Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-10, 09:54 PM  
jerebo

Coping with TMJ

I suffer from TMJ (tempomandibular joint disorder)--basically a pain in the jaw joint that causes headaches.

Can you recommend anything that might help with that (short of surgery--and the splint!)? I wonder if some yoga poses, certain stretches, or pressure-point therapies might help. I'm experiencing a flare-up right now.

TIA!
Old 08-30-10, 11:11 PM  
RedPanda

Yes - I had that recently. I thought it was some kind of inner ear infection because I had terrible earache. My doctor diagnosed it very quickly and photocopied some exercises from a medical textbook.

The easiest exercise, and the one I did to fix the problem, was just pushing my lower jaw forward (ie so that my lower jaw protruded beyong my upper jaw). It hurt at first, but I stopped hurting as everything eased up.

The pain disappeared in a few days. I still do the exercise from time to time, just to make sure my jaw doesn't tighten up again.

You could try Googling the exercises.
Old 08-31-10, 12:44 AM  
ilovemybirds

I have TMJ, also. It tends to flare up off and on. Mine tends to flare up when I'm stressed, so doing things like yoga and pilates definitely help me with my TMJ. I also have to be really vigilant about not clenching my jaw, since my dentist said that could make it worse, also.
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 01:20 AM  
zumzum

I have TMJ--it leaves me with a sore jaw/neck/shoulder muscles rather than headaches, though. Here's what helps me:

-A custom fit nightguard. Expensive, but I'd have shattered several teeth by now clenching at night if I didn't have one. To save money, you can use one of the online services that sends you a kit to make your own mold for the guard--you send that in and they make the guard from it. It's around $140, versus $500 or so from the dentist for the same thing.

-I try to be aware when I'm clenching during the day and relax my jaw whenever I catch myself doing it and think relaxing thoughts--it takes vigilance, though, especially when I'm stressed. I also push it forward a bit, like the other poster mentioned.

-I also try to sleep on my back rather than my side or stomach. It ends up greatly reducing the pressure on my jaw/teeth.

-High impact activities make it worse--not sure why. That's part of the reason I gave up running--I'd clench my jaw so hard that by the end of a run it was aching, and I couldn't seem to relax it.
zumzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 08:37 AM  
ardnas

I've suffered from TMJ my entire life. I have been to countless doctors, dentists, orthodontists. I had braces for 2 years, an appliance I had to wear over my bottom teeth for 4 years, several night guards; both the $10-$30 over the counter ones and 4 $700 dentist custom made ones - both types did not help and actually caused more pain & headaches even though they were formed to my mouth. I've been prescribed relaxation therapy, biofeedback, electric current therapy, and now I am told I should go through it all again. No thanks, no way.
I found several things that I do that make the pain and grinding go away. First is not eating anything hard or chewy - no carrots, no chewing gum. Avoid stress by doing yoga, yoga nidra, & meditating regularly. I make sure when I eat anything I chew evenly - not all on one side. I do several stretches for the face daily - lions pose, squeezing eyes and mouth tightly shut & releasing, opening jaw open wide but straight (not side to side) to relax facial muscles. I massage my jaw regularly. At all times I keep the tip of my tongue just below the start my upper teeth on the roof of my mouth, especially when falling asleep. I try to never have my teeth closed/touching. I've also found added relief through Reiki therapy.
Old 08-31-10, 08:38 AM  
neatski

I agree with the night guard recommendation, although that only applies if you do have night clenching.

You should also be aware that speech-language pathologists are trained to treat TMJ. The cost of an evaluation by one is much cheaper than a doctor, and it's worth looking into.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 10:24 AM  
jerebo

You all are a wealth of information. I didn't know about the online night guards (clenching at night is part of the problem), nor about speech language pathologists. Not to mention the other exercises you've suggested.

Thanks everyone!

Tags
jaw tension, teeth grinding, tmj, yoga nidra