Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-08, 06:57 PM  
kem60

New DVD - Resistance Stretching (Dara Torres)

This looks very interesting.

http://www.innovativebodysolutions.c...orres-dvd.html
kem60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 09:55 PM  
runnermom

Did you read the NYT article linked from that page on Dara? All I can say is-Wow.
runnermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 06:39 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

It certainly does look interesting. Is she saying that you can build muscle and flexibility at the same time?
Old 07-06-08, 07:35 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

I find Dara Torres so impressive and inspiring - she already earned a spot in the 100 freestyle! That workout looks interesting. There is a 5-minute clip from the DVD in the NYT link and some of the exercises remind me of PNF and Classical Stretch yet they are pretty unique.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 07:40 AM  
sciencelady

I don't know anything more about Dana's video than what was given in the link, but it seems similar to Bob Cooley's methods for stretching http://www.meridianstretching.com/videos.html

Pavel's flexibility work also involves a lot of muscle contraction of the opposite muscle group to get you into stretches. I've read his Relax into Stretch book a few years ago and tried some of his techniques.

I haven't done these techniques consistently enough to see if I could get any improvements in my flexibility. I was paging through Bob Cooley's Genius of Flexibility book in the bookstore yesterday wondering if I should have another go at it.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 12:25 PM  
kem60

I ordered it

I'm a little older than her and obsessed with fitness too.
kem60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 12:34 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I have been looking at the Cooley book on Amazon for a long time, but haven't taken the plunge to purchase it. Now I will probably get the dvd and try to borrow the book from the library for additional information.
Old 07-06-08, 12:41 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencelady
I don't know anything more about Dana's video than what was given in the link, but it seems similar to Bob Cooley's methods for stretching http://www.meridianstretching.com/videos.html

Pavel's flexibility work also involves a lot of muscle contraction of the opposite muscle group to get you into stretches. I've read his Relax into Stretch book a few years ago and tried some of his techniques.

I haven't done these techniques consistently enough to see if I could get any improvements in my flexibility. I was paging through Bob Cooley's Genius of Flexibility book in the bookstore yesterday wondering if I should have another go at it.
The NYT article credits Cooley for Torres' stretching routine:

"Torres calls resistance stretching her “secret weapon.” Bob Cooley, who invented the discipline, describes it in less-modest terms. According to Cooley, over a two-week period in 1999, his flexibility system turned Torres “from being an alternate on the relay team to the fastest swimmer in America.” The secret to Torres’s speed, Cooley says, is that his technique not only makes her muscles more flexible but also increases their ability to shorten more completely, and when muscles shorten more completely, they produce greater power and speed. “What do race-car drivers do when they want to go faster?” Cooley asks. “They don’t spend more hours driving around the track. They increase the biomechanics of the car. And that’s what resistance flexibility is doing for Dara — increasing her biomechanics.”

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 06:33 PM  
TracyQ

Kem60
Quote:
I ordered it
I'm on the fence. Please post your thoughts once you've had a chance to try it.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 01:52 AM  
Nancy N.
VF Supporter

bumping; interested

Tags
active isolated stretch, bob cooley, dara torres, jim wharton, michele assaf