Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-10, 11:52 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Debbie's Walk, Sculpt and Tone is on my trade/SASE pile. Let me know if you're interested. While I don't have vertigo, I do have neck and shoulder problems, so I sympathize with the frustration, and will be glad to try to help you feel better!
Old 04-01-10, 11:55 AM  
TinaT

paideiamom ~ I'm not into the "mind" portion either. I know what I need to do already. I thought maybe if the physical workout portion itself was good it might be worth getting. There are too many other walking dvds out there to waste time on one that doesn't fit me. I'll probably pass on this one.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 12:06 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Tina, others might have more concrete info for you. That was just my bottom line when I researched it. I was looking for a "man" walk when I found it, just to see how different it would be. But in the end there was more negative for me personally than positive.

I do think you have a good variety set up already though. The great thing about most walking workouts is there is a ton of readily available reviews and even more spot opinions.

Good luck.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 04:58 PM  
horsemom2

Maybe I skimmed too quickly but here is some others:

Debra Mazda's
Gorge Foreman/Petra Kolber's
John Abdo
Heavyhands Walk Plus
there are other Pilates inspired walking workouts which are also similar to Nia (Winsor, Carol Argo, Smith's Peel Away the Pounds Pilates, etc.)

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 05:27 PM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09(b) View Post
I just saw a Mythbusters episode where they tested home remedies for motion sickness and eating some ginger was the only one that worked well on both the guys.
It honestly is amazing! I don't get motion sickness (knock wood), but had a period of time where I was diagnosed with Ménière's Disease and life made me dizzy... Ginger was my saviour
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 06:45 PM  
horsemom2

Tina,

Fitstix may help your neck and shoulders!
Mary/Totalfitness will be offering their workouts and stix in April.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 09:38 PM  
bfit

The Debra Mazda workouts include a walking one and a low impact aerobics one that is mostly walking. They are both simple but energetic. There is also an older Gilad workout called Gilad's Workout for Beginners. It has two workouts - a 30 minute one and a longer one. They both have mostly walking cardio plus some simple toning. For what it's worth, I think that Leslie Sansone's Men's Walk is kind of fun. It's Leslie-type moves without Leslie.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 07:00 AM  
Nelly G

Hi Tina,

I had from September till March severe virtigo problems but now I have only problems with turning my body in my sleep and nausea during the day.
I had also problems with my neck and shoulders which are better now.
So I understand how you feel!

The best thing for me for my nausea is an apple which is not bad.I did not try ginger so I will try this also.

I also bought walking dvds like you. The dvd I miss in this thread is Prevention Walk your way slim by Michelle Dozois which is very good.
I also bought a tai chi dvd Discover Tai Chi with Scott Cole: AM & PM Workouts because it seems to help with virtigo and I bought Viniyoga Therapy for the Upper Back, Neck and Shoulders *see Totalfitness.

I hope this helps you!!!I hope you are feeling better soon!
Kind regards, Nelly
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 07:51 AM  
dnna

The fitstix helped my shoulder, elbow and wrists a lot. I now use them everyday, I pick them up while doing lots of workouts for a little boost. I still think the Cardio dance dvd I got with my fitstix is very hard although low impact because she works the arms so much.
I wish I had the Kid's fitstix, I got the pro because I bought the QVC set.I think that would have been plenty for me.
Also, I started doing step on the floor and now have - oh, "several" workouts to do. Step on the floor is fun once you get used to it- at first I missed the fun of the step but now I really work the floor and it is fun.
Donna aka dnna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 11:53 PM  
Soapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
Yes, I am a broken record. Not only is my neck/shoulders flaring up, but my vertigo is back. I went 10 months without an episode until Monday. It's taken about 48 hours to get my strength back. DARN IT ALL TO HECK!!!

I am back to basics for workouts until further notice. Classical Stretch and whatever I come up with for walking. I failed the first time trying CS and walking combo b/c I didn't have a variety of walking to choose from... Only Leslie. (I have a select few barre routines I may try later). I have more CS that I care to admit.

Another dvd I found at total fitness is:
V Core: http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/V-CO...CHAL-p/208.htm This is not walking but for some reason made the list when I put in "walk" in the search. Anyone have an opinion on it?

Thanks for reviews and ideas for walking.
Following your posts, I am wondering if you are getting enough protein in your diet. People forget that amino acids are also used as neurotransmitters or precursors to neurotransmitters. Any inbalance can create a lot of problems. For me, it shows up in the form of a lovely blinding migraine. I can completely prevent them if I watch my intake. I feel like I broke the genetic curse. Consider adding a little extra protein and see if it helps.

For walking DVDs, I really can't stand Leslie and her workouts don't do much for me. At this point, I only own one for when my mother visits. I prefer basic to moderate step workouts done without the step. They are more cardio and less boring than Leslie. Some of Cathe's old ones are good for that.

As others said, the V workout is a balance workout and is quite challenging. It isn't the right workout if you are dealing with vertigo.
Soapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chris freytag, debbie rocker, kathy smith walking, madeleine lewis, prevention, walking workouts