Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-08-22, 04:35 PM  
Mickey12

Bee I got my card today!!!! Thank you so much! What a fun surprise for the new year.

Cataddict I'm glad you were able to get your pain source figured out. It stinks when it doesn't hurt while doing exercise but then hurts later. That makes it so hard to figure out what to avoid. Did your doctor tell you to avoid anything specific? Did he say to lay off exercise for a while? When I hurt my back, my PCP wanted me to keep active as much as I could tolerate but the physical therapist was much more cautious and really didn't encourage any activity except the exercises I was doing there. It's sometimes hard to know what to do.

Today I did another new DVD, Tonya Larson's Trim and Toned in 20. It uses a stability ball and has an upper body, lower body, and core section. It's moderate work and has a good variety of moves. I have 2 other Tonya DVDs. I like her demeanor and she has segments of the workout which are faith based which I appreciate. It's a nice mood boost and pick me up on days when I need it.

We had a painter come to the house today to take a look and give an estimate for us to get basically the whole interior painted. It's my husband's cousin so that helps take away some anxiety. We have tackled a few rooms ourselves over the years, but we REALLY need just about every room done. He gave us color samples to choose what we want and he will get back to us with an estimate. I'm excited! We pretty much already picked out the colors we want. We're not going too crazy with anything dark or unconventional and we have chosen basically the same colors we already have for our master and TV room. The same thing happened when we got new carpeting. I ended up getting pretty much the same colors of carpet in all the rooms that was already there. We really don't like to change things.

It was a sunny but cold day here. I like seeing the sun glisten off new snow. It was pretty.
Old 01-08-22, 06:35 PM  
manleym

ChelePA there are so many teachers out in my district that district Admin (ivory white tower who makes all the decisions for us but haven't been in the classroom for a long time and no I'm not bitter or anything) are having to sub in middle and high schools. At the elementary level when a sub doesn't pick up a job the kids are split between the other classes. That's pretty impossible at middle and high school I guess with schedules, etc. The district I work in just sent updated Covid protocols and they do change as CDC changes. I think you made the right call not going to the wake. I know it wasn't an easy decision, but the best for your family.
And yoga breathing - I only breathe out of my mouth if the instructor is/says so. Usually that's in downward dog or shavasana. For the workout itself I breathe in and out of my nose, but do try to make it controlled and as Bee's son called it, "Darth Vader breathing." LOL!

Cataddict I'm so sorry you're still dealing with the pain, but glad you saw the Dr and have a plan. And also pain meds. Sounds like he has a great sense of humor! It is nice when Drs aren't offended by informed and educated patients. I think half the time the patient knows more than the Dr because they're living it. And sometimes it's a repeated injury or illness so the patient has "been there done that" and knows what to do. And snush - HA! Made me giggle! She said "snush!"

Bee thank you for the card! LOL!! So cute!! Made my day!!

Nathalie I also love having 2 weeks off at Christmas. The hardest part of going back is getting back on my sleep routine. I get up early (alarm goes off at 5:15, out of bed at 5:30) so that's always an adjustment. Glad you enjoyed your time off and glad things will settle down when you return.

Kim how fun having the painting project and you don't have to do it! We remodeled our house years ago and who knew that there were that many 1000's of shades of white (or pick your color)?!? I hope you have fun with this project and glad your painter is a relative and you feel comfortable with him. That makes a huge difference!

Kittybug LHB is an absolute killer! I haven't pulled it out in awhile for that reason!

Horusosiris I don't blame you for thinking about leaving the university. I'm going to call the state this summer to see when I can retire. I might be eligible now, or if not it should be next year. I'm on the 2 yard line either way.

Most of ya'll are dealing with snow, or snush, or something wet. We're just dealing with cold and severe temp swings right now. It's dry so far. Well, besides the mist and being overcast. Stay safe and warm everyone!

Waves to KateTT, FOLV, BabyW!! I think I included everyone but please forgive me if I didn't.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-22, 06:51 PM  
manleym

Now for the workouts:

I can't remember where I left off so I'm starting with Wednesday.

Wednesday - Caroline's Only The Glutes Workout with Dumbbells EPIC Endgame Day 3 This just FLEW!! LOVED!! I used Cathe’s green band so if you're looking for a workout for Cathe's bands this would be a good one! Each complex is 3 minutes of 2 exercises. Caroline emphasizes quality over quantity and the finisher is 100 Banded Hip Thrusts. I also added on her 20 Minute Glute Workout with Ankle Weights (Optional) Knee Friendly. It was a great add-on and a real burner after the other workout.

Thursday - CL #54 80s Style Cardio With Low Impact Blasts. I wanted a cardio workout since I'm doing Caroline's strength and this fit the bill. We had a cold front move in so I was feeling creaky in my bones and didn't have alot of umph. This was a fun workout and not super intense but did get my HR up.

Friday - 5 Parks Yoga - Morning Jungle Flow Yoga Class Yoga Retreat Series, which felt GREAT! I needed it after feeling so stiff. Then I did Caroline's Revolve Dumbbell Full Body Circuits Workout EPIC Endgame Day 4. Like alot of her total body workouts, this is PHA style and another great total body. The finisher was 100 Bodyweight Sumo Squats. Since these workouts are 45 minute-ish I like doing add-ons to round it out to an hour. I did her Dumbbell HIIT Workout at Home 15 Minutes, which was perfect! It's metabolic moves so you use lighter weights but faster reps. The finisher is 30 sec burpees. And I think I've found my new favorite stretch - Guided by Angie 10 Min Cool Down + Stretch- end your workout right! The scenery is breathtaking and I liked all of the moves. She doesn't talk or cue, but displays the current and next move (title only - no preview) by the countdown timer. I'm going to try to remember to do this stretch more often.

Today I did CDornerFitness Live Step Aerobics Workout Fast Basic Step Choreography 136-138 BPM #78, which was alot of fun! The music was great! I liked that the choreography wasn't difficult but the beat fast enough to get a really good workout. Since it was about 45 minutes I added on Step Fit with Bronwyn 25 Minute Beginner/ Intermediate Step Workout Part I. It was good for cool down or an quick, easy workout.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-22, 08:12 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I'm back, Watulans!

So our hair stylist got exposed to someone with Covid when she was out of town so Hair Max has been postponed for weeks as she waits for testing results and potential isolation. Hopefully she doesn't get sick---she does take precautions and has been vaccinated---so we are keeping our fingers crossed that she's okay, for her sake not just for our hair's sake. I keep thinking it may be a sign that I just give in to the grey that is growing in fast and furious.

manleym, was that the first time you've tried Chris Dorner? I enjoy her workouts too and have been doing the low impact ones a lot lately due to my injury. I do wish she named some of the workouts better so that I could distinguish between them lol. I'm noting "yellow top" or some other feature of what she is wearing so I'll know the difference. I can't imagine what it must be like to teach in the Time of Covid---so many changes and it happens so quickly.

Kim, the doctor didn't tell me anything specific that I shouldn't do, but I'm not doing anything but very shallow lunges and squats at this point. Oh, and it is exciting to get painting done! I agree with manley that it is really mind blowing how many different shades there are, some looking identical to one another. The only other caution I would make (and we found this out the hard way) is that the color will always look darker on the wall than it does on the paint swatch, and it can look significantly darker.

Nathalie, yay on getting the booster quickly and double yay on enjoying your much needed vacation time!

BabyW (NOT "Big"BabyW), sometimes life issues can seem like a lot to deal with, and we are not babies when things weigh heavily on us. We are Fierce Watulans, but we are also human. And yikes on the bad reaction to gabapentin! I guess there is no medication that doesn't have side effects at least for some people.

FN1, forgot to mention the yucch on Shovel Max.

bee, I hope you find some relief and a solution to your pain and sleep issues. I'm sure it's frustrating.

Kate, sending big hugs to you and to horusosiris. Chele is right that we need a group hug! MamaW, maybe a group "hang in there" cowbell?

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-22, 08:55 AM  
Mickey12

Oohhh, you guys, I just checked out Chris Dorner on YouTube. Wow, she has a lot of energy! I like that her dogs are around too, makes it so fun. I’m amazed that she can do a workout, cue it, and respond to comments from her Live participants all at the same time. I remember an article from Charlene Prickett years ago where she explained how she got the job of hosting her It Figures TV show. She said she was one of the few who auditioned that could do the workout, cue, and maintain a camera-worthy persona all at the same time. I think she said she really wasn’t seriously looking for the job.

So, anyway, Chris’s workouts look really good. I hope to mix in some.

Manley I don’t like the “creaky in the bones” feeling either. When we were in Florida in December my knee (which often has a twinge or ache) didn’t hurt at all. The day after we were home, it started hurting when I went down steps. I think the cold weather definitely affects it.

Cataddict, are you seriously considering letting your hair go natural? What color is your natural shade and/or what color are you now? My sister finally let it happen but the transition wasn’t too drastic because she was coloring to blonde and going from colored blonde to brown with mostly grey mixed in didn’t seem too much of a shift. It’s not an easy decision.

Cataddict yes, the paint color looking darker on the walls than on the sample is definitely part of my thought process. I am leaning towards lighter colors because of that. Our house is small so none of the rooms are expansive and I definitely don’t want them to feel any smaller which I fear might happen if we go too dark. And yes, Manley it’s crazy how many shades of white there are. I think I’m just going to tell the painter to pick a ceiling white for us. Or, I think one of the white colors is actually called “ceiling white”. That’s probably going to be it.

Happy Sunday my Watulan friends.
Old 01-09-22, 02:47 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh my gosh you guys! There's so much to comment on!!! Where have I been?!?!

Hubby has never been on ambien, so that was not the one that made him do strange sleep walking things -- I will spare you the details of what he did but if we were ever to have a girl's night out with some wine, I would definitely spill those details so we could all have a laugh together. At any rate, I can't remember what the gabapentin issue was for him -- if it was that or something else, but he's not taking it anymore. As for me..... cataddict, though the PT never said "sciatica" I think that's exactly what my problem is. And I think if I had had it diagnosed right away maybe I wouldn't be in such a mess at this point, but it is what it is. The PT definitely told me to not do any forward bending moves, and I'm not to flex my foot -- pointing ok and there's some "flossing" that she's having me do where pointing is a main player. If you need stretches or movement that I've been shown, I can email you but it seems like you have things under control for what you're going through. It is a bummer! But hopefully we'll be in better shape soon.

On the breathing, Chele (and manleym, I had completely forgotten the Darth Vader breathing but it gave me a good chuckle to see you mention it), I was going to tell you that in yoga they definitely tell you to do nose breathing most of the time. I don't know why but I have some thought in my mind that somehow it's better to do nasal breathing. But my husband is a mouth breather -- he had his nose broken when he was young and it just doesn't work very well now. Oh the snoring!!!

Nathalie, I have a card here for you -- I wasn't sure about postage to Canada -- seemed like I might need three forever stamps and it's a small envelope. So I was planning to go to the post office and get an international forever stamp (what a concept!) but I haven't made it there yet!!

Kim, very exciting about the painting and it's funny about sticking with the same colors -- sounds like us, though we haven't actually painted the inside since we moved here in 2005. We really should. We did paint the exterior (well, a painter did that for us) and we went from a light color to a dark brown and it looked so much better! We love it that dark brown color. But get this.... that was probably three years ago? We still haven't put exterior lights back. My husband hated what we had and couldn't find anything else he liked. So it's always so friggin dark! He drives me nuts with dropping the ball on the finishing work of projects like that. That said, he just realized we had a leak in our propane tank and he fixed it in five minutes. He's great at that kind of stuff.

Gray hair! I think I told you guys that over the pandemic I let my hair go gray. I have finally cut off just about all of the dyed stuff -- it was definitely awkward having it grow out, but lockdown was the perfect time. I will not lie -- I look so much older now, but I love not having to worry about getting the color done. It's very freeing.

This morning I did the newest cardio on Team Body Project youtube, and as I told Chele in the GD thread she started, something about the movements in that loosened me up and I feel the best I've felt in at least a couple of weeks. I can't believe how much happier I feel! I feel like I'm high or something (not that I even know what that feels like ) but I definitely have a new lease on life. I'm so happy.

Ok, on that note.... I think I will stop now before this is too much of a Moby Dick post and in case the forum gives me any trouble. But waves to all.
Old 01-09-22, 03:23 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Happy Sunday!

I haven't decided what I might do today, workout-wise. I still am avoiding lower body workouts so it does limit my choices a bit. I'm on Day 3 of the meds and I was hoping all pain would be gone but not yet. Still, I'm not gonna complain because it is much much milder than previously. I might pick out another Chris Dorner. One I chose the other day didn't really click with me so I think I needed a break from her since I've been doing them so much.

...and since I mentioned Chris, Kim, I think you will like doing her workouts. At first I was a bit put off at her talking to her "audience" but it doesn't bother me now. I even recognize some of the names, kind of like in Cathe Live without the faces to go with it. Oh, and I'm still very much on the fence about letting my hair color go natural. I'm unclear as to what color the non grey "real" color is as it's been a long time and my hair has naturally evolved from blonde to light brown to dark brown to almost black over my lifetime. I think it's now kind of a mousy brown. I think I may still have too much vanity left to let it grow out completely.

bee, I put off going to the dr. as well and if I hadn't been able to get a quick appointment I probably would have made it worse with my halfway measures. I'm trying to avoid going to the dr. in general since they are slammed and there's the possibility of exposure to Covid/flu/cooties, but a combination of the continued pain plus DH "encouragement" (read: nag) got me there. I have been combining the meds with gentle foam rolling, figure 4 stretching and some neural flossing as you mentioned. I would appreciate it if you sent me what your PT had you do to make sure I'm not missing something that will help it go away faster!

Waves and hugs to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Old 01-09-22, 09:15 PM  
ChelePA

Cataddict...hoping the meds start to kick in soon and you have complete relief. Glad you have a great doctor who listens with a good sense of humor. I think I might purchase that mobility download. Going to see if there are any others that might be good for my level. Did she ever do senior classes on Live? Thanks for the recommendation!

Bee...I feel like I get a much deeper breath when I can blow out of my mouth. I get exercise rhinitis so if it's an intense workout, there's no way I can do both through my nose. With yoga or meditation, it's usually not a problem. I guess I will follow the instructor like Kim and if doing it on my own, just do what's most comfortable. And thanks for the card...made my whole family smile

Kim...stay warm tomorrow. Negative wind chill factors...brrr. Makes my daughter happy since she got a 2 hour delay. We painted every room in our first house. We gutted it and remodeled so it was quite a project. I became an expert at it but absolutely hated it. In the future, would definitely hire a painter. I always seem to stick with similar colors as well. When you like something, why not

Manleym...sorry you are feeling the stress at school as well. We have a system set up to go virtual for the high school. It's rampant. I feel like they should have done online classes for 2 weeks after the holidays.

Nathalie...2 weeks is so nice...but definitely hard to return. In previous years, my husband saved several vacation days to have around 2 weeks off also. This year unfortunately they were all used due to my accident. Glad you got the booster. My daughter is scheduled Tuesday for hers. Her place of employment is requiring the vaccine or weekly testing, starting in February I believe.

Kate...keeping you close in my thoughts and prayers.

My workouts the past 2 days included my usual Peloton cycling class with half mile walking afterwards. Now on the treadmill, I am trying to walk at a much slower pace and not use the rails for support. I can only walk at 1.5 or so to keep my balance. Like bee mentioned, I tried Team Body Project's newest low impact workout. It was perfect for me. I love that they use real people as their background exercisers. There were a few different options to change intensity depending on your level. Moves were at a nice pace that I didn't feel rushed. It was great being able to add another type of cardio that also helped work on my range of motion and balance. Today, I clicked on one they recommended but it was definitely too fast for me. It was a low impact HIIT. I was able to do all the moves but at a much slower pace. They actually had low and high impact options in this one. And again, it really is nice to watch others at different levels. I think this is one of the attractions to Cathe Live. Progress not perfection is their motivational phrase. So true!!! Looking forward to checking out more classes. Bee...do you mind sharing the cost of the membership? I am considering it to have access to all workouts.

Wishing everyone a wonderful start to the week! Stay safe!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-22, 10:34 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello Watulans!

Today I did Cathe Live #121 Sweat, Jump and Pump, with some modifications. I'm being cautious about doing lunges and squats and no high impact for me yet.

Chele, Cathe has 2 lives that are geared toward seniors--#9 and #152 (appropriately called Senior Fit and Senior Fit 2). I've done #9 and I liked it. The moves could be modified--some were done on a chair. Good that you are able to get some variety in your cardio and that you found something you like in Team Body Project.

Time for a glass of wine to celebrate the Steelers victory and keeping hope alive for the playoffs!

Old 01-09-22, 11:05 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Ah, we are celebrating the Warriors win here -- with the return of Klay Thompson. Pretty fun night.

Chele, TBP $120 for the whole year. $20/month or $45 for three months. You probably saw this but Sherry mentioned that if you sign up for a year you lock in that price (going forward, presumably). Oh and all my breathing comments were about yoga. I think I probably huff and puff with my mouth during more intense workouts. For some reason I thought you meant yoga.

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in