Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-10, 10:55 PM  
traceym1

Thanks for replys. Beth, I did not even think to check the reviews; will be off to that soon. I am sure next week, I will buy one or two to see how I like them.

Tracey
traceym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 01:13 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Ok, thanks to the info about the AM/PM workout from Sounds True, I've cancelled my pre-order on Amazon and chose a non-Holden workout instead.
Qi Gong Fire & Water With Matthew Cohen. It looks pretty good too and has an AM/PM option, which is why I went with that one.

Once I find out whether or not I like Qi Gong, I'll treat myself to one of Lee Holden's.

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 12:13 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

By the way, I've gotten a chance to look at Lee's book now. If you are able to follow poses well from a book then I strongly recommend it. He has it split into poses for 7 minutes of practice in both the AM and PM. He has all the poses in a nice full-page recap in the back of the book. There is some discussion of Lee's own path as well as discussion of the benefits of qi gong, meditation, drinking water, and of "tai chi walking," which is brisk walking while observing your breath and senses. He also recommends roughly 7 minutes of meditation and napping daily. Napping!

His writing is very persuasive and makes me want to start doing regular qi gong! (but not from the book; I need DVD's)
Old 08-25-10, 12:42 PM  
spotted zebra

Dr. Oz says if you want to be healthy and live to 100, do qigong. It's the one health practice he recommends above all others. I don't watch daytime TV but I heard this and thought it was interesting. He also has two qigong masters present during major operations like open heart surgery, at either end of the patients sending them healing qigong energy. So apparently he's a big believer.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 01:02 PM  
spotted zebra

I hit 'submit reply' too soon... Just wanted to add I'd like to get a hold of Lee's book. I keep meaning to check it out from our library. I'll bet he has some fascinating insights. Another recommendation is Francesco Garripoli's award winning documentary about qigong filmed in China. It's available on a 2-dvd set which includes a qigong practice plus the documentary (worth the price of the set alone), and Francesco's own story about how he recovered from a serious accident using qigong and surprised all his doctors by how much he was able to heal himself.

http://www.amazon.com/Qigong-Beginni...2758820&sr=1-3
Old 08-25-10, 01:18 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Spotted you have some really good reviews on Lee's work here, it would be great if you could copy and paste them into the Reviews section!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 01:27 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, way to promote the reviews!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 02:12 PM  
ardnas

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted_zebra View Post
Dr. Oz says if you want to be healthy and live to 100, do qigong. He also has two qigong masters present during major operations like open heart surgery, at either end of the patients sending them healing qigong energy.
I saw that show and thought it was 2 Reiki Masters he had with him during heart surgery, giving Reiki energy (one being Pamela Miles - a famous Reiki master who was actually on that show doing a demonstration, the other his wife, who has been a master for 20 yrs)??
Old 08-25-10, 04:31 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted_zebra View Post
Dr. Oz says if you want to be healthy and live to 100, do qigong. It's the one health practice he recommends above all others. I don't watch daytime TV but I heard this and thought it was interesting. He also has two qigong masters present during major operations like open heart surgery, at either end of the patients sending them healing qigong energy. So apparently he's a big believer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnas View Post
I saw that show and thought it was 2 Reiki Masters he had with him during heart surgery, giving Reiki energy (one being Pamela Miles - a famous Reiki master who was actually on that show doing a demonstration, the other his wife, who has been a master for 20 yrs)??
Ardnas, oh I heard qigong masters, seeing as I didn't see the actual show but only heard about it from someone who knows someone else who saw it. My mistake. Apparently Reiki is a derivative and one form of qigong healing. On the PBS documentary on Francesco Garri Garripoli's DVD you see regular people practicing qigong exercises and also qigong healers who send healing qi to patients and it looks similar to reiki (and of course both types of healing require specialized training). Qigong healing requires more indepth training and knowledge, such as knowing the specific types of qigong exercises to recommend to patients to do themselves as part of their after care, depending on their unique medical situations.

Here's one link I found. Sorry if I misled anyone, I didn't intend to. But you're right, I have known people who offer reiki healings but don't necessarily do qigong themselves. Whereas qigong healers tend to practice qigong or tai chi themselves daily as well. If that makes any sense?? Okay, forget my Dr. Oz story. There are better, less confusing examples around.
http://www.worldtaichiday.org/WTCQDHlthBenft.html

I did know that Dr. Oz is married to a reiki practitioner but didn't realize he'd had her on his show too.
Old 08-25-10, 04:34 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Spotted you have some really good reviews on Lee's work here, it would be great if you could copy and paste them into the Reviews section!
Thanks, Pat. I guess I could try to organize my reviews and put them over there some time this week. My thoughts on DVD programs tend to be scattered and disorganized, but I'll see if I can put what belongs with what together in some kind of recognizable review form.

Tags
donna eden, hot body cool mind, insomnia, intercostal muscle strain, lee holden, lee holden favorites, qi gong, qi gong for deep sleep, qi gong for more energy, qi healing kit