Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-09, 06:05 AM  
cardio.junkie

"must have" books?

I am looking for a book for my DH on strength training. Does anyone have any recommendations on a book that covers it all? I'm hoping to get it off amazon so I can have it in time for Father's Day!

Please tell me what your best reads are! Thank you
cardio.junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 06:27 AM  
Kyra

Wow, I don't know where to start. Maybe NROL? Although I think everyone should have a copy of Ahnold's book on bodybuilding. Clarence Bass has put out some good books, as has Bill Pearl. Heck, Men's Health has put out some pretty good books. I could go on and on... I think what's right depends on whether he's a general conditioning guy or a real gym rat. There's a lot out there!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 06:30 AM  
MuscleGuy

I recommend "Huge In A Hurry" by Chad Waterbury and published by Men's Health. It's a good read, based on science but not too scientific itself.....a very hands-on book with good photos and various strength training programs to follow for various goals.

MuscleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 07:00 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Stuart McRobert's latest book, "Build Muscle, Lose Fat" has routine advice as well as technique instruction. I think his technique instruction is unsurpassed.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 07:28 AM  
AngC

My husband's very favorite books since they came out are still Brawn and Beyond Brawn by Stuart McRobert.

Karen, thank you for the link to the new McRobert's book - that will be hubby's Father's day present!

Be kinder than necessary,
For everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

You cannot get where you are going
...and stay where you are.
AngC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 07:29 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

I have bought several books and DVDs for my man and his favorite by far is Ian King's Book of Muscle (http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-Mu...5241493&sr=8-1). He enjoys the workouts and gets amazing results from them
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 07:45 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngC View Post
My husband's very favorite books since they came out 15 years back are still Brawn and Beyond Brawn by Stuat McRobert.
I love Beyond Brawn, too. But then you also need to get Insiders … for exercise technique.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 09:13 AM  
KathAL79

One advantage of The New Rules of Lifting is that you get a variety of plans plus a different approach to lifting (training movements and focusing on compound movements rather than focusing on body parts and isolating many muscles). I'm not sure I'd rely on this one for form / lifting technique (the Stuart McRobert, from what little I've seen, is far better), or for the science behind it all (someone has recently accused Alwyn, although Lou is technically the author, of plagiarizing some of the science parts, and one VFer caught a mistake copied from the original source to NRoL - oops).

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 10:25 AM  
cardio.junkie

Thank you everyone for responding! I'm off to research them all now
cardio.junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 11:07 AM  
sjajsa

I like the older "Complete Book Of" series from Kurt Brungardt. Looks like he has some newer stuff, too. But I still refer to my olders ones regularly.

Tags
acupressure, books, cosgrove, fitness books, lifting, mcrobert, paper workouts, yoga books