Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-03, 06:52 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Stretching workouts using "AI Streching" technique?

I've been noticing more and more articles on AI Stretching (AI stands for active-isolated), but I need to see it to understand what it really is.

Here are some articles:

Active Isolated Stretching…The Next Generation of Flexibility Training

A-I Stretching

http://www.betterbodz.com/Tom/stretc...echniques.html

This form of stretching is also showing up as classes in gyms and in dance studios...

GymRatt
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-03, 07:15 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Linda's Sports Stretching

Linda Shelton's video uses this principal. She uses a stretching rope and goes through different exercises. The video is an hour but it can be divided up into three sections. You hold a stretch for two seconds and then release. You repeat the same stretch about six to eight times (not quite sure how many times). At the same time, you contract the opposing muscle (the muscle that is the opposite from the one you are trying to stretch).

Helen
Helen S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-03, 08:14 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Cool, thanks!

GR
Old 01-07-03, 08:59 AM  
ScooterChick
Registered

I wrote a review for a tape, even though I ended up not using it a whole lot. It was done by the Wharton Father-Son team, I think. Check under the new reviews. It had really bad production values, but it gave you a good stretch.

There is an AI class at my gym, & I've enjoyed it. The principle is to not hold a stretch beyond the point of your "stretch reflex," but to keep going in and out of the stretch. It also works different parts of your hamstrings, quads, etc. in interesting ways. I also feel it can be less "competitive" than other stretch/yoga classes, where the implicit "goal" it to reach a certain point in the move.
ScooterChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-03, 01:02 PM  
CJ 5

Interesting because in all of my physiology classes I was taught that the best muscle elongation happens when holding a stretch 30 seconds when the muscle is warmed up
CJ 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-03, 12:15 PM  
Katie W
VF Supporter

Active Isolated Stretching

It sure works for me. The first time I did Linda Shelton's video, I was thinking, this can't really work...but afterwards, I felt completely stretched and relaxed. I got it at homeworkout.com.
By the way, you don't really need the special stretch rope,
a skipping rope works just fine.

Aaron Mattes originated the method, and the Wharton's were students of his. Their video is not as good, IMHO.

Then I bought Mattes' book--Specific Stretching for Everyone, released Nov 2000. There is also a video, but it was made in 1998, and is not as updated as his book. (According to Judy Mattes) The Mattes website is www.stretchingusa.com.

The book was $15 & 4 for shipping, and is excellent. Its spiral-bound, and has detailed color pictures, and descriptions for all stretches, and there are lots of them. The main chapters are:
Shoulder, Elbow- Wrist- Finger-Thumb, Neck, Hip/Knee (which includes hamstrings, psoas, piriformis), Back/Trunk, Ankle/Foot.
Katie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-03, 12:20 PM  
Katie W
VF Supporter

Link doesn't work?

I just tried the link, and it didn't seem to work, but the URL is

http://www.stretchingusa.com/

There are also sample pages of the book now.
Katie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-03, 09:56 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

So I did my reading and starting this type of stretching...I actually amazed at how much 'deeper' I'm able to stretch using this method.

It forces me to really focus on the muscle being stretched, and by the time I'm on the 4th or 5th 'rep', the muscle really 'relaxes' and allows me to stretch deeply.

Again, I'm really astounded by this, and don't understand why it isn't a more popular method (or at least mentioned more often.)

Anyone have any ideas?

GymRatt.

Tags
active isolated stretch, jim wharton, linda shelton