Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-10, 10:36 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Question Seeking input on Sounds True type healing, meditation music and programs

I'm on a big holistic approach to conquer my stress reactions and have been using the few yoga music CDs in my collection to help. What I currently have:
  • Shiva Rea Shakti Rhythms
  • Shiva Rea Jala
  • Shiva Rea Nataraja
  • Soul Food - Yoga Groove and Yoga Rhythm (meh on these - start good but too repetitive)
  • Rama Berch Savasana
  • Not music but also have Lee Holden's Meditation for Health & Healing CD

I'd love to find something with the music on Shiva's Yoga Chant.

I've been perusing the Sounds True catalog and website this morning but am getting overwhelmed - and I have to admit getting a little cautious, some of the stuff seems a little too good to be true. I have no clue who most of these people are and if what they're peddling is good "medicine."

From experience in yoga studios and massage sessions, I've found Celtic, Native American, Indian and Oriental music to be helpful, but I'm hoping for suggestions on your favorite meditative walking, nature sounds, and other types of listening media.

I get bored with glass bowls/chimes type stuff and while I love Shiva's collaborations with Jai Uttal and Ben Leinbach, that type of chant makes me visualize him going to the bathroom after awhile.

Thanks so much!!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 10:49 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I really like Sleep Better from Michael Gach. The only part I've done is the in-bed facial acupressure self-massage and eye exercises. I've had the segment ease headaches away. Even a pre-migraine!

http://www.soundstrue.com/shop/Sleep...HVyqjK0rNYF.20

His voice is not especially soothing, but the routine is.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 11:55 AM  
Eibhinn

Nawang Khechong has a number of albums through Sounds True which have Tibetan and Native American flute music. His music is the soundtrack to Kim Eng's Qi Flow Yoga and for the stretch section on Soul Sweat. It's extremely relaxing. "Music as Medicine" might be a good choice.

Another option to consider are Tony Scott's albums (released through Verve in 1965 and 1968) Music for Zen Meditation and Music for Yoga Meditation. Scott is (was?) a talented clarinetist who collaborated with a shakuhachi and koto player (for "Zen") and a sitar player (for "Yoga") to produce really relaxing ambient improvisational jazz albums with Japanese and Indian influences. These are both not only relaxing, but more musically satisfying than most New Age-y albums, in case that is a factor for you. Of the two, Zen is superior, both musically and in terms of being relaxing. I often play it in the background while reading/studying and it helps me focus. The Yoga album has some chanting on it - specifically in one track entitled "Hare Krishna - Hare Krishna" where - you guessed it - he chants "Hare Krishna" - although at a much slower and relaxed pace than any Krishna's I've ever seen. It caught me off guard the first time I played it, and thought I should mention it since I can imagine it might be a turnoff for some.

You can listen to clips of all three albums at the links I've provided.

All the best in getting stress free!
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 12:45 PM  
tigerbaby

Pat, if you're looking for the music on Shiva's Yoga Chant, it's from this cd from Uttal/Leinbach called "Music for Yoga and Other Joys".

I'm a huge fan of music from Hildegard von Bingen. You may have no interest in this style of music but I wanted to throw it out there in case you did. It's not offered on Sounds True. Maybe I love it so much because I was raised Catholic. I have quite a bit of meditation music but with her stuff, I have experiences that are very profound.

ETA: I also love practicing yoga to her stuff. Takes me to another place.
Old 09-25-10, 01:03 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

I like Hildegard von Bingen as well. And John Fahey works for me, though I can see where he wouldn't work for everyone.

Also like a Chalie Hayden collaboration album with Pat Metheny called Beyond the Missouri Sky. Also early Philip Glass, Terry Riley etc. (when repetition was really the thing).

Arvo Pärt, Henryk Gorecki (Symphony 3) and the other so-called European Mystics.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 03:21 PM  
spotted zebra

Healing programs (not music)

The most extraordinary healing exercises I've come across to date are those by energy medicine healer Donna Eden. I thought Lee Holden's qigong dvds were great (and still think so), but Donna's exercises have moved to no. 1 on my list now (followed by qigong which is compatible with what she does). For a beginning point I recommend 2 of her programs, which are a combination of Touch for Health, Kinesiology and Chinese medicine exercises:

1. Introduction to Energy Medicine DVD - taped seminar with an overview of what she does and why, and how energy works with demonstrations, and

2. The Energy Medicine Kit (includes DVD, CD, booklet and cards) - a basic beginner's practice and a good starting point.

If you like those then a terrific follow-up with additional exercises that have been invaluable to me of late is her Energy Medicine Essentials 3-DVD set. Her books are good too.

Donna's demonstrations on audience members and descriptions of what she sees in their energy fields are invaluable and her belief is that anyone can do this. You don't have to be able to see energy fields like she does to benefit like crazy and feel the difference. Her latest DVD set Energy Medicine for Women was recommended on another thread and it's good too. But I think the EM Essentials DVD set addresses more foundational issues so EM for Women would be my 4th choice.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 03:53 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Wow these responses are wonderful - thank you so much ALL! And Spotted thank you for the recommendations on the healing programs because I'm in the market for both modalities.

I will investigate all of these recommendations while making my wish list.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 07:03 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

It might not be what you're looking for, but I like Kelly Howell's Brain Sync "Guided Relaxation," especially for those 2 am freak-outs when I wake up and my brain won't be still. I've also used it to fall asleep and I have to say that I've never actually heard the end of the episode. She takes you into a golden garden and I lose it at some point in the garden.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I need to incorporate some of these into my routine.

_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 07:10 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbaby View Post
Pat, if you're looking for the music on Shiva's Yoga Chant, it's from this cd from Uttal/Leinbach called "Music for Yoga and Other Joys".

I'm a huge fan of music from Hildegard von Bingen. You may have no interest in this style of music but I wanted to throw it out there in case you did. It's not offered on Sounds True. Maybe I love it so much because I was raised Catholic. I have quite a bit of meditation music but with her stuff, I have experiences that are very profound.

ETA: I also love practicing yoga to her stuff. Takes me to another place.
I really like that particular Uttal/Leibach CD, even if I don't like all of Jai Uttal's stuff. That's a very good CD for self-guided practice.

I also like Hildegard von Bingen and use it for yoga - thanks for that link. The version I have is this one:
Vision, the music of Hildegard von Bingen

in a more meditative vein, I am very fond of Stephen Cope's Yoga for Emotional Flow, which is a combination of lecture and guided meditation, and Yoga Nidra, the meditative heart of yoga, by Richard Miller. He also has a 6 CD set that I've used more often than the one that comes with this book, but that one is a very good introduction.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 07:35 PM  
ardnas

Thumbs up

My absolute favorite CD for relaxation and de-stressing is Experience Yoga Nidra Guided Deep Relaxation by Swami Janakananda. I actually read about it here on VF and with so many rave reviews bought it. I've been using it for 3 years and still it! You can find it on amazon.com. It comes with a booklet & has 2 guided sessions (20 & 45 mins) and one 7min track of relaxing music.

Tags
donna eden, guided meditation, guided relaxation, healing music, meditation, yoga nidra