Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-07, 09:48 PM  
Bebop

Any good Guided meditation CD's

Yogis'-I'm looking for guided mediation audio CD's. I don't wand DVD's - I want to be able to listen in bed with my headphones or in a restorative pose in my exercise room with my eyes closed.

Any good suggestions and where can I order them?

Thanks.

Last edited by Bebop; 11-29-07 at 01:54 PM. Reason: title change
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 10:01 PM  
Orlita

I love Salle Merrill Redfield. (She's the wife of the "Celestine Prophesy" writer) Her voice is lovely, and she does great guided visualizations (on a beach, in the woods, that kind of thing). I have all 3 on the top of the page here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ield&x=15&y=22
At times when I was a die-hard insomniac, she could knock me out cold.

I also like Andrew Weil's breath stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ions&x=23&y=21
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 10:08 PM  
Yogadad

Hi,

As mentioned above, Andrew Weil has a Breathing program which has some simple pranayama techniques which I use all the time (I have the exercises memorized and these day do them mostly w/o the program, often when I wake up in the morning to get myself centered and energized) called "Breath, The Master Key To Healing".

Also, he and Jon Kabot-Zinn have a meditation CD called "Meditation For Optimum Health".

Also, John Kabot-Zinn has some Tapes you can order (they probably have them on CD these days) which I ordered via info on the back of the book "Full Catastrophe Living" which are the programs he used for the "Stress Reduction Clinic" he founded at the University of Mass Medical Center.

Then, Stephen Cope has a Two CD set, the second of which is guided meditations called "Yoga For Emotional Flow". If you've ever read "Yoga and The Quest For The True Self" he talks about the "Breathe, Relax, Feel, Watch, Allow" meditation which he does on the CD.

Plum Village Meditations by Thich Nhat Hanh is a nice one. There is a guided meditation as well as a guided body scan led by one of the nuns at Plum Village and then there's also a Bell Meditation which is basically just the chiming of the bell. Thich Nhat Hanh explains about it first.

On the Yoga Bootcamp Box, there's a guided meditation on one of the CD's.

Those are some off the top of my head but I'm sure there's more not coming into my tired brain about now

I hope those are some helpful suggestions.

I'd check out your local library because you might find some there that you can try out beforehand.

Best,

Scott
Yogadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 11:52 PM  
jhardy

Bebop--Thanks of posting this. I was just looking on Amazon and iTunes to find a good guided meditation. There are so many and it can be a bit confusing. I did do the 10 minute meditation from iTrain, but it was while my boys were playing around me so I didn't get a good idea of its effectiveness .

Thanks Orlita and Yogadad for your recommendation, I will have to look into them and I look forward to hearing some more suggestions.

I am especially looking for short meditations (5-15 min.) that I can use at work (when I need to calm myself in between deescalating physically aggressive students) and before going to bed.

Jen
jhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 01:22 AM  
junadelam

I found some nice meditations through iTunes. I haven't been crazy about the medications I had on CD (Drops of Nectar).

The selection of free podcasts available at iTunes is uneven, but I remember that Wynyfryd's weren't so bad. I used those last year before bed and they helped a lot. I remember using some of Stin's on the subway.

I haven't done any of these in a long time so I can't remember favorites. You might want to poke around iTunes a bit while you're deciding on CDs.

I think you can find reviews of meditation c.d.s on the reviews page.

There was a great thread posted about this a year or so ago.
junadelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 05:50 AM  
stacy4ft9

You should check out www.brainsync.com. Awesome guided and some non guided meditations meant to be used with headphones by Kelly Howell. I highly recommend them!
stacy4ft9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 07:07 AM  
sherry7899

I really like Gael Chiarella's cds. You can find then on amazon, and they have sound samples available. She has a very soothing voice. Most of her cds have four different meditations which are fifteen minutes each.

They are also sold in Barnes and Noble and Borders. At Barnes and Noble you can listen to parts of tracks at the store.

Hope that helps-
Sherry
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 12:26 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Bodhipaksa's guided meditation CDs are terrific:

Guided meditations for calmness, awareness, and love

Guided meditations for stress reduction

They are available on Amazon.

Bodhipaksa has a beautiful voice with a soft Scottish accent.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 12:48 PM  
charleyandbecky

I try to use a guided meditation cd as often as possible. My all time favorite is Gail Chiarella's PM Meditations.
I actually love Yoga Nidra from Drops of Nectar, although I know some people don't like it.
I personally don't care for the dvds either...I want to be able to be in the bed under covers sometimes when I do a meditation cd!
charleyandbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 01:25 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Meditation is different than guided relaxation and pranayama, but I think relaxation and pranayama are good gateways to meditation. Accordingly, I mush together the following recommendations:

Aadil Pakhivalda's savasana cd
http://www.aadilpalkhivala.com/educatio.htm

Richard Freeman's Yoga Breathing
http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Breathing...6360401&sr=8-4

Experience Yoga Nidra has your full "bells and whistles" and was a favorite here a few years back. Watch out for the flying cows!
http://www.amazon.com/Experience-Yog...6360168&sr=8-1

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meditation cd, parayoga.com, rod stryker, yoga audios, yoga nidra