Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-07, 08:59 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pykkalo
I hope no one thinks that I was being critical of Mary Kay's weight, either. I said she is overweight, but so am I! It's not a critical or negative comment, it's an observation. ..
I noticed it, too, but more than her weight I noticed that the outfit she chose was less than flattering on her. Stephanie <?>, the woman in the back who lost 70 pounds is about the same size but she is wearing an outfit that really looks good on her. Mary Kay's choice was surprising to me in that it seems to emphasize everything. I kept wondering why someone didn't take her aside and suggest a different top. I bet the weight gain would have been less noticeable (if at all) had she taken more care in choosing her outfit. Maybe I noticed it more because I am self-conscious of my fat rolls.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 09:48 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams
Suze, I'm going to tell Alta that you're lusting after Alton!!
Good grief, how did I miss this thread???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzette
I'm pretty sure he's tied up in Alta's closet.
Heh heh!!!

Alton is da man!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 11:56 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

I haven't read all these posts yet but I was thinking 'hey I'm also heavier now that when I first did Leslie LOL so I have a lot in common with Mary Kay and I'm glad she's hung in there and is still doing it! :-)
Old 12-24-07, 07:59 PM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol_is_fit
Copied directly from the VF Guidelines:

Though VFers discuss every aspect of their videos and video instructors, we ask that posters stay away from criticism of a particular instructor's (or cast member's) physique or other qualities that have no bearing on the quality of the workout. Everyone has their own definition of physical beauty, and fit women and men come in all shapes and sizes. Such criticism undermines the inclusiveness of this Forum.

I find this discussion of a background exerciser's weight offensive, not to mention it's blatantly against the guidelines to critique someone's body. Am I missing something???? Someone please help me out here and explain why this is going on. Thanks.

Carol
I'm glad you reminded us of the guidelines, but I don't recall anyone bringing up the guideline violations when someone like Jari Love was bashed for being too skinny.

JMHO!
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-07, 06:43 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie w
I'm glad you reminded us of the guidelines, but I don't recall anyone bringing up the guideline violations when someone like Jari Love was bashed for being too skinny.

JMHO!
Well, someone can always start. Also, this post might've been buried in the Polls section, but someone did mention the guideline in connection with Jari Love a month ago.

As I said then, I really do appreciate this guideline and found it appealing when I read about what VF expected of us posters.

In fact, I extend it privately to the point of avoiding patronizing instructors, authors, and others who criticize the customer's physique or go along with people's self-criticism as if they were totally justified. (I don't believe that a private body self-criticism exists. Whenever I criticize some feature of myself, I criticize everyone else with the same feature.) I don't think that self-criticisms should be discouraged on VF in exactly the same way, but I freely encourage everyone to examine them critically instead of taking them as totally valid statements.

Besides, even if no one at all brought up this guideline for Jari Love, there's no need to neglect or ignore it for Mary Kay.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit

Last edited by hch; 12-26-07 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added quite a bit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 09:44 PM  
carol ruth

I have searched the internet to find out about Mary Kay for years. I just thought it would be enlightening to find out what happened to her. I even tried to reach her on facebook but she never answered. I lost 40lb but could never get the last 30 off. I am still doing leslie's workouts faithfully.
carol ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 10:05 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

My memory (and forgive me if it has been mentioned) is that MK is the choreo person. I could be wrong, though.

I love MK-led miles. I really wish she had her own workouts. I can't remember which one it is but I think Leslie has a 5 miler where MK leads but you can't hear her.

ETA: didn't notice just how old this thread is. I love it that somebody pulled it off the shelf.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 10:10 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Do they really need someone to choreograph a Leslie DVD. I think anyone can do that. Hope they don't pay to high for 4 moves.

I had one in which she did mile 3 for some reason that sticks to me. maybe it's not 3 maybe it's 2 but in the one I remember she did do the counting and the whole mile. Then Leslie takes over an says, *isn't she wonderful?? ?That's Mary Kay everybody.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 10:47 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
Do they really need someone to choreograph a Leslie DVD. I think anyone can do that. Hope they don't pay to high for 4 moves.
There is a really old 2-mile walk - on a newer DVD compilation called Deluxe Walk or something like that - which is much more complex choreography than Leslie's contemporary videos. I have seen VFers recommended it for that reason as Leslie's most interesting (or, if you're a cup-half-empty person - least boring) workout. On the credits it lists Mary Kay as the choreographer. I don't think she choreographs the newer workouts which, as you point out, don't really seem all that choreographed.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 10:57 PM  
juberann

I'm with Carol here

Tags
leslie sansone, mary kay bruening, the big burn, watp