Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box

Old 09-11-21, 10:00 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Thanks for everyone's replies! I've noticed that some slow cookers have a lid with a rubber gasket and I wonder how long it would last. Is it replaceable?

Also, if any of you have a slow cooker that is digital, do you think the features are worth it?

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-21, 10:33 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan H View Post
Thanks for everyone's replies! I've noticed that some slow cookers have a lid with a rubber gasket and I wonder how long it would last. Is it replaceable?
I have a rubber gasket and have never had a problem with it - my slow cooker is pretty old. I don't know if it's replaceable, though.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-21, 12:54 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Also, if any of you have a slow cooker that is digital, do you think the features are worth it?
When DH and I both were working full time and we never knew when we would be getting home, I liked having the timer on my 6 quart crockpot. Once it reached the end of the cooking time, it switched from cooking mode to "keep warm" mode and I worried less about things overcooking. Now that we are home most of the time, I don't really need or use it, so it depends on your circumstances.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-21, 01:24 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Also, the rubber lining takes on a weird odor
Quote:
I've noticed that some slow cookers have a lid with a rubber gasket and I wonder how long it would last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I have a rubber gasket and have never had a problem with it - my slow cooker is pretty old. I don't know if it's replaceable, though.
mine has a "rubber" gasket, and it seems odor-free and it has lasted a long time. it's permanently attached to the lid. it's washable and stays clean. it must be pretty heavy duty because the stone container (removable from the cooker) gets pretty hot. i'm guessing the "rubber" gasket is made of silicone, which as you know, is strong enough to be used in making bake ware.

the "container" where the food cooks is made of pure ceramic and can be removed from the cooker to be cleaned. i clean the cooker by doing a surface wipe, because it's not immersible into water.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-21, 09:49 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Thanks for everyone's input! I decided to get a basic 6 quart Black & Decker slow cooker. For my needs, it should be just fine.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-21, 06:33 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Enjoy trying different recipes with it!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crockpot, slow cooker