Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-08, 11:47 AM  
Libby

Yoga book with illustrations?

I am looking for a yoga book that has illustrations with beginner to advanced poses. I prefer to find one that doesn't include all the mystical/meditation stuff in it. I just want to learn the stretches/poses.

Any like that out there?

Thanks!
Libby
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 01:04 PM  
KathAL79

Mariam Austin's Cool Yoga Tricks might be worth looking into. She comes from a more Iyengar background, so there are lots of props and modifications, which can be helpful. She doesn't cover anywhere near the poses, but if you're looking for information on many of the major and most common asanas, this is a good one.

Judith Hanson Lassater's 30 Essential Yoga Poses has often caught my eye as another good option, as has Yoga Journal's Yoga Basics: The Essential Beginner's Guide to Yoga For a Lifetime of Health and Fitness.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 01:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

good suggestions by kath - i found those titles in our public library.

i have this book called Yoga Directory by Linda Doeser that is small, spiral bound, and has both sanskrit and english names. it's small enough that i can tuck it right in the little basket where i keep my yoga blocks, strap and other fitness toys.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 01:15 PM  
KathAL79

Jeannine, I just added that one to my wish list! I like the sounds of that!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 04:10 PM  
PhyllisG

The one I have kept all these years is Raquel Welch's. I have had others but none that I have liked as much as this one. Maybe still available on amazon?
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 04:19 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I have both the Yoga Deck (cards) and Baron's book Journey Into Power on my trade pile. Drop me a PM if you are interested!
Sarah-lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 04:29 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79
Mariam Austin's Cool Yoga Tricks might be worth looking into. She comes from a more Iyengar background, so there are lots of props and modifications, which can be helpful. She doesn't cover anywhere near the poses, but if you're looking for information on many of the major and most common asanas, this is a good one.

Judith Hanson Lassater's 30 Essential Yoga Poses has often caught my eye as another good option, as has Yoga Journal's Yoga Basics: The Essential Beginner's Guide to Yoga For a Lifetime of Health and Fitness.
The Austin and Lasater are the ones I would recommend -- such great insider information in simple format.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 05:19 PM  
annetteb

I forgot the title, but the author is Alice Christiansen.
Old 06-11-08, 08:23 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Does Moving Into Stillness have photos of asanas? If not, its a great book anyway!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 10:15 AM  
dmhammy

Any of Baron Baptiste's books are good as are Rodney Yees. Baron's Journey into Power has modifications shown for various poses. Its power Yoga though so lots of sun salutations and such. Iyengar's Light on Yoga is kind of the definitive book on pose alignment and such. I don't have that particular one though. I did get it from the library. Not the most exciting read; might be a cultural difference thing. He kind of comes off pompous even though I don't think that was his intention. I would suggest you get some from the library and the ones you really like you can purchase or mooch from book mooch or paperback swap.

My favorite book is Asanas: 608 yoga poses. No modifications but just pictures of him doing poses. When I'm bored with my practice it gives me inspiration. Sometimes I'll just open it up and do the poses I turn to (If I'm able to do that particular one that is ). I'll pick so many from various sections like inversions and forward bends.

I think Baron and Rodney are more accessible to most because the cultural differences aren't there. Plus they aren't to yoga fufuey or hippy dippy like say; Rainbeau Mars (she's like the hippy dippy leader's daughter or something ) I don't know about you but generally my butt doesn't blossom; at least not on purpose

Dawn

Yes I admit it, I'm addicted to fitness. I guess I need a 12 step program or maybe just 12 good steps to jog up and down on

2/260
dmhammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yoga books