Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-15, 08:44 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post

As for yoga, I'm seeing a therapist right now who told me that the overwhelming number of injuries she sees in patients are from yoga. Not that she thinks yoga is inherently dangerous, but that instructors either encourage (or don't dissuade) practitioners from getting into positions for which they are either unready or not anatomically designed to get into. She said based on people's individual anatomy, some positions are just not possible (safely) for some people. But since yoga instructors tend to be 'good' at yoga (as in, they can get into the majority of poses) they teach to that and some people just can't do it.
I learned this the hard way. My sister, who has a shorter torso than I and slightly longer legs than I, simply thrives on yoga. My body is not made for yoga, at all.

Back to the OP: I, too, was surprised when I first got DOMS from CS. Now, Like Jackie, I look forward to the hard work CS is.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 09:46 AM  
Janine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I always get stiff doing new and different programs.

As far as Classical Stretch, the name is so deceptive. I remember my first purchase many moons ago thinking I was buying a really nice stretch to address my back pain. I didn't intend to work that hard, and was really surprised.

I love my CS/Essentrics!
Thats exactly right Jackie! I had no idea I'd be working that hard. This is real ACTIVE stretching. I love it! Do you do other cardio along with it?
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 02:14 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I learned this the hard way. My sister, who has a shorter torso than I and slightly longer legs than I, simply thrives on yoga. My body is not made for yoga, at all.
Body type is such an important consideration re exercise! Teresa Tapp is the only instructor I know of who addresses it in her workouts. In her Basic Workout, for example, she says something like, "Short torsos will only be able to bend down this far, because bone will touch bone." I wish yoga instructors were equally anatomy-conscious.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 02:50 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
Thats exactly right Jackie! I had no idea I'd be working that hard. This is real ACTIVE stretching. I love it! Do you do other cardio along with it?
If I really engage and work to the end of my limits, I can work up a sweat with some of the more intense workouts. I do walk just about every day and do Ellen Barrett occasionally for variety.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 02:57 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
I wish yoga instructors were equally anatomy-conscious.
marya, I think it's like anything else--some are great at this, but others, unfortunately, not so much. Have you ever tried Viniyoga? It's a school of yoga designed to be therapeutic and adapt to the individual. Some teachers known for this style are Gary Krafstow (unfortunately his DVDs were a bit boring) and Leslie Kaminoff. There is also a YouTube channel, Yoga with Olga, that offers some wonderful practices and information: https://www.youtube.com/user/sequencewizvideo

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 05:50 PM  
Psyche
VF Supporter

Classical stretch and Essentrics are programs that use moves to increase strength and flexibility simultaneously. That's where the soreness comes in

Love these so much that I am taking the Level one instructor training (hoping to mail in my materials within two to three weeks - only 4 more apprentice classes to go!)
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 07:19 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
Classical stretch and Essentrics are programs that use moves to increase strength and flexibility simultaneously. That's where the soreness comes in

Love these so much that I am taking the Level one instructor training (hoping to mail in my materials within two to three weeks - only 4 more apprentice classes to go!)
Yay! Happy for you! I just bit the bullet and bought Level 1, also! I've been doing this program for at least 10 years. Kind of pumped to see where things take me.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-15, 12:58 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
marya, I think it's like anything else--some are great at this, but others, unfortunately, not so much. Have you ever tried Viniyoga? It's a school of yoga designed to be therapeutic and adapt to the individual. Some teachers known for this style are Gary Krafstow (unfortunately his DVDs were a bit boring) and Leslie Kaminoff. There is also a YouTube channel, Yoga with Olga, that offers some wonderful practices and information: https://www.youtube.com/user/sequencewizvideo
I do have two Gary Krafstow DVDs but--he literally put me to sleep. I'll have to try them again sometime when I'm feeling high octane. Not familiar with Leslie Kaminoof and Yoga with Olga. Thank you--I'll check them out! I have one other Viniyoga workout, Strong Bones Yoga, that's one of my faves. Initially it seemed too easy, but after I did it, I really felt worked out. The slow pace was surprisingly strengthening.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-15, 01:37 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

marya, sounds like viniyoga might click with you if you find the right instructor!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, doms, rodney yee, stretching, suzanne deason