Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-06, 01:15 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith L

Active Isolated Stretching (AIS) or The Wharton Method or Aaron Matte Method is supposed to be performed before one engages in one's sport or activity and "can safely be included as part of a warm-up" as Liz Neoporant or Susan Schlosberg states in 'Weight Training for Dummies'. She says that the rule about never stretching a cold muscle does not apply to AIS. As the Whartons explain in the dvd each stretch is to be held for only one or two seconds on an exhale for eight to ten repetitions.
It did leave me feeling good and has helped my momentum in working out for the last two days. Brings back memories of dance class as a kid.

Several of the exercises are done with a rope, about 8 feet I think.

Susan G.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 01:46 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G.
It did leave me feeling good and has helped my momentum in working out for the last two days. ....Several of the exercises are done with a rope, about 8 feet I think.
Susan, I'm happy to hear that it's left you feeling good. You might also look into some dynamic stretches such as leg swings and leg raises to include in your warm-ups.

One could probably manage with a long yoga strap but a round rope would seem to work better with these exercises. The Wharton website sells a black 9' (3/4" diameter) nylon rope (http://whartonperformance.com/Mercha...egory_Code=WSR) and the Aaron Mattes website sells an 8' one in either white or blue ( http://www.stretchingusa.com/searchR...gory=Equipment).
Old 06-29-06, 04:03 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith L
Susan, I'm happy to hear that it's left you feeling good. You might also look into some dynamic stretches such as leg swings and leg raises to include in your warm-ups.

One could probably manage with a long yoga strap but a round rope would seem to work better with these exercises. The Wharton website sells a black 9' (3/4" diameter) nylon rope (http://whartonperformance.com/Mercha...egory_Code=WSR) and the Aaron Mattes website sells an 8' one in either white or blue ( http://www.stretchingusa.com/searchR...gory=Equipment).

I actually purchased the rope from the stretchingusa site and they had speedy responsive customer service.

Susan G.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 11:03 AM  
ElizaEc
VF Supporter

I found the Active isolated flexibility and stretching for dancers to be by far the best stretching tape I have ever seen. It is excellent in my opinion!
ElizaEc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 12:02 PM  
Calistro

Oh dear!,

I will have to consider this one after all, the more stretching the merrier.

Calistro
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-06, 09:42 AM  
ooty

Sorry, I have not read all the posts. But I also netflixed the DVD and did 30 minutes of it. Of course, I am no were as flexible as the instructor, but from what I have done so far ( I had to stop at 30 minutes because I was not doing it right and wanted to preview it again and just have not found the time).

I am pretty certain that with regular use this will help me tremendously. It is a matter of having discipline and doing it regularly.

Tags
active isolated stretch, broadway workouts, jim wharton