Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-02, 02:35 PM  
cmhazlett

Question Adapting Workouts During Pregnancy

I'm currently 5 mos. pregnant & now that I've gotten over the morning sickness have decided to start working out again. Prior to pregnancy I was an intermediate in strength & a high beginner in Yoga & Pilates. Last week I tried the 2 pre-natal titles I currently own: Method Pre-Natal Yoga & Quick Fix Pre-Natal Workout. I found them way too easy. I wasn't tired at the end of them or even the slightest bit sore the next day. I'm now looking to modify some of my regular beginner tapes but am not quite sure how.

My dr says not to lie on my back and to avoid high-impact activities. Okay so ab work & jumping are out. What about the following moves:
(1) Push-ups if I don't go all the way down
(2) Downward-Facing Dog pose in yoga
(3) Bridge pose in yoga (that was actually in my pre-natal tape but I skipped it because it didn't feel safe to me)

Anything else I should avoid until after my baby is born?

Thanks,
Claire & baby due 10/12
cmhazlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-02, 04:43 PM  
stephb

I'm not pregnant again (yet) and am not planning on getting pregnant for a few more months yet. But I've been curious about this too. What about lifting weights ala Firm workouts? How is this while pregnant?
StephB
stephb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-02, 06:01 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

There is a Pregnancy Notebook here on VF. Specially, it has pages for modifications and specific modifications, courtesy of other VFers. That last page does answer many of these questions.

Maybe, if it's still being updated, you can add your own learning and experiences to the Notebook. Happy pregnancies!
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-02, 07:45 PM  
Heather Fraser

I had a baby in April, and I exercised throughout, with the blessing of my doctor and no ill effects. I started as a high beginner/low intermediate, so I found pregnancy cardio videos just about right. But I also modified other tapes, too, for variety.

I didn't need to modify anything until after five months, when abs work started feeling uncomfortable where the muscles were stretching out (that actually got better as the pregnancy grew more advanced). For a while I did crunches on a declined step, but then I switched to what I call pregnancy abs. Kneel on your hands and knees, and contract your abs belly button to backbone. Hold for a count of five or more, release, and repeat. Madeleine Lewis or Kathy Smith both have tapes that demonstrate the exercise.

About exercising on your back: I've heard the warnings about lying on your back while you're pregnant spoken so shrilly that I'm starting to wonder if it's really as much of a problem as all that (along the same lines as the advice that pregnant women in their delicate condition should avoid all vigourous exercise), and I know at least one obstetrician who agrees with me. This doctor says that if the baby is lying on your vena cava enough to block bloodflow to the baby, you will know it, because you'll pass out yourself. I exercised briefly on my back throughout the pregnancy, limiting myself to 4 minutes at a time, and baby and I were both just fine. I did hamstring bridges, bridge pose (from yoga), gentle crunches, and various stretches on my back. I did bridge pose four days before the baby was born without any problem.

I continued doing pushups until the end as well, but as I got further along and my abdominal strength grew more compromised, I started doing them starting on all fours and keeping my legs bent and buttocks high throughout, that took the strain off my abs (like they do them in Firm Basics). As I'm getting back my strength post partum, I've been stretching out further every week so I'm pretty much back to a straight body.

Pretty much all other strength work I continued with full weights right up to the end, but I eliminated all impact around six months. The one exercise that really didn't feel good was donkey kicks, which I didn't have the abdominal strength to stabilize.

Don't trade away your pregnancy vids just yet, though. I found I got more tired and more breathless the more pregnant I got. The easy videos might be just the thing at the end to get you off your couch when you just don't feel like exercising!
Old 06-20-02, 02:12 PM  
cmhazlett

Thanks so much!

A big THANK YOU to everyone who responded. Particular thanks to hch for posting the Pregnancy Notebook link.

Heather- I'd always slept on my back but lately everytime I roll onto it in the middle of the night it's so uncomfortable it wakes me right up. So I have no desire to work out in a supine position even if my dr hadn't told me to avoid it.

I did Firm Basics Sculpting with Weights the other day which was a good level for where I am right now. I practiced Kegels during the ab work & push-ups sections (next time I'll try the wall push-ups- great suggestion!)

Thanks!
Claire & baby due 10/12
cmhazlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-02, 02:56 PM  
MelissaPC

Smile Congratulations!

Hi Claire!
I just had a baby in March so I know what you're dealing with. As far as Yoga goes, I used PreNatal Yoga with Shiva Rea. It's not exactly power yoga but I liked it. There are three women in the video that demonstrate moves for each trimester.
I was never really sore after using it, but some of the moves can be challenging. I always felt better after using it.
Oh, and I agree - those prenatal videos that seemed to easy in the beginning were wonderful in that eighth month!
Congratulations again!
Melissa
MelissaPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-02, 04:06 PM  
Heather Fraser

Re: Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally posted by cmhazlett
Heather- I'd always slept on my back but lately everytime I roll onto it in the middle of the night it's so uncomfortable it wakes me right up. So I have no desire to work out in a supine position even if my dr hadn't told me to avoid it.
Then you're probably doing the right thing. I also got uncomfortable on my back for more than a few minutes at a time. I quoted the advice just to reassure women that they're not likely to do harm to their babies by being on their backs for a few minutes, and if there's a problem, they'll be able to tell; it's another version of learning to listen to our bodies.

Quote:
I did Firm Basics Sculpting with Weights the other day which was a good level for where I am right now. I practiced Kegels during the ab work & push-ups sections (next time I'll try the wall push-ups- great suggestion!)
I'm finding this tape a good one for post-partum recovery, too.

I found such an incredible difference in recovery and back pain when I kept my abs in shape that I'd suggest trying to work in some abs. Instead of just doing Kegels, get on your hands and knees and alternate Kegels with tightening the abs. It's simple and it works.

Tags
madeleine lewis