Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-23, 07:49 AM  
Bearybuff

Fitness Watch Recommendations

Hi,

My beloved Versa 2 died and I need a replacement. I looked on the Costco site and they have Versa 2 listed for online purchase only. The reviews are horrible! Apple watches offer more health info, but I thought I read something about having to pay for an app to get the info. The fall or accident protection would be useful, though. Not getting any younger. So, what do you use and like without having to pay extra. Thanks.

Helen
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-23, 02:02 PM  
gladgirl

Interested in this, too. Have a Polar Unite, basic fitness watch. Donít like it as much as my older Polar models. Had an Apple Watch, loved it at first and then not so much. When it died, and it died, didnít want another. Really not sure now, so interested in what others use and love!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-23, 09:38 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I have a Luxe (Fitbit) and I love the styling, but it will not stay connected to my phone, so I generally don't get notifications of texts and phone calls like I should. Drives me crazy. Thinking I need to make a change, but I don't know to what.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-23, 11:44 AM  
Jeanne

I have a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 I am happy with. They are up to Watch 6 this year. It is a complete smartwatch, not just fitness. It does not work with Apple, android phones only and best with a Samsung phone.
Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-23, 12:35 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post
Interested in this, too. Have a Polar Unite, basic fitness watch. Donít like it as much as my older Polar models. Had an Apple Watch, loved it at first and then not so much. When it died, and it died, didnít want another. Really not sure now, so interested in what others use and love!
My first Polar the watch was still working after two years, but the band disintegrated and they did not sell any replacement bands. I did buy a newer Polar and the charger broke! I found one on Amazon that is not a Polar brand for $10 and it works fine. The Polar brand one is $30 for the charger! When I bought the watch, I bought extra knock off bands on Amazon just in case.

I don't like that it has to be charged on a computer and the charger is plastic that could break easily.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-23, 12:44 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearybuff View Post
Hi,

My beloved Versa 2 died and I need a replacement. I looked on the Costco site and they have Versa 2 listed for online purchase only. The reviews are horrible! Apple watches offer more health info, but I thought I read something about having to pay for an app to get the info. The fall or accident protection would be useful, though. Not getting any younger. So, what do you use and like without having to pay extra. Thanks.

Helen
Love my Apple Watch! Iím not sure what youíre talking about for paying for health information. There are apps you can download, etc. but my watch gives me everything I need. Also it picked up, I had Covid before I even knew it. My respiratory rate and oxygen levels were slightly off the norm. And I also knew my thyroid medication needed adjustment based on my resting heart rate while sleeping. It really has motivated me to move more since it keeps track of everything. Any other questions, please let me know.

Health data from iPhone
iPhone automatically stores and analyzes valuable health data, including the following:
Steps, flights of stairs, and other walking data: Built-in sensors on your iPhone capture the number of steps you take, the number of flights of stairs you climb, your walking speed, and more. You can browse highlights, trends, and details about this data in the Activity category in Health.
The Steps screen showing a weekly average for several weeks.
Mobility data: iPhone stores important mobility metrics such as walking asymmetry, double support time, and more. Over time, as you walk with iPhone in your pocket or wear it near your waist, these metrics are used to calculate and record your walking steadiness. You can browse this data in the Mobility category. You can also receive a notification and share your notification with others if your steadiness becomes low enough to put you at increased risk of falling in the next 12 months.
Headphone audio levels: Audio level measurements from connected AirPods, EarPods, or other compatible headphones are automatically stored in Health. You can review this data in the Hearing category to help you understand your headphone listening habits.
Sleep history: If you set up a sleep schedule in Health, iPhone estimates the periods youíre lying in bed with the intention to sleep. You can review this data in the Sleep category to help you meet your sleep goals.
Health records from your healthcare providers: You can set up automatic downloads of health records of your allergies, medical conditions, medications, and more from supported healthcare organizations (not available in all countries or regions). You can browse these records in Health.
Health data from Apple Watch
After you pair iPhone with Apple Watch, periodic heart rate and blood oxygen measurements are automatically sent from Apple Watch to Health, where you can browse highlights, trends, and details in the Heart and Respiratory categories. You can also set up Apple Watch to send additional information to Health, including the following:
Exercise minutes and other activity metrics. You can view these metrics in the Activity category in Health on iPhone.
A history of time in daylight (Apple Watch SE 2nd generation, Apple Watch Series 6 or later, and all Apple Watch Ultra models). The ambient light sensor in Apple Watch estimates how much time youíve spent in daylight. You can view details in the Other Data category in Health on iPhone.
Notifications about high or low heart rates, low cardio fitness (watchOS 7.2 or later), and irregular heart rhythms (not available in all countries or regions). You can view the details about these notifications in the Heart category.
Environmental noise levels and notifications about loud sounds. You can view the details about noise in your environment in the Hearing category.
A history of hard falls (Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch Series 4 and later). In the Other Data category, you can view details about the number of times fallen.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-23, 12:56 PM  
Bearybuff

Hi,

So, do you have to pay for all of these Apple features?

Fitbit has something called a paywall and although you get basic health info, the hyped selling points you have to pay a subscription to get. It's kinda confusing when you are reading about the watches as this extra pay thing doesn't always seem apparent to me. Apparently, the fitbit 6 has a paywall. That had really good reviews, but I already have subscriptions in other areas of my life that I pay for and haven't used. Grrrr
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-23, 10:31 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearybuff View Post
Hi,

So, do you have to pay for all of these Apple features?

Fitbit has something called a paywall and although you get basic health info, the hyped selling points you have to pay a subscription to get. It's kinda confusing when you are reading about the watches as this extra pay thing doesn't always seem apparent to me. Apparently, the fitbit 6 has a paywall. That had really good reviews, but I already have subscriptions in other areas of my life that I pay for and haven't used. Grrrr
I don’t have any subscriptions for my Apple Watch. The info I posted is standard. And I didn’t list everything. For example, the newest update now tells me time in daylight. Like I said, there are other apps that can be synced and may cost money but I don’t use them.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-23, 07:01 AM  
JessicaW

I love Suunto. They are from Korea and pricey. But they have a ton of amazing features. It's worth a look: https://www.suunto.com/en-CA/Campaig...oaAowTEALw_wcB
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-23, 10:52 AM  
red1013

I got my Apple Watch two years ago for Christmas and I love it. I've never paid for any kind of app for it, and I get more than enough health info for me.

Tags
apple watch, fit bit, fitbit, fitness tracker, fitness trackers