Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-12, 09:33 AM  
isebelleg44

Suspension Trainers

I finally caved and purchased Tracey Staehle's two metabolic workouts from Mary. I know substitutes are shown for the suspension portion, but I started reading about suspension training on VF and now I am really curious.

I was looking at this one, because it sounds I could just hook onto my pull up bar.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Freestyl.../dp/B003ATMZ4M

I am on the hunt for more efficient exercises that work your body in different ways. I love kettlebells because of this and this sounds like a great fitness tool to add to my fitness arsenal. I just don't want to invest a lot of money, just in case I don't like it. Is it worth it to get a cheaper trainer? Thanks!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 10:06 AM  
sciencelady

I love suspension training . I bought a TRX years ago and have been using it ever since, but before I had bought the TRX, I just securely tied two yoga straps to a bar and used the belted ends for a loop for my hands/feet. Gave me enough of a feel for the exercises to invest in the real thing.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 12:15 PM  
Inchworm

I would love to get something like that! I feel that I do a lot of planks and pushups, but I would love to be able to balance it with some weighted rows via suspension training. I wonder if those would work on my pull-up bar that isn't permanently mounted.

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 04:25 PM  
loulou

I bought the original Elite Freestyle trainer on Ebay after I started TRX classes. The one I purchased came with an instructional dvd that is pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elite-Freest...item1c0f59ddab

The one you are looking at with the metal attachments on the foot/hand straps looks nice. It is also on Ebay, sold by the same company. It is $20.00 less without the dvd and carry case. I am pretty sure I didn't pay that much for it, but it was over a year ago. I attach mine to my pull up bar and I really like it. For the price it works well. The lengthing clip isn't as simple as the TRX. You have two straps which are not connected. It takes a little more time to make sure they are even. My pull up bar isn't permanently mounted.

Actually, if you look further down on the description of the one I posted, it shows the foot strap with the metal attachment. Different from the listing photo. There is also contact information for the distibutor.
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 04:42 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I have a Jungle Gym with foot straps. It was not very expensive. I really like suspension training too.
Old 11-25-12, 08:28 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Is one trainer better then another?
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 09:23 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedygs View Post
Is one trainer better then another?
Hedy, weren't you thinking of buying Rip60? The Rip60 does let you move each side of the strap individually so that one side is longer than the other and then you switch back. You can't do that with other trainers. Also if you buy the set, you get the DVDs too.

I only tried the JG and it's really cheap. But I can do everything that the TRX can do so I'm happy enough with it. The important thing is to get one with foot straps so that you can do suspended planks, etc. I think all of them have handles to do upper body moves. I bought the Rip60 DVDs from a Ya-Ya. I can't do all the moves in the DVDs (there's only a few I can't). These are the moves where you can move the straps like how I described above. So I just sub moves for those exercises.
Old 11-26-12, 07:26 AM  
beatchica

For the past 7 years I have used and tried numerous suspension trainers. I own a Rip:60 and a TRX.

The Rip:60 is an amazing trainer, as the ability to add rotation to your movements makes the exercises so much more functional.

The TRX is great as it is sturdy and light weight and can be packed and carried very easily. It is an extremely solid and comfortable trainer.

This is my top 5 "look for" items when considering a suspension trainer.
I also make sure that the company I buy from has excellent customer support, which the Rip:60 and the TRX both do.

- Solid, non-slip buckles, that can be quickly adjusted to different lengths
- Sturdy construction
- Comfortable hand and foot straps
- Over the door anchor /optional anchor methods (wrap around a pole, branch etc)
- Decent equipment warranty (at least one year)
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rip:60, suspension trainer, tracey staehle, trx