Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-10, 02:19 PM  
cpcathy

Anyone Have a Body Bar? And Actually Use it?

Not sure if anyone has this book, but I bought the Women's Health Big Book of Exercises, and in the equipment that you'll need section it has a body bar, weighted, not sure how heavy (I'm at work and don't have the book with me). Now, with all the equipment I already have, I'm wondering if I need this and how much I will use it? Do you use your weighted bar at all? (not for Cathe, please, I don't use Cathe videos at all).

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 02:24 PM  
michl43

I have a 9 & 12 lb body bar, and I even forgot i had them until I read your post. I used them a few times at first, & they have been in the closet since... it's a good workout tool though.
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 02:27 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Mine sit in the garage collecting dust. Occasionally someone will use one as a support but you can use a chair or wall for that.

Do you have a barbell bar, Cathy? You can use that. Mine weighs 12 lbs. More than likely you can just use dumbbells too. I'd try that first before buying. If you do want one, check out the knock-off brand at Sports Authority or wait for Body bar to have another free shipping offer.
Old 07-12-10, 02:28 PM  
enduranceron

I found one of those FIRM bars at Salvation Army about 6 months ago (for $2). The one with the screw on/off 3 lb ends. I guess it could be classified as some type of Body Bar......but I've never used it since I bought it. The most use it got was when I carried fom the car to the house.

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." - Thomas Carlyle

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Ghandi
enduranceron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 02:30 PM  
cpcathy

Good advice, Sarah-lara. I only have the bar that comes with my Mari Winsor Slim Pilates, it's 3 lbs total. Not a lot at all, but I'll try that and see if I like working with it.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 03:00 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

I have a 24 pound BB and I use it a fair amount.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 03:14 PM  
PeakFitness

I have a 9 and a 15# and use them a lot, but you can really substitute dumbbells for pretty much every exercise. Skull crushers are easier with a weighted bar, but even then it's not strictly necessary. I did all kinds of workouts with dumbbells before I bought any bars.
Old 07-12-10, 03:28 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

I have an 18# body bar.
I have the Firm purple bar and green bar that came with kits, one is 8# and one is 9#.
I have a body pump barbell and a Firm barbell.

I use them because I don't have to stop and change weight plates all the time, I keep the bar bells loaded at different weights, use the lighter Firm ones for shouldes (which are my achilles heel from swimming so I go very light on shoulders) and I don't have to change plates as often.
barb
Old 07-12-10, 03:53 PM  
Pascal

I have an 18# and 6# body bar.

I use the 18# body bar for Amy's All Pump Xtreme and the 6# body bar for Mindy's All Systems Go!, Mindy's All About Arms, and Mindy's and Kelly's BOSU/Body Bar workouts. I also use the 6# body bar for Michael Olajide Jr's Aero Jump/Sculpt.

And I use my body bar as a balance tool while doing stuff like standing glute work or calf work.
Old 07-12-10, 04:01 PM  
red1013

I have the 9 lb Firm one, and I have 12,15 and 18 lb bars. I use them pretty often. I have several Firms I use bars for, and Liesa Hart's Fit to the Core: Chisled.
red1013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all about arms, all systems go mindy, body bar, bodybar, equipment gathering dust, paper workouts, women's health