Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-13, 08:36 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
The first one is Seven Minutes for Health, one of the segments on the AM/PM DVD. The second one appears to be an exact duplicate. That DVD actually has five short programs: AM, AM Extended (about 15 minutes); PM, PM Extended, and the 7 Minutes for Health.
Thank you for the info. Do you have this workout? If so, would you consider the PM to be very relaxing? Are there any video clips of the PM section online?

I am trying to find something as relaxing as Barbara Benagh's PM and Stress routines.

TIA

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-13, 09:26 PM  
sherry7899

Diana, there's a really short clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VMwietyqlWw

The pm clip is about halfway through.

Scroll down this page for a description of the PM routine:

http://www.exercisetoheal.com/Qi+Gon...Routines+.html

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 02:28 PM  
videofit

Probably anything by Stephen Halpern. His music is scientifically geared to work with brainwaves (or something like that!). I had an audio cassette of Spectrum Suite that I used to play before I fell asleep. I've been thinking I could probably find it or another of his compositions for pennies as a CD on amazon. This thread just reminded me of that. I've been having trouble falling asleep lately.
Old 07-20-13, 07:12 PM  
Diana3271

Sherry Thank you for posting those clips. I don't think that's what I'm looking for for an evening practice.

Videofit I'll google Stephen Halpern to look at his work.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 09:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

see my post in this VF thread regarding meditation (i discuss both DVDs and CDs).

i did a month-long check-in for meditation and it really helped me be consistent and to also be able to get into a meditative state "on demand". just 5 minutes can be a very challenging commitment, but you'd be surprised at how much 5 minutes can accomplish. try quieting your mind for 5 minutes!!!! i learned so much from my check-in buddies too.

the key is focusing on your breath and breathing. i attended 2 seminars (same instructor, but 2 different seminars) that our company provided to the employees, and that was really good, to have someone lead you through the process. one of the practices the instructor did was hand everyone a Hershey's miniature chocolate (the room was standing room only, with >100 people in there!), and we had to break that tiny bar into 3 pieces. when we had 1/3 of the bar in our mouths, we were instructed to not chew it, and he guided us through a meditation exercise with the piece in our mouths. he did 2 more segments with the other 1/3's.

it was a great exercise in focusing on your breathing, quieting the mind, and being relaxed.

the book "meditation for dummies" is excellent, as is "self hypnosis for dummies". both come with a CD.

i also really enjoy and appreciate Jack Kornfield's series. i read the reviews on amazon, and after listening to the CD, i totally agree with the reviews. Kornfield has a very soothing voice, and really teaches you how to observe yourself w/o getting "sucked in" to the your self-inflicted distractions. when you're trying to meditate, it is so amazing at how much we inflict on ourselves internally.

our public library had a lot of meditation CDs, both guided and unguided, w/ and w/o instrumental music.

good luck. what really helped me was switching jobs within the company. that may or may not be an option for your DH. i didn't get a transfer right away, but in the meantime, i had to work on myself and my mind.

in the end, my lower blood pressure (drug free all this time) is a testament that meditation works.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 10:27 PM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
I tried a few meditation DVDs, but like to close my eyes. I usually do meditation in bed before going to sleep.

I started a list of FREE downloadable meditation and guided relaxation MP3s:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=193291

As for CDs, I really like Diana Lang, Belleruth Naperstak and Roberta Shapiro.
Thanks so much!
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-13, 08:12 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMarie65 View Post
Thanks so much!
You're welcome!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-13, 08:58 AM  
muffins135

Does anyone know the correct spelling of this instructor: Mimi solaire? I have been looking for her DVD but having her name correct and the name of the DVD would be helpful
muffins135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-13, 10:35 AM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffins135 View Post
Does anyone know the correct spelling of this instructor: Mimi solaire? I have been looking for her DVD but having her name correct and the name of the DVD would be helpful
You have it spelled correctly. Here she is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link...3Amimi+solaire

She has more than one DVD, as you can see at Amazon. I looked for her at Total Fitness but Mary must not carry her anymore.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-13, 11:46 AM  
muffins135

That is it!! Thank you so much
muffins135 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guided imagery, meditation, relaxation, yoga nidra