Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-10, 01:49 PM  
alisoncooks

Which Zyrka Landwijt dvd should I go with?

A couple of Zyrka Landwijt's practices were recommended in my other running/wore-out thread. Looking over at Mary's site, I see the following:

Yoga: Gentle Vinyasa Flow (beg/int)
Yoga: Gentle Practice (beginner/gentle practice)
Yoga: Flow Saraswati River Tradition (intermediate)

From my glances, they all seem to offer the same format (2 each of 30, 45 and 60 min practices...though they may/not be variations/premixes?).

Those of you that have done these, which dvd do you recommend? (I have read the reviews here....but to be honest they all 3 sound the same).

I am looking for something nice and stretchy, graceful and flow-y to do on days I am not running. I do want *some* body toning benefits, but not sweaty power yoga.

I am a beginner in yoga, though I have dabbled in yoga videos for several years (I have not dedicated any consistent practice to it). I'm thinking the Intermediate (Saraswati) will be too advanced for me and the Gentle Practice may be less than I want....thoughts? That leaves Gentle Vinyasa Flow....
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 02:11 PM  
KathAL79

Yes, all three Zyrka DVDs have two separate but similar routines, each of which has two shorter premixes. Does that make sense?

I'm voting for Gentle Vinyasa. I haven't tried that one, but from what I've read it sounds like it's what you want. Or, rather, having tried the other two I'm pretty sure they're not what you want.

Gentle Yoga is pretty much all on the floor. This is a good one for relaxing, but if you want strength and toning, there's not as much for you here.

The Saraswati one is fairly vigorous, especially for someone who's probably around a beginner / intermediate level, but it'd be doable. It may be a little stronger than what you're looking for right now, though.

ETA: Danielle's post reminded me that I forgot to mention that I've also traded both Zyrka's. She's all right, but for some reason I wasn't reaching for either one. I have a large yoga collection and get pretty picky with it, though.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 02:19 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

I asked the same question back in April in this thread:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=147201

An update to that thread is that I ended up trading the Saraswati Flow DVD after doing it a few times. I'm not sure why, but I just didn't click with Zyrka.

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 02:28 PM  
herya

Alison, I would agree that Gentle Vinyasa Flow is probably the best bet for you.

All three DVDs follow the same format of two longer practices (ca 60+ minutes), and two shorter premixes of each. Each DVD therefore contains 6 practices, varying in length from 20-30 to 60+ minutes. Yoga: Flow has one practice which is 75 minutes in length, but as it includes (optional and skippable) chanting part, the physical practice is again just over an hour.

They all contain extras: GP and GVF have pose guides and YF has yoga nidra (guided meditation) and surya yoga (sun salutes practice with chakra related chants). I'm not really into meditation or chanting right now but they are separate menu options and are not forced on you in any way. GVF pose guide is very well explained.

I don't have GP (yet) but it looks like very basic, gentle, static yoga exploring and prepping for basic poses. I would still like to have it for a very light day but it might not be challenging enough for you, with modifications and slow easing into asanas (just guessing based on reviews and clips).

GVF is a slow flow consisting of mostly basic asanas. Practices A and B are similar in the choice of poses, but usually offer slightly different variations of asanas and practice B is a little faster (extra lunges with arching back are added to sun salutes/vinyasas) with the impression of continuous movement until you reach the seated poses section. I like practice A for its sequencing with tree and boat; the pace is just fine for a great soothing stretch with just enough of strength poses to feel a little "worked" too. It's very "simple and good" style. This DVD is my default practice, when I can't decide on anything else.

YF practices are in vinyasa style. They are not hurried but they definitely move. Like in GVF, the poses in A and B are similar, but practice A is a little more static with longer holds while practice B has more vinyasas throughout and also uses more "lunge, arch back" transitions to keep you moving. Compared to GVF Zyrka adds more balancing poses and backbends, also her standing flows are more demanding - longer and some have (optional) binds. For what you're looking for both full practices would probably be too much but the premixes tend to drop more demanding flows and might be a good match (if shorter).

I'm not sure why but I really love these practices. Zyrka is very understated but comes across as quietly confident and knowledgeable. I like her voice and choice of music. She doesn't overinstruct but she cues well and it's easy to get into the zone where your practice is smooth and focused with the instructor guiding but not overpowering you.

Well I hope it helps
Old 08-24-10, 03:12 PM  
alisoncooks

Thanks for all the feedback!

Marta~ That was very helpful...thanks for the detailed comments. I liked the look of these and you're right--Zyrka has nice voice and presentation (from what I can see in the clips).

I do think Gentle Vinyasa Flow sounds the most suited for my wants....but Gentle Practice sounds lovely, too...might have to keep that one in the back of my mind for a nice relaxing day!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 05:05 PM  
tigerbaby

I actually have all 3 dvd's but have yet to do the gentle practice. I think your best bet is the gentle vinyasa flow. It's stretchy, meditative, a good mixture of standing and floor, and just enough to make you work without overly exerting yourself but remaining fluid, flowy, and relaxed.

If I get up really early in the morning to do yoga, this one is my most used practice. It eases me into it without forcing me to work too hard when I'm stiff and sleepy.
Old 08-24-10, 05:58 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I do think Gentle Vinyasa Flow sounds the most suited for my wants....but Gentle Practice sounds lovely, too...might have to keep that one in the back of my mind for a nice relaxing day!
I like the Gentle but right now am not doing it because of knee inflammation and inability to sit in hero's pose. I can't wait to be able to do it again - I like Zyrka's demeanor and calm voice.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yoga nidra, zyrka landwijt