Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-19, 12:20 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Tips for paper yoga routines?

One of my goals for this year is to ease back into a regular yoga practice and am about to finish Adriene's Dedicate program. The routines that sound most interesting to do next I found in books and magazines (Jessamyn Stanley, Kathryn Budig). Doing a weights workout from a book is pretty straightforward, but trying to follow a vinyasa on paper seems awkward, especially with form and breath pointers. Does anyone have suggestions? I was considering even recording myself talking through it.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 01:30 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
One of my goals for this year is to ease back into a regular yoga practice and am about to finish Adriene's Dedicate program. The routines that sound most interesting to do next I found in books and magazines (Jessamyn Stanley, Kathryn Budig). Doing a weights workout from a book is pretty straightforward, but trying to follow a vinyasa on paper seems awkward, especially with form and breath pointers. Does anyone have suggestions? I was considering even recording myself talking through it.
I know what you mean about taping yourself - I did that once and when I taped it, I had to keep myself from laughing. when I was using the tape, I sounded like a dork!

I own these 2 yoga books, 1st one I got from Ross stores for about $5 and the second was at the library sale. Both books have picture routines/practices that make it easy to look at the picture while you're doing it. Yoga directory has many different poses from beginner to advanced.

The Yoga Directory (spiral binding, making it easy to lay flat):
https://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Director...ustomerReviews

101 Essential Yoga Tips
https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Siv...ing+kindersley

I keep both books under my bed.

I have the PIlates Directory too - also from Ross's.
https://www.amazon.com/Pilates-Direc...ates+directory

check your library for these and similar books to see what might work for you. I find it easier to follow yoga from a book vs. doing a weight workout from a book for some reason.

with weight routines on paper, I write out the move and the reps on a list and can do it easier that way rather than straight from the book. good luck - let us know what you find.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 01:45 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Yoga Journal has routines in every issue. Some of them have accompanying tutorials on the website, that might help.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 01:57 PM  
BunnyHop

Maybe you could make yourself a single sheet with stick figure reminders of what comes next?

I think A Morning Cup of Yoga does that, but I don't see why you couldn't just make one of your own if you're feeling crafty enough to manage it. Copy, cut and paste would work too.

If you like your creations well enough, put them in sheet protectors or laminate them for durability.

(I laminated a few cross stitch patterns to protect them and find it very handy. It added a bit of heft to the pages so they're easier to manage. If I had a huge number of pattern pages I think I might get them spiral bound at the office supply place just to keep them all together.)
Old 02-09-19, 10:41 AM  
killoffsonny

I just ordered the Yoga Directory from Thrift Books. I haven't done yoga in a couple of months. Can't find a dvd that I like and its way too overwhelming on youtube. Maybe this will help. I remember when I started out taking yoga classes at a yoga studio the instructors would give us paper workouts of all we learned in class for that week. I probably threw them out. I could kick myself now.
Old 02-09-19, 11:39 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions! I think one of the attractions of doing a non-video or audio practice for now is that I can hold positions as long as I want to without feeling like I'm being hurried along just when I've settled in or am still trying to "find the edge" as instructors love to say, and I don't have to come out of it to look for the remote.

Going to try the stick figure/collage idea, maybe on a white board.

Old 02-09-19, 05:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
I just ordered the Yoga Directory from Thrift Books. I haven't done yoga in a couple of months. Can't find a dvd that I like and its way too overwhelming on youtube. Maybe this will help. I remember when I started out taking yoga classes at a yoga studio the instructors would give us paper workouts of all we learned in class for that week. I probably threw them out. I could kick myself now.
glad to enable. i turned on another VFer (KathAL79) to that book.

some people have also used the Yoga Deck - i see that from time to time in the thrift store/book sales.

i have a few yoga CDs that i have downloaded to my MP3 player - i love yoga audios! they're kind of hard to identify because sellers lump them with CDs that have yoga "music" which is just music without someone guiding you.

Yoga audios that i own:
AM PM Yoga with Rodney Yee and Patricia Walden
Breathe In, Bliss Out by Jill Miller
Release Back Pain by Michael Gach (he uses stretching moves)

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 06:16 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
some people have also used the Yoga Deck - i see that from time to time in the thrift store/book sales.

i have a few yoga CDs that i have downloaded to my MP3 player - i love yoga audios! they're kind of hard to identify because sellers lump them with CDs that have yoga "music" which is just music without someone guiding you.
The cards and audio programs in Baron's Boot Camp Box are great. I especially love the 20 minute Hip Sequence--probably the only routine in which I've ever encountered Frog pose. I also have Eoin's old free download on a CD somewhere. Will have to pull out these guys when I'm feeling less cranky about full sun sals

Old 02-10-19, 02:40 PM  
killoffsonny

I used to have the Yoga Deck and I believe Pilates Deck or something close to the yoga deck. I no longer have them..............

Tags
yoga audios, yoga books, yoga paper routines