pose and am unsure of how to modify it whilst I am building my strength... (I hate that I can do 21 of all the others whereas this move is like lifting a boulder, not to mention painful.)

Any suggestions hugely appreciated!
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 09:22 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post

I decided last night that I was going to start doing this every morning... Never clicked with Ravi and Ana and so I bought the one by Stacey Lei Krauss (I her!) for starting out.

I've dabbled with these already, by reading up and such, to learn breathing techniques, etc... All the moves now, after a month of intense yoga are accessible to me, except for Rite 4. I still do not have the strength in one arm for that pose and am unsure of how to modify it whilst I am building my strength... (I hate that I can do 21 of all the others whereas this move is like lifting a boulder, not to mention painful.)

On this site (scroll down to the section entitled "Exercises in preparation for doing the 5 Tibetan Rites"), an alternative for Rite 4 is bridge pose. I agree that Rite 4 is tough on the shoulders. By doing bridge, you still get the many of the benefits of Rite 4 (like strengthening your lower back, glutes and hamstrings) without putting any weight on your shoulder.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 09:47 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
On this site (scroll down to the section entitled "Exercises in preparation for doing the 5 Tibetan Rites"), an alternative for Rite 4 is bridge pose. I agree that Rite 4 is tough on the shoulders. By doing bridge, you still get the many of the benefits of Rite 4 (like strengthening your lower back, glutes and hamstrings) without putting any weight on your shoulder.
Thank you, Betsy!

I actually found that sire earlier today (time zone difference) and bookmarked it... I love bridge!

Your comment above made me realise, though, that I need to work more on loosening my shoulders (mind you, the tricep has been a little wonky after being snipped for the initial surgery and anchored in my elbow through threads in the forearm for almost a year)... I developed an almost permanent hunch in my attempt to protect the elbow from any jostling on the crowded streets of Paris. I went to an osteopath to help, but didn't have enough money to keep that up with all the PT (out-of-pocket) I was doing for my arm three times a week.

I used to be able to clasp hands (sometimes forearms) behind my back but now I can't even get close... A stretch for me to include every day now --thank you for your insight!
Old 05-01-11, 10:45 AM  
Castella

When I first did the Ravi Ana Kundalini for Beginners, I posted about the 5 Rites and there wasn't much of a response. It's exciting to see more discussion about this.

The Ravi Ana version starts with table, then leg lifts, then down dog up dog, then camel finally spinning. There are modifications shown, and taking breaks is encouraged if you can't keep up. I can't do table without hurting my wrists, so I do bridge. I also tried modifying using blocks to hold onto instead of hands flat on the floor. There isn't much helpful guidance on doing leg lifts safely (although there is a modification) so I turned to Yoga Journal online. I think there are good safety pointers for the back and neck on camel, and I also use Schiffmann's book for pointers on pelvis positioning for backbends.

I like to do the entire sequence (minus spinning which never did anything for me but make me feel nauseous) after a good core workout.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 11:44 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I had started an "Everything Five Tibetans" Thread here years ago and now the link to it no longer works. I wonder where it went?

I only did it for a month or so, here and there, but stopped because I hate not having my tea and breakfast ASAP in the morning.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 12:22 PM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
I had started an "Everything Five Tibetans" Thread here years ago and now the link to it no longer works. I wonder where it went?

I only did it for a month or so, here and there, but stopped because I hate not having my tea and breakfast ASAP in the morning.
LOL! Coffee first is a must for me or else it just ain't happening...

Here's one of your threada: http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...light=tibetans

And one that came before it: http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...light=tibetans

ETA: Though I saw the link to Everything Five Tibetans and it won't come up... Did you jinx it? http://69.93.245.62/forum/showthread...774#post354774
Old 05-01-11, 05:43 PM  
tigerbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post

in paris, I just watched a clip of the Krauss dvd and it looks great! She has an amazing physique! Does this have a follow along workout on it or is it purely instructional?
tigerbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 03:18 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbaby View Post
in paris, I just watched a clip of the Krauss dvd and it looks great! She has an amazing physique! Does this have a follow along workout on it or is it purely instructional?
I just viewed the main section which is a follow along... Very interesting.

She has 7 moves, rather than 5, and I understand why she included these -- making it more rounded from a fitness stand-point -- but, obviously, that varies from the original rites. The breathing, also, seems more yogic than what I thought you were supposed to do during the rites (which may be good for me because I'm dyslexic and trying to teach myself the proper patterns with my practice)... Whether that lessens the efficacy of the rites, I don't know... She also has you spin both ways which I heard was a no-no. Not sure I agree with this, even as I understand why she's doing it...

She has a fill-in-the-blank affirmation between exercises which makes me smile as the graphics are a little Monty Python-ish. It's a nice touch -- but may rub me the wrong way in the long run as I'm a grump first thing in the morning. (There is a separate instructional on grounding, breathing, and how to use the mantra between exercises. It also includes a bit of foot work, something near and dear to her heart -- her Sole Training download is awesome!) She gives names to the movements which allow you to visualise and feel what they are supposed to do. Again, a very nice touch. Each move has a purpose.

It feels very new-agey, rather than spiritual, and it may make yoga purists shiver. Kind of like yoga for everybody and every body, if you will. She has all sorts of people she's teaching this to -- men, kids, women of all ages and shapes. Whilst she doesn't actively count, she gives you time to work up to doing 21 repetitions. There are some pointers, some corrections, but not really modifications. She simply says you'll work your way towards it. (I haven't viewed the intro, mind you, burned this to my computer.)

I'm not particularly new-agey myself, but I do like Stacey Lei. I also like her additions (other than the spin in both directions). The entire follow along is less than 15 minutes.

ETA: two interesting articles on the direction of spinning: http://www.tibetanlife.com/five-tibetan-exercises1.html http://thefivetibetans.blogspot.com/...pin-it-is.html
Old 05-02-11, 03:02 PM  
in paris

After actually doing this, here are some thoughts:

This definitely has a more "fitness" feel to it. For people who like a DVD to work along to and/or think it will keep them honest and doing it, it's great.

For me, I see it more as a great thing to take on holiday or such -- times when I frankly usually nothing (being honest -- I get perplexed by all the people who take stuff along) and trust in all the walking I know I'll be doing.

I can't imagine working out to this every day for two reasons. One) her first rite is something I can't do for the allotted time (3 minutes) and I can see it frustrating me. (On the other hand, it may make me pull it out once a week to judge my progress.) Two) and the main reason, I am truly grumpy in the morning which is when I plan on doing this. The music and the affirmations will get on my nerves... This probably goes for any version of the rites -- I just think I'll be happier doing them on my own, in silence.

Again, I truly do adore Stacey Lei, but me and the morning are touchy...

I can't honestly say whether I recommend this or not... If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Tags
5 tibetan rites, carolinda witt, donna eden, five tibetans, hot body cool mind, simply spoga, spoga